Game buying strategies

and did you really feel it necessary to share that with everybody? :evil:[/quote]
Look at the name, the post. Such an obvious troll.[/quote]

why you gotta bring racism into this??? what the fuck man

seriously

what the fuck[/quote]
How is calling you a troll racist? We’re just calling you a jerk, which has nothing to do with race or color. ;)

I tend to only buy certain titles immediately and wait wait wait for word of mouth and price drops on the rest unless the price is really good.

I waited to get Gothic 1 and 2, Vietcong and Sacrifice since the prices were good and the word of mouth was great on them. I picked up Katamari Damacy quicker than planned only because the price was so good.

Big time immediate buys so far:

CoH
Kohan2
Rome Total War
Warhammer40k

I have to pick up Madden 2k5 to play in my online league soon, otherwise that’s most likely it. I still haven’t picked up Thief 3 and I really wanted to play that.

My game buying strategy is to buy the games in the cool boxes, no matter what the cost. Samba de Amigo, Steel Battalion, FFXI, and Donkey Konga all have super cool boxes. If devs put a game in a cool box you should give them all of your money.

Also, if the preorder bonus is a cow or some type of bobble-head figure you want to make sure to buy that game. Twice. Because two cows.

How did this caps-locked THING get through the Tom Chick filter?!

I tend to buy a few big titles immediately, but mostly for Xmas or birthdays. Rome, for example, was a delayed birthday gift, but I would have found a budgetary reason to buy it anyway.

Usually I wait for a price drop or Gogamer sale. And I tend to buy expansions for the games that I have.

Troy

That’s me, except for games I’ve decided I do want but have also decided I don’t want that much, which I wait for the $10 deal on. If they aren’t AAA titles, that’s often within a year.

And given my habits, tastes, and game backlog, it rarely makes me feel deprived.

The two main legs of my strategy I haven’t seem mentioned are: around here, where the only choices are EB, Walmart, Best Buy, Circuit City, or online, I try to hit EB regularly, because they mark down their slow-selling stuff much faster and more agressively; and of course the 'bay.

Actually, I think that was a pretty good troll.

did u shit urself u racist bitch?

Pretty good in the sense that the interplay between scharmers and DEATH KILLA made me bust my gut laughing. A gold star for each of you.

Hardware limitations go hand in hand with my “value gamer” buying strategy.

Only within the year have I graduated to the GeForce class video cards.

I’ll be playing Doom 3 and Half-life 2 in 2006. There are still plenty of games I have to catch up on right now.

This is such an inauspicious start to posting on these boards…

I’ve always found gamer’s buying habits interesting. Here in Australia the average game price is ~$89, so perhaps we’re simply used to comparatively higher prices. I buy most games without thinking about the price too much because they seem pretty good value to me for the hours of entertainment I (usually) get. A couple of dollars here or there - the sort of amount I might spend on a sandwich - doesn’t seem worth worrying about.

If I’m really jonesing for a title, I’ll usually pick it up at the third-week sale offered by GoGamer or one of the chain stores. Otherwise, $30 ($15 for expansions) is my magical no-pain price point. If an expansion pack is announced before the price dips low enough, I’ll usually just hold out for the inevitable $30 bundle-pack. This is partly driven by my limited gaming time, since it seems silly to buy new games at full price and have them depreciate on my shelf.

• Alan

I’m usually tempted to wait for the price to drop a little, but if the game has a multiplayer component I’m interested in playing, I’ll usually buy it early. There seem to be three phases of multiplayer:

1. Shipping: Everyone’s playing the game, so you can find a decent group of friends to play with.

2. After the game has been out for three months: Game worlds are overrun by idiots and 14-year-olds with lightning reflexes. No more fun.

3. After game has been out for two years: Only die-hard fans left, so the idiots are gone, but everyone’s so good you don’t stand a chance.

When I saw the topic of this thread, I was envisaging some sort of Madden-style strategy, with a white board and lots of arrows all over the place. The strategy would include something about my friend going up the middle of the store to distract all the snot-nosed kids, another friend running interference against the middle aged guy trying to impress the store clerk wth his industry knowledge, and me going deep, way deep, into the store to the cashier’s counter and scoring the winning game right before the buzzer goes off.

No kidding there. I tried Quake 2 multiplayer for the first time a couple of months ago and it feels like the other players have supernatural skills. Good thing I don’t mind being cannon fodder.

Well we have a totally different system compared to the U.S. Many U.S. gamers will return games at the drop of a hat and they also have trade-ins for PC games which we simply don’t have here. The market in the US is big enough to allow this sort of policy.

I think EB in the U.S. also had a 10 day return policy for many years. If you didn’t like the game after playing the hell out of it you could simply return it and get a store credit or your money back. The piracy must have been massive with such policies.

If Australia had such a system all the games retailers here would have gone broke and we’d all be importing our games from the U.S. at twice the price. As it stands we pay higher than the U.S. on average anyway. I think Canada is one of the few countries where they charge much more than we do.

But I can’t complain. I’ve been paying AUD$79-$95 for the last ten years. Games are actually slightly cheaper now in Australia and even more so if you wait. But paying such prices makes one a little more careful when choosing a game considering no store will allow you to return a game package if it has been opened.

That means I am only buying AAA titles or games with great reviews. I also tend to buy into only established game genres where I know the track record of the developer. Most other games I will wait until they come out as a budget title.

DEATH KILLER INTERNATIONAL (INTERGALACTIC DIVISION:

'sup

Also, sort of on topic, when I worked at Babbages in 1996, we had a no questions asked 30-day full refund policy. No questions were asked until you abused the system, at which point we would refuse the refund. I really wish stores these days would have kept that policy in place.

At what point did you judge someone to be abusing this system ? How did you track such a customer ?

We did require people to fill out a little form when they were returning something. Also, when you work in a store long enough, and there are regulars who are always stopping by, you do start recognizing them and learning their behavior, etc. Word gets around too, from other stores. We would even talk to the people at EB about problem customers and such.

That said, I only remember one customer having a return refused. They had a tendency to come in so often, buy 4 or 5 games, then the next day return 3 of them. As if we were Blockbuster or something.

Sounds like a witch hunt to me. ;)

I think Canada is one of the few countries where they charge much more than we do.

Sorry, but no. We pay the Canadian equivilent of the US price. GameCube games run $50-70. The only game I can remember being over $100 was the Warcraft 3 collector’s edition, and we made fun of the people who paid that.