Game box art challenge?

Deux Ex?

God, this would be glorious if it was a JC Denton box.

i dont know at all, didnā€™t expect a biker ;(

Mr Police, I gave you all the clues

:

Narc?

Not even close

The Lawyer

Well, I can only assume nobody played this because the cover is pretty literal. It is of course, The Killing Cloud:

Pioneering 3D open-ish world, sort of a cross between APB and Mercenary, which cunningly used the smog of the title to make up for the underpowered nature of the systems it was running on.

The clouds donā€™t look deadly. Itā€™d make a nice title for a cyberpunk game, assuming The Cloud was some sentient, cloud-based AI.

The US cover is almost a screenshot:

The game is on GOG and Steam. That little label claims stock IMB PC (8088?) + 640K. What was Frontier: Elite 2 demanding? 286 and 2 MB according to PCGamingWiki? I guess thatā€™s why they decided to slice all of the polygons off and pretend it was fog then? :D

According to Amiga Hall Of Light this game had a sub-game on the disks called Astra Ambush:

I know which of them Iā€™d rather play!

Back then, 640ko was an insane luxury though.

Iā€™ve never heard of The Killing Cloud before, but it sounds great. It reminds me of a game I used to play in the 80s on my Amstrad, which I think was called Mercenary. Very rudimentary open world. It hardly had any gameplay or ā€œworldā€ to speak of, but what was there really sparked my imagination. Playing that game made me try to imagine what games like that could be in the future. It sounds like The Killing Cloud from 1991 would have been a fantastic game along that road.

Killing Cloud makes me think of the Terminator game, an incredibly ambitious open-world cat-and-mouse game, with two players trying to kill each other in a wide-open world where everything was made of, like, four polygons.

The screen shots arenā€™t doing it any favours, not least because they donā€™t show any of the below cloud buildings. It looks better in motion (unusually for a 3D game of the era).

Worth it for the station graphics alone!

It looks and plays a lot better than I thought it would. I wonder how much of that is DOS box emulation on a multi GHz PC, vs performance at the time on a 386?

Hereā€™s Amiga A600 performance for reference:

very cool esthetics for sure. I kinda wished that windows ā€œopenā€ world game set on a moon of saturn or whatelse had been thisā€¦ atmospheric (ho ho ho)

As usual at the time, the Amiga version sounds and looks way better. gonna try it with a 68060 if it works !

OK, no excuses this time. I know people played this game, and the US and European art is basically the same.

Tau Ceti?

A PC game?

By the way, Killing Cloud is beautiful on a 68020. Just need the manual to actually understand how to set up my plane thing in the beautiful but confusing interface.
Also awesome title music!