Game buying strategies

It seems at certain points in the past certain retailers, Best Buy and EB come to mind, would reliably discount PC games on the weekend after thet came out. But lately, I think due to the shrinking market, they don’t seem to be as agressive in their discounts.

Specifically I’m looking to buy Evil Genius and I’m wondering should I wait until the Sunday circulars or is list price the best I’ll likely due for the next couple of weeks? Also there is a bonus CD (at least in the UK) what are the odds one of the US retailers will carry that?

I don’t mind paying full price (although $50 is the nose bleed section of game pricing for me), but I’ll be kicking myself if I see it for $35 with a bonus CD in a week or two.

The blockbusters, the big games with the big ratings, seem to keep their price for about 12 months, then drop substantially. Knights of the old Republic, for example, just went down to $30 in the UK. Some of the good games that aren’t quite blockbusters, ones that tend to average around 80% in the reviews, can drop their prices after only a few months. I remember being able to pick up Empires: Dawn of the Modern World, for about $20-25 only 2-3 months after it was released, which was a very substantial discount. If you wait a couple of years, you can pick up incredible bargains. I never played NOLF2 the first time around, but it is now selling on play.com for only 4.99 sterling (about $10), so I picked that up when I ordered W40k: DoW. That’s not bad for a game that averaged 90% in the reviews, and is highly regarded by many, especially when you consider that the original costs more!

Then there’s Spellforge which is still retailing at $29.99.

For PC games of consequence, you can be almost guaranteed that there will be a one week discount at Best Buy on the week following release. If it doesn’t happen that week, it occurs the week it comes out or two weeks after release. You cannot count on discounts like this on console games.

If you want to buy the game today but want to be protected against these sales, simply buy it at full price from Best Buy the first time. They will price match their ads (or anyone else’s for that matter) for 30 days after you purchase the game. There’s really no good reason to go to EB or Gamestop anymore unless you’re buying used or you absolutely must have that game three days before Best Buy gets it in, which is usually the Friday of the week a game ships.

–Dave

If the game you are looking for isn’t discounted at Best Buy, also check out Circuit City’s weekly ad. I bought most of the last couple expansions for Everquest at $20 (original price $30) from Circuit City the week following their release.

i dont buy games anymore cuz i got cable so i just warez the fuck outta em

and did you really feel it necessary to share that with everybody? :evil:

and did you really feel it necessary to share that with everybody? :evil:[/quote]
Look at the name, the post. Such an obvious troll.

i dont buy games anymore cuz i got cable so i just warez the fuck outta em

-2 forum points: blatant warez troll by poster posing as warez d00d
-2 forum points: incorrect spelling of “leet” handle; should be d3th k1ll4

Carry on.

–scharmers

and did you really feel it necessary to share that with everybody? :evil:[/quote]
Look at the name, the post. Such an obvious troll.[/quote]

why you gotta bring racism into this??? what the fuck man

seriously

what the fuck

Look at the name, the post. Such an obvious troll.[/quote]
why you gotta bring racism into this??? what the fuck man

seriously

what the fuck[/quote]
Ding ding ding.

Clean up, aisle 6.

phpBB seriously needs an “Ignore” function. Even as a joke account, Mr. D. Killer is a blemish on the good Killer name.

u racist bitch

[color=red][size=7]I FEEL MYSELF BECOMING OPPRESSED[/size][/color]

–scharmers

I feel a disturbance in the Force, as if a couple moronic posts cried out and were lost to the ether forever.

I will forever remember the immortal words of DEATH KILLER: “…did u shit urself u racist bitch?”

Oh, my, my. Look out, here’s big brother. heh heh

:oops:

edit:

Thanks for the real quote guys, I screwed the pooch.

I think DEATH KILLER’s deleted post should be preserved. It was brilliant. “why u need cleanup u shit urself u racist bitch?”

Getting back on topic, my game buying strategy is wait 6-8 months for it to drop to $20 or wait another 12 months and get the gold edition for $25. Of course, that usually means I end up cursing for missing that awesome low distribution sleeper hit, but oh well, I have too many games as it is. Should I tell you that I’m just now playing Doom? The first one that is, not 3.

Ninja Mod to the rescue!

As to the topic of the thread: I have no inside information for you, but if you’re even considering waiting for the game for a week or two you might as well.

DKI’s a good guy, why you guys gotta get all down on him?

Anyway, back on track… I’m really sick of buying games at EB or Gamestop
B&M since the sections are so small now and EB opens all the boxes to take the innards out. I stopped buying hot new releases after the MOO3 fiasco. Luckily that was like the last game I was ever able to return to EB!

So now what to do? Try the demos, let others be the sacrificial lambs, read user reviews (particularly finding out the moronic copy protection) etc… and finally buy a used copy or a new one online.