Game Boy Micro Comparison Shots

Got one today and it is amazingly petite.
But, and this is where the Apple design department is really really clever, it’s not really.
It could be the size of the Shuffle if they wanted or even smaller. There’s smaller 4GB players out there, but the Nano seems so small because it’s designed to look like a standard iPod (with a harddrive), but smaller, instead of looking like a USB-key with a small colour-screen.

But it is the perfect size. And finally it comes in black.

I dunno, I saw that site where someone took one apart, it looked like everything was wedged in there pretty tight to me.

Sure they could have gone without the wheel and the screen but then it would just be a higher-capacity Shuffle, and that’s missing the point.

If you want small in an mp3 player, you can always go with the mobiBLU.

Wow, that thing is utterly ridiculous. I’d be worried about swallowing it.

Neat, but the Nano is actually a more convenient shape (i.e. thin), albeit larger. That cube thing looks like it would be uncomfortable in a pocket.

Wow, that thing is utterly ridiculous. I’d be worried about swallowing it.[/quote]
Fatty.

Yeah, I totally agree about the pocket thing. But the way they have that small plastic clip on it, I believe it’s meant to just hang from the earbuds around the neck, or kept in a backpack or something. Not exactly how I’d like to carry it, and I really wish they made a flattened design, but I’m a sucker for tiny gadgets.

Are there? In overall volume and/or thickness? I’ve seen smaller 1GB players… but I haven’t seen a 4 nearly so tiny. Link? :)

No, they can play it now. You can select English or Japanese in the game.

Oh nevermind. I was thinking of the DS version.

$130 things that are smaller than a quarter are a recipe for being extremely upset with oneself.

Are there? In overall volume and/or thickness? I’ve seen smaller 1GB players… but I haven’t seen a 4 nearly so tiny. Link? :)[/quote]

I just did the math, and even the iAudio U2 (which doesn’t currently go beyond 2 GB) is bigger than the Nano by volume (though it’s also more feature-rich).

I think the Mini was poor value and the Shuffle is crap, but I have to admit the Nano is very cool.

By the way, I think one is supposed to wear the mobiBlu cube on a necklace.

Does the necklace come with a man-sized skirt? Because that’s totally gay.

(Don’t get me wrong–the mobiCube looks neat. Sort of like a tiny little GameCube. But no way do I want that thing bouncing around on the end of a necklace).

The Nano focuses all of its size reduction where it counts: thickness. It’s the best iPod that Apple has done since the original. Also, 14 hour battery life.

Does the necklace come with a man-sized skirt? Because that’s totally gay.[/quote]

Hey, you’ll get no argument from me! You might as well wear a tag that says, “YANK THIS HARD.” (Not that I haven’t done that, in other contexts.)

I read a review that said it’s hard to use the mobiBlu’s joystick, not because there’s anything wrong with it but because it’s on a plane perpendicular to that of the screen. Rings true.

And Ben’s point above rings true for all these little players. I’d only want to carry them in a zipped-up pocket with the earphone cord coming out.

Anyone know if the GBMicro plays GB and GBC games? I almost pre ordered one at lunch. I am really not happy with my SP anymore. The screen is just too muddy.

EDIT Guess not

The Game Boy Micro can play Game Boy Advance games, but it isn’t compatible with classic Game Boy cartridges or the eReader peripheral. The handheld also requires an adapter when connecting with GBA players, since it can’t use the old cables.

:roll:

I wouldn’t be caught dead wearing that thing as a necklace. I keep my current player in my backpack anyway, and when not on the move it sits on top of my desk. So the cube design doesn’t really affect me. I don’t know though, I’m considering buying it but I’ve been waiting to see if something else comes along. I won’t touch the iPods because of the iTunes requirement.

This new mobiBLU one looks nifty though.

It’s unfortunate that it doesn’t play the old games, but it does reinforce who they think they’re selilng this to. Either way, the screen on the GBM is backlit so that’s worth the upgrade IMO if you don’t have a DS and you don’t play a lot of the ancient stuff on GB or GBC.

–Dave

I really dislike playing GBA games on the DS which would be the only reason I bought one of these.

The portability interests me. I can fit the DS in my pocket, but just barely. I’d definitely carry the GBM with me everywhere I go.

–Dave

The size is way cool, no question. It’s still too expensive, though. $100 is a lot to pay to buy a smaller version of a handheld that I already own.