Game box art challenge?

Correct! (This is a different image file than the one I was using, but is functionally the same. I’m on mobile, not at my PC)

Such remarkable box art for such an unremarkable game. Origin hyped and hyped this game as their next big thing after Wing Commander III. In fact, I believe it was delayed multiple times and was supposed to come out before that title.

I was very excited for it - and then so disappointed in the final product.

We did get cool box art from it, though.

Very memorable box (obviously, I remember it well!). I believe I actually bought it in a 3-pack with System Shock 1 and Wing Commander III. Pretty good bundle!

The game was janky, but once I got into it, I remember feeling there was some pretty cool stuff going on in it. In a technical sense, it was Alone in the Dark 2.0–using its 2d painted backgrounds with fixed camera and 3d character models. The animations were pretty astonishing for the time, though I think detailed animations and probably a lack of good blending tech made the controls feel unresponsive half the time.

Guess I have to find a new box!

94 was a helluva year for PC gaming.

Going a little further back for this one…

Capitalism 2?

@Left_Empty / @tfernando / @nijimeijer : How many floppy disks was Lost In Time on? I’m trying to google that information but can’t find it!

Looks like 12 or 13 according to the “cover art” on Moby Games.

Project Space Station?

It was split in 2 games, and 6 or 7 floppies each.
The game wasn’t Full Motion Video (not at all as something like Quantum Gate, which was released shortly after — and which is amazing by the way): it was mostly animated digts, about 3 frames per seconds. It also didn’t have many voices if I recall?

You got it, @copeknight!

Glad someone else remembers this game, one of the first games made by Larry Holland (his name was going to be in my next clue), who went on to make X-wing and TIE Fighter.

I was an astronomy nerd in grade school, and I had a subscription to a kids astronomy magazine called Odyssey. Every month there was an advertisement for this game. I feel like I asked my parents for it repeatedly and somehow never got a copy until I played it on my first IBM PC in high school in the 90s.

For such an early game, with clunky CGA graphics, it’s a pretty good simulation. Worthy of an update.

I thought it was short clips of actors, but I’ll defer, I don’t remember that well.

I played a lot of the Apple version of P:SS in grade school. I completely did not understand how to figure out which astronauts would work well together.

This is one of the earliest games I remember being excited for. I ordered it directly from HESWare via mail and it took forever to get it! Like @tfernando, I struggled with understanding how to get astronauts to work together. It didn’t help that the error message about it was pretty oblique. (Something about not having enough power which I couldn’t understand because I definitely had power.)

Here goes:

Heroes of Might and Magic 2?

Whenever I see muddy brown like that, the only game that ever comes to mind is Quake, boxart or otherwise.

Neither HOMM nor Quake.

Navy Seals?

Not Navy Seals

Lionel Neckbeard’s Robert E. Lee Simulator II: The South Rides Again!