Game Music 2: Beyond Thunderdome

blllbll

More seriously, I’m totally with you.
I am infatuated with arrangers (or programmers if that is how they are credited), over composers, and the feats some pulled on what is crazy technical limitations on the Nintendo 16-bits hardware more than make its presence obligatory.

Added a silly quote because I wasn’t replying to Gordon, obviously!

Thanks Thraeg, was fun!

And I’m up for another.

Have any of us even looked like we were trying to hide it?

Thanks, @Thraeg!

Whether it’s themed or un-themed, I’m looking forward to Dome #3.

Just want to add my thanks to the chorus as well.

Sorry to get everyone’s hopes up, I’m just putting this here because even if Star Citizen doesn’t live up to its budget/vision, this piece of music, ‘From Pupil to Planet’, used in one of their demos is beautiful. Been meaning to share it here for a while but it doesn’t quite fit the 'dome!

Oh fuck, RIP. Waaay too young.

The FOFT track for Amiga that I nominated was a Daglish composition.

I had no idea he was this young. Really liked his lengthy compositions (Deflektor!).

I was only listening to a cover of The Last Ninja theme the other day (by Jamie Maxwell who did the cover of Traps from Turrican 2 that I sent you a while back krok). I do recall Daglish’s name in the 'dome but unfortunately not the tune… ah, yes, I remember this now. Love it.

Here’s that cover because it’s fitting, and a wonderful rendition.

Oh, this sounds interesting too:

A podcast about game music with interviews of the composers?!?!

I know!

If you’re interested in that, check out Music Respawn.

Not listened to it yet but this was just posted:

@Gordon_Cameron

Cool. I guess this was recorded shortly before Daglish died?

Yeah, I only came across it after listening to the Last Ninja cover above where it was mentioned in the comments after his death. I’m guessing it wasn’t long ago because the series is relatively new.

Aha:

I hope I’m not too off-the-wall, but this is where the search function brought me…

I wanted to glow up the Distance soundtrack, a bit. It’s one of the rare cases where listening to the OST first caused me to investigate and eventually dive in to the game. The setting is racing psychological horror. If a dark part of your subconscious ever wondered what it would be like to go 180 MPH down I-95, ignoring any safety buckets and “road closed” signs…

Enough about that, though. The music provides an appropriate industrial, ambient-techno-dance canvas, informed by biopunk. Some tracks sound like they could have been lifted from a 90’s Nine Inch Nails B-sides CD. I’d like to run a marathon to this, someday.

There is also this random thing…

Not played the game, but will give the soundtrack a spin. Sounds up my alley. That cabinet is very cool too.

I miss the game music thunderdome!

I guess it has been a couple of years. I don’t want to commit to organizing and running another one right now, but might when work calms down a bit (or if someone else wants to pick up the torch you have my blessing).

In the meantime, might I suggest this alternative for your daily-voting-on-music needs? It’s not specific to game music, but if you hurry, you can go nominate some Metal Gear Solid songs for James Bond and pretend.

The Theme Song Thunderdome - Books, comics, TV, music - Quarter To Three Forums

I had hoped to take up the Thunderdome mantle a while back, but balked at the amount of work it would entail. :(