Game box art challenge?

Dogs of War?

I just googled Contra with a ferrari and nothing came up, so I’m drawing a blank.

@LeeAbe got it!

That game is weird, it is like one of those Ocean games for the 8bits computer mashing up multiple games in one, but for the NES. Even the soundtrack feels C64-ish.
And what a cover.

Another one of those games I barely remeber. Stuntman something I thought. Anyway, will try to post something tonight.

Probably way too easy…

Probably no one even saw the first post since it was Friday night, but here is a second frame anyway.

No clue really… Sword of the Stars

Let’s go with Ace Combat 2. I’m too lazy to go beyond the first flight sim that came to mind.

Master of Orion?

Solar Winds?

Nothing yet, and besides being space, not the correct kind of game either.

I can’t even assess if I know this cover, but it sure does a nice job evoking a patchwork of all my childhood!

Starflight 2?

Doh! And I had been playing it for the past week XD

Bingo!

Really? How does it hold up?

I come from the Megadrive remake of the original, so I have quite a few issues with the interface (quite glitchy, might be DOSBox related, but maybe not?), the extra menus and button presses needed (ironic, for a PC game, but it feels like the goal was to allow playing it with a joystick!). On the other hand, I was even more surprised by some technical feat or ambitious ideas. The universe feels huge and mysterious.
There is something magical about space games of that era that seems to have been somewhat lost since. Maybe simply because the 3D hasn’t been leaving enough space for the imagination, in my case? I just love the routine of getting into a new system, scanning and sorting stuff - but I am very biased toward that kind of stuff.

I found that speeding up the CPU cycles didn’t impede the game’s playability and made it much less annoying navigating the menus.

Next one:

Shanghai 2: Dragon’s Eye.
That’s not it, but I can’t remember the name.

Frame 2: