Game Making Tools

I’m glad it’s not excel. at least. It’s maximum resolution of 1,048,576 rows by 16,384 columns is not nearly enough to fully capture the vision of the Derpspace universe. I always said the game Gordon wanted to make just could not be done in excel. I also heard there was some GLA issues on the MS agreement…

It is possible if he used cellular automata to essentially build a holographic (in the Physics sense) engine to get around the limitations of the Excel engine. I wouldn’t expect any less from his genious.

Relevant xkcd:

With godot, how is the multiplaform performance? Compared to native ios or android application?
It really look interesting. If I get the urge to make a game, i’ll try it for sure.

I’ve make a few multi platform app with Xamarin, it works fine but the size of app is pretty bad. Minimal size for an empty app is like 20 meg.

I’m going to recommend unity as well.

It has tons of resources to learn how to do things, and it’s asset store gives you a huge number of 3d assets for little or no cost.

Not sure if it helps, but here’s the 2019 showreel:

2020 showreel is in the making.

Its nice too see what people did with the engine.

My main problem with making game, is the art. I have no skills in that, it would make my game really unattractive.

I could probably make it so bad, it would be visually stunning…

I could check the size of empty Godot apps, by creating one, but I’m too lazy to do it. :)

Don’t let art hinder you. Just get going using Kenney’s assets or something and then consider unique art later.

Thats is actually quite useful! Thanks

Lots of good info in this thread! Glad I started it. Still not drunk, btw, and a little crabby about it.

Godot would be similar I think. I tried it and a mostly empty HTML5 is a 13 meg web assembly, a Windows exe is 30 meg.

Being good quality (if incomplete) Free Software, you can disable unwanted functionality from a build, but you probably have to fiddle with build targets for releases - I haven’t actually done anything with it, so I don’t know exactly how it works.

I’ve played with similar in Unity (easier since it’s checkboxes in a UI) and with everything disabled a HTML5 build was around 5 meg for the runtime, with no code or assets. Without actually testing or knowing for sure, I think Godot would be similar.

Which is far better than the 20 meg mentioned above with Xamarin.

For people ultra-concerned with small file sizes though, Unity are doing their ‘Project Tiny’ thing:

But like a lot of Unity these days it’s a fair way from being finished. ;)

Was the Windows build with or without Mono/C#? The builds without, using GDScript, likely are smaller.

It was the GDScript version, no Mono/C#.

I had a bit of a play today, I really like what I saw. What stood out was the node-based scene structure, the way scenes can be instanced into other scenes as nodes.

It’s like the whole architecture is nested prefabs.

Im sure i don’t have time but if i can ill try to look at Godot and those stock art from Kenney. I have some games in me i would like to make one day. The desire is there if not the capacity!

At this point, unity has better tools and more free assets than Godot. The only limitation with unity is that if your game pulls in more than $100k of revenue or investment, then you need to actually buy a license to the development tools, while Godot is free under the MIT license.

But for folks who are talking here, that revenue issue isn’t really material to the conversation, since we’re talking about hobbyist stuff.

That being said, even unity’s full cost license is still cheap if you eventually need to go down that road.

Really, the asset store is one of the things that will help some of you guys out a ton. Huge numbers of pre made 3d assets that you can get for free, or buy for a few bucks.

All it takes is one Flappy Bird… 😆

Better tools seems to be debatable for 2d, as it tries to provide the same tools for that mode as well, unlike Unity (as far as I’ve seen people discuss it). And the assets can always be imported with a little work.
But, yes, it’s always going to be behind in functionality and documentation, as there are much less resources put into it - no entity component system (coming soon?) and no LOD (ditto?) are particularly limiting. The different workflow might be more appealing to some people, though, although you ran into those documentation issues.

I’m just going to make a game that has a “Supreme” button and IAP purchase option so that every time you push it it charges you $10. After 5 minutes of idling, it sends a message on social media how many times you hit the button.

#evilnotevilbutreallyactuallyevil

For those interested, Godot has full source code available and an engaged contributor community, too. The community has input into what features are developed next, etc. Personally, I find 2D in Godot far more intuitive than Unity.