Game Music 2: Beyond Thunderdome

Oh man, I really dig that Tower of Heaven track. Glad it was there; I was kinda not-super-digging that whole group until that point :(

While I liked the Deus Ex HR track, I can’t believe it beat the Outlaws one. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

BTW regarding the current group, we’re not seriously expected to listen to all 30 minutes of the Mario track, right?

Absolutely not! Per the note, it repeats after 1:51.

Ah, thanks, I hadn’t seen the note.

That Evil Genius menu music, by the by, is perfect Mancini-esque faux-1960’s pop. Loved it.

Oops, my bad. I knew that there had been a track from the HR soundtrack somewhere along the way and I thought this was it. I’ll have to go back and listen, but I think I also really liked the one from OG Deus Ex.

I’m leaving Round O open for an extra day because of the forum migration.

Round P:

@NuclearWinter: Ecco the Dolphin (Sega CD) - Pteranodon Pond ()

0 voters

@geggis: Cuphead - Aviary Action (Composed by Kristofer Maddigan)

0 voters

@PlayingWithKnives: Delta - Title Screen (by Rob Hubbard (inspired by Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack by Philip Glass))

0 voters

@ArmandoPenblade: Tales of Legendia - March (by Go Shiina)

0 voters

What a round: loved each of those four tracks.

I am kinda sad that “March” isn’t likely to crack the top 10 of “miss” tracks as I genuinely love that whole soundtrack, but went with something a little off to the side of the usual timbre of it, but alas :)

I really dunno what to do with the “Cuphead” track, though. I think it must be a very good composition in a style I am completely uninterested in and do not enjoy. It feels needlessly crabby to rate it poorly, though, as compared to something I dislike and also think might be objectively bad :-)

Oh, Thunderdome, how I’ve missed you. I know nothing about the game, but I’ve been enjoying the hour or so of the soundtrack that I’ve made it through after being exposed to March. I share your sadness.

I also enjoyed Pteranodon Pond. I know only slightly more about Ecco the Dolphin than I do about Tales of Legendia, but it’s exactly the sort of music I would expect for a game about dolphins that apparently involves time travel and aliens.

Group O results:

• Tower of Heaven - 3.75
  • Evil Genius - 3.69
  • Overload - 3.63
  • Super Mario Odyssey - 3.35

Group P Results:

• Cuphead - 4.19
  • Delta - 3.63
  • Ecco - 3.5
  • Tales - 3.4

Group Q

@krayzkrok: Into the Breach - A.C.I.D. (Composed by Ben Prunty)

0 voters

@Thraeg: Octopath Traveler - Primrose’s Theme ()

0 voters

@Otagan: Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation - The Liberation of Gracemeria (by Keiki Kobayashi)

0 voters

@Soren_Hoglund: The Witcher 3 - Whispers of Oxenfurt (music director Marcin Przybyłowicz)

0 voters

It is what it is! I’ll have to choose more wisely next time around. I was gonna post like six example tracks but apparently my doc tracking all my favorites is on my other computer -.-

Oh, group P was closed a bit earlier than expected! Only had chance to listen to them once earlier; had a busy day. I would have adjusted my scores a little but I don’t think it would have made much of a difference.

I’m going to be away until Monday so might not get chance to comment as much as usual but quick thoughts on the last few rounds:

That Nier: Automata song drove me mad in the desert because it was such a massive area and difficult to explore so it kept looping and looping. Still, another good Automata tune. Mass Effect 3 did little for me but I quite liked Silent Hill 2. Elite: Dangerous was the surprise piece in group N and possibly my favourite.

I’m very surprised to see the Mario Odyssey track score so low; I love that Steam Gardens tune! Good to see Tower of Heaven pull through though, what a banger.

Sooo Ecco was atmospheric and quietly epic, which I dug. Aviary Action from Cuphead I adore and I nearly submitted it to the last thunderdome. I just love its pace, big brass and frenetic instrumentation. If you’re not tapping something you’re dead. Y’hear that @ArmandoPenblade? ;-) Delta… god, I love Prophecies from the Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack – I love that whole soundtrack. I also love Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence so… I’m not sure how much of my enjoyment of Delta and IK is down to Hubbard or the original pieces. Either way, that SID sound is as on point as ever. I loved the Tales of Legendia way more than I expected too. It shifts around unexpectedly but doesn’t stick around too long either. Great stuff and a real shame it didn’t score higher.

Sorry about that – I’ve been leaving them open for at least 24 hours, but I just forgot that I had posted round P a bit later in the afternoon yesterday.

The intro of IK owes a heavy debt to Ryuichi Sakamoto, but the wild’n’crazy middle section is pure Hubbard :)

Yeah, I managed to vote on the first three. Listened to the last one but by the time I wanted to vote it was closed.

BTW has something changed? Was hitting the “hide results” always disabled once the voting was over (so you could be reminded of how you voted)?

And what the heck, how is that Witcher tune not getting better than a 3.83 so far?

'dome gonna 'dome.

If it’s any consolation, all four entries this round are (currently) looking at a top-five spot among the wildcards. My general impression has been that scores tend to drop a bit towards the end of voting, though, so we’ll see.

The thunderdome is the empire of the weird: I experienced nothing but yawns this round, compared to the brilliance of the previous one (although Ace Combat was pretty nice), and they all are scoring in the 4s (but Ace Combat, wth?).