Game Music 2: Beyond Thunderdome

The first 2:35. FWIW, the timestamp tags are in the embed URL, and it cuts off correctly on my browser.

Jesus, that Remember Me track is awesome. I was forced against my own nomination’s interest to give it a 5.

Hmm, when I copy it into Android Firefox, it doesn’t cut off for me. Gonna see if just playing it embedded in this thread does.

OK, it does.

See, for me the intentionally “glitchy” digital artifacting detracts from what would have been a 5, so I gave it a 4.

For me, it all worked.

God I love the Commodore 64’s sound chip. So good.

Group F Results

• Wolfenstein: 3.52
  • Zelda: 3.48
  • Overload: 3.4
  • Tropico: 3.33

Closest set of results so far!

I forgot again how this round works. Is only one advancing from each group of four?

One is guaranteed to advance from each group of four. Then, out of the remaining 66 tracks, the top 10 scores advance.

Wow, I thought the Overload track would do better. The one from Wolfenstein sounded a bit overwrought to me.
Different strokes and all that.

Curse my sense of fairness and giving Wolfenstein a 4!

Wow, that is close!

I liked them all this round and while I haven’t played Ocarina of Time, Gerudo Valley really worked for me.

Ahh yeah, that classical flamenco sound is lovely.

Wolfenstein was a slow builder but it exploded just as I expected a Mick Gordon track to. The Tropico song was really cheery and seemed to fit what I know of the game. Overload never clicked with me in the same way as the others but it was by no means a weak track.

This is tough, Crazy Comets and Remember Me both were 5/5 for me.

I liked the rhythm and instrumentation of the Tropico track, but the lyrics were kind of word salad (I speak Spanish) plus, on top of that, the singer on at least one occasion does an entirely non-native speaker thing and gives full syllabic value to the L in “palmas,” making it a 3 syllable word, which just sounds wrong (I suppose it’s the fault of the lyricist, but whatever).

Here is what I think is a punchier version of Valenstein Castle, by arranger S.S.H.

Might not feature the level of metal of a Sword of Justice to appeal to an @ArmandoPenblade or a @CraigM, but I think it is a nice take on that exhausting track.
I also had no idea Oath of Fergana was a remake of Wanderers from Ys!

Count me as another blown away by Remember Me. Always doing unexpected things.

For what it’s worth, I had to go against my nomination’s interest and give Crazy Comets a 5 :)

Only went with a 4 on Crazy Comets because, while very cool, the explicitly noisy bits hampered the fun for me. Seems like it was probably fitting for the game, but still.

If I’ve been keeping track correctly, then, the following ten currently occupy the wildcard slots, with the bottom three being vulnerable each round:

Game Track Score
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP The Prettiest Weed 4.18
Super Hexagon Focus 3.92
Freedom Fighters Main Theme 3.83
Curse of Monkey Island A Pirate I Was Meant to Be 3.62
Headlander Procession of the White Queen 3.59
Gods Will Be Watching Nemesis 3.55
House of the Dead: Overkill Jasper & Brutus 3.5
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time Gerudo Valley 3.48
Emperor: Battle for Dune Defenders of Arrakis 3.41
Overload Refinement 3.4

Spoilered in case anyone regards it as a spoiler; or Thraeg would rather present them with more showmanship; or I haven’t been keeping track correctly, in which case I’d like to hide my shame.

Ah, I was wondering about that! Thanks for sharing.