Game Music 2: Beyond Thunderdome

“I’m a badass interdimensional action hero! Ix-nay on the Auntie Em-ay!”

I am ok with this. Outcast felt very genre appropriate to me

Same here. I gave both the Headlander track (my nom) and the Outcast track a 5.

Group C:

@Otagan: Freedom Fighters - Main Theme (by Jesper Kyd)

0 voters

@ArmandoPenblade: Furi - You’re Mine (by Carpenter Brut)

0 voters

@SadleyBradley: Chrono Trigger - Frog’s Theme (Composed by Yasunori Mitsuda. This is the in-game version to adhere to RAW, but the official version on the CD soundtrack is superior.)

0 voters

@geggis: Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP - The Prettiest Weed (By Jim Guthrie)

0 voters

Yeah I know what you mean here. It’s got a very dreamy and weirdly nostalgic warm sound.

@ArmandoPenblade: Looks like the video you linked was from Roller Mobster. I remember you talking about swapping that out for this one from Furi. I grabbed the first video based on the song title you entered, but let me know if it should be something else.

You got the right video in here; I jsut forgot to change that column. Thanks :)

Now I am listening to Carpenter Brut albums.

Group B Results

• FFXIV: 4.0
  • Super Hexagon: 3.92
  • Dwarf Fortress: 3.38
  • Mass Effect 2: 3.23

Gah, Super Hexagon was so close! Still, FFXIV was a great track.

This is a dang hard round. I mean, it’s not like I have to vote against any of them – I can rate them all highly. But regardless of who moves on, there are going to be three tragedies here tomorrow.

If there’s a weak point, I’d say it’s Freedom Fighters. It’s good, but I kind of feel like epic orchestral tracks are going to start to bleed together by the time we make it to the end.

Sword and Sworcery is so good. Did Lone Star make it into the dome anywhere?

I love Frog’s Theme. It’s so… triumphant. I’ve always felt it needed a proper treatment – really powerful drums and horns to give it more punch.

That Furi song is a powerhouse.

That’s partially why I’m glad Freedom Fighters came up this early. It’s the track I thought was nominated from that game last round only to find later that I was tragically mistaken.

I’m not glad it came up this time because I didn’t realize the Furi track would be so amazing until I was two minutes into it, tabbing back to this page to see just what in the hell it was and why I hadn’t ever heard it before. Oh well.

Up there with Perturbator, Gost, and Mega Drive as my all time favorites. Trilogy is stupidly good.

Those are exactly my favorites as well.

Back a few years ago when I was doing a college radio show, those were a few artists I played on my show.

You mean the boxart, not the embedded video? If so, I wouldn’t worry about it – that’s just for added visual flavor, and isn’t really important.

All of them are working for me though, and Furi is the only one not hosted on Mobygames – is Mobygames banned in Australia or something?

Yeah, who dared not vote 5 for it >:-(

Not pointing any fingers ^^^^^^

The Freedom Fighters soundtrack was such a surprise when it came out. I would almost say it wasn’t a proper fit for the game, but just as music it was just so clearly music with a vision behind it, especially compared to most video game music of the early 2000s and before. The middle eastern elements (predating stuff like Battlestar Galactica (reboot)) and huge choral arrangements (also in Outcast, but more in the forefront here) really make an impression.

That Furi track is badass, too. I didn’t expect the funky bass!

I actually ended up giving both of these a 4 next to a 5 for Jim Guthrie’s Sword & Sworcery. It has the unexpectedness of Freedom Fighters and the energizing nature of Furi (if less hectic), but its real achievement is how it (and all of Guthrie’s whole score) elevates the whole game. Few games have had their experience quite so inextricably tied to the music, and Guthrie’s work lived up to those demands and then some. The music, like the whole game, is sui generis.

Couldn’t resist listening to the whole soundtrack again after that green invitation.

I’ll readily admit that I have neither the vocabulary nor the ear to speak confidently or authoritatively about these things. But this is the Thunderdome, where we see who shares our taste in music and and who’s wrong. And surely that’s all the confidence and authority I need.

Spoiler: I rated them all 5.

Freedom Fighters was the first of two pleasant surprises. It reminds me a lot of yesterday’s FFXIV track, and I’ve not yet had my fill of epic orchestral.

Furi was the second pleasant surprise, and a slightly harder one to judge. I love the first two minutes. Then 2-4 and 4-6 are both great in their own ways, but by the end I was ready for the ride to be over. As an accompaniment to eating my sandwich, it was a little too intense for me. As a track in a video game, though, I kind of want to play that game now.

Intellectually, I can accept that Frog’s Theme from Chrono Trigger might be straining against the format. Maybe it really does want those stronger drums and horns to give it more of a punch. But every time I listen to it–and it’s only 1:08 long; no one has any excuse not to listen to it a few more times!–another part of me says that’s crazy talk. Those drums and horns are already there! They’re already powerful! The only punch it could possibly want is to be followed by Magus’ Theme.

But instead it’s followed by The Prettiest Weed, which is just fantastic. The whole soundtrack is fantastic, but this is one of my favorites.

Honestly, I think that is one of the weaker tracks (for me) from Jim Guthrie’s excellent soundtrack.