Game Music 2: Beyond Thunderdome

I see you listen to Turisias then

There’s literally a race in one of the RPGs I’ve run based on them!

https://abirsta.obsidianportal.com/wikis/turisians

I would claim shock, but this is the most Armando thing I’ve ever seen.

Holy hell that FFXIV track just BANGS!!!

It is great. Almost makes me want to play a JRPG. Almost.

That’s a good point!

I only played Dwarf Fortress for a weekend many years ago (after the Z axis was added) and lost sleep thinking of it. While this music brings back memories of sitting alone in my girlfriend’s old rented room playing DF on her ex-library computer while she was at work, I love the way the simple sound of the classical guitar and the melancholic tone of the tune compliments the simple ASCII visuals and the harshness of the game itself. It feels very organic and earthy. I think anything more, musically, would have been overbearing. In fact, after the DF theme ended a rearranged version came on featuring other instruments and it was just horrid.

For my entry it was a toss-up between Courtesy and Focus from the Super Hexagon soundtrack and Focus won because it’s just such a driven, intense and emotionally charged track. It’s the sound of being in the zone and on the very edge of failing any moment. Again, it’s just perfect for the game and a banger on its own.

Bizarrely, only a few hours ago, on the day one of her tracks entered the 'dome, I got my first email update from Chipzel about some of her upcoming work and she linked to a TED talk of hers from 2016 about how she got into chip music, the scene itself (including demoscene) and what it means to her, and the creative process vs. fear. Fascinating and inspirational stuff.

So the FFXIV track was epic and what a great mix of sounds. Loved the percussion, voice choir and powerful brass and strings.

The End Run didn’t do much for me I’m afraid. Even after a few listens I couldn’t really grab onto or remember much of the piece.

The scoring is killing me.

Crap I’ve been missing this thread! Joining in late.

Get your scores in!

Just voted for Group B, sorry I missed out on A though.

Was group A decided? Did @Thraeg flip his coin? @Skipper might be able to settle it.

“I like those odds.”

I’d hate to see Outcast face the wheel.

Not yet. @Skipper, you can be the deciding vote for Group A!

Also late to the party on this one.

But I would have voted for Outcast if given the choice.

I’m not able to vote on the closed ones, but here’s my picks:

Dragon’s Dogma - 3
Headlander - 3
Outcast - 4
The Flame in the Flood - 3

Comments:
Outcast made me feel like I was in a fairy tale, which was awesome in a way. Like listening to music of the Wizard of Oz. Very majestic, dreamy and somewhat uplifting. I kept waiting for Auntie Em to show up by my side and tell me things were going to be okay.

You are given the choice. If you make an official vote before @skipper, yours will break the sudden death!

Can you and @Skipper not still assign scores to the Group A tracks?

Nah, it’s closed for some reason to me.

Never mind. @skipper has broken the tie, and Outcast is the group winner!

Yes, I closed the polls because otherwise anyone could break the tie by going back and changing their vote, which felt wrong to me.