Game Music 2: Beyond Thunderdome

Yes, they’re independent events, but not completely so. There are 10 ‘at large’ slots available, so that type of thing might become relevant.

I don’t think about it too much, but it is there.

I got a chance to listen to it again last night. I’m attributing the annoyance with that sound to my work headphones, which are mostly for VOIP stuff, not really made for high fidelity. On my SteelSeries it sounded a lot more deep and the focus wasn’t -nearly- as much on that organic sound.

Same here. I dub it the 2-4 scale. We could even change the numbers to just go from 6-10, thus it would be the 7-9 scale.

Everything has scored 3 or higher on my part so far. A career in video game journalism awaits.

Ha, same here. I treat three as “neutral” though, so if I don’t have an explicitly negative feeling about it but it doesn’t move me the other way either, 3 is the score.

Group F

@Shimarenda: Tropico - En Brazos de Mi Tierra (Performed by Barbara Ruiz and Jesus A. Perez.)

0 voters

@anonymgeist: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - The Partisan (Originally by Emmanuel d’Astier and Anna Marly. Covered by Mick Gordon and Tex Perkins for the game.)

0 voters

@CraigM: Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time - Gerudo Valley (Koji Kondo)

0 voters

@krayzkrok: Overload - Refinement (Composed by Alister Brimble)

0 voters

Oh wow, Allister Brimble @krayzkrok? Awesome. I look forward to giving that a listen later! Didn’t know he was still doing game music.

Edit: huh, looks like he never stopped!

Group E Results:

• No One Lives Forever: 3.68
  • Gods Will Be Watching: 3.55
  • House of the Dead: 3.5
  • Bionic Commando Rearmed: 2.91

A close round! I liked No One Lives Forever enough but it didn’t really excite me like the Propellerheads-esque House of the Dead track and the mechanical Bionic Commando tune. Gods Will Be Watching was the weakest in that group for me and I swear it got longer with each listen.

I think the nostalgia factor is strong with Group F: the Zelda tune is charming and catchy, and I did give it a 5, but I also have the awesome tune from Overload* a 5, which most clearly haven’t done so far.

BTW for some reason the link to that won’t yield a search result on the YouTube mobile site in Firefox. Even if I typed in Overload OST Refinement I got bupkis. What gives? Was it just uploaded or something?

If it’s new then I think so. I’m ultimately relying on others to do the dirty work unless it’s very old/obscure music which I’ll have to upload myself. I chose the Super Hexagon video over others because it linked to Chipzel’s website so there was at least some acknowledgement of the artist’s work.

Group F has some fantastic tunes from all 4 entries, each works well for the genre of game, each very well done.

Yes some groups have been better than others. Group F has probably been my favorite, with me liking 3 of the 4 fairly well.

It’s probably my least favourite so far. Nothing I disliked, but nothing I really liked either.

This thunderdome thing is insane!

See, I was neutral to disliked almost entirely the last group. I’d take my top 3 songs here over any from group E

I thought this was a weak group personally.

Some interesting tracks, but the Zelda one oozed Rodrigo and Gabriela vibes and got my highest score.

It got mine too (obviously, I did nominate it), but I must admit I was surprised by the Wolfenstein track. I did not expect that. Almost enough to interest me in the game.

Almost.

Group G

@Gordon_Cameron: Crazy Comets - Title song (Composed by Rob Hubbard on C64 SID chip)

0 voters

@krayzkrok: Shadowrun Returns / Dragonfall - Return of the Sixth World (Composed by Jon Everist)

0 voters

@enidigm: Remember Me - Chase Through Montmartre (by Oliviere Deriviere)

0 voters

@NuclearWinter: Ys: Oath in Felghana - Valestein Castle ()

0 voters

Hey, that Shadowrun Returns / Dragonfall video is an hour and a half. Which portion are we supposed to listen to?