Game box art challenge?

That’s Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers

It is! And the weird shaped box, too! PC boxes were sometimes so weird back in the day.

I knew I knew it.

I remember that box well! (Although I didn’t have a CD-ROM drive until much later, so I played the non-voiced version originally.) For me, GK looked like the greatest game ever–a serious story, top-notch art for the genre, cool voodoo theme. And it WAS great (if a little frustrating in the puzzle department). I have to imagine I would have called it my favorite game of that year, as great as 1993/94 were.

Warning: I may have picked a box that is TOO iconic:

Baldur’s Gate 2

Not Baldur’s Gate 2!

Let’s see if this goes too far…

Splinter Cell

Yes, but WHICH Splinter Ce—

I’m kidding! That’s it! I didn’t even have to reveal the chain link fence or the green goggle-glow!

Jeez, I didn’t expect to go again so quick. Well, here we are -

The Lego Movie, the Videogame?

It is not the Lego Movie (I’m not even sure whether that was a real guess or a joke)!

Next image -

Civ 2?

Nope!

Next one, showing a lot more -

Beneath a Steel Sky?

Not Beneath a Steel Sky.

Quake 3?

It is Quake 3! With a box that has really nothing going for it. No merit, no connection to the game, nothing distinct to make it stand out at all, really. The logo isn’t even recognizable, because they heavily stylized it from the original Quake logo. A box that is as disconnected from the game inside as the game inside is from the franchise that spawned it. And yet, a box that contained an awesome, awesome game that I played an assload of.

Very nice. I had never paid attention to the background behind that logo before, but I knew it looked familiar.

New one: