Game Music 2: Beyond Thunderdome

Hubbard doesn’t mess about does he? Monty was wild too but I could get on board with that more than Crazy Comet which seemed a bit more… scattered and shrill I suppose. I’m sure I said it in the last 'dome but the C64 really was (and still is) a beast sonically.

The Shadowrun Dragonfall piece didn’t grab me but I quite liked the tonal quality and texture of it.

Of this group Remember Me was definitely the stand out track. I’ve never heard glitch orchestra before, let alone with a theremin-like instrument draped over the top, but what a surprising sound.

I enjoyed the Ys track more than expected and with each listen feel it growing on me more and more. Interestingly, the Ys song in the last thunderdome, ‘To Make The End of Battle’, played afterwards and that went down a treat. It may have been a slightly different version…? I don’t recall violins featuring so prominently in the last 'dome’s, or a bass solo…

Yeah, I preferred the Monty track of last time around myself.

Y’all are smoking crack. Crazy Comets is Hubbard’s second best piece, after International Karate which also crashed and burned in Round 1 of the 'dome.

Very cool! Also lol Sword of Justice

Group H:

@CraigM: Metroid - Brinstar Theme (Hirokazu Tanaka)

0 voters

@CraigM: Transistor - We All Become (Darren Korb/ Ashley Barrett)

0 voters

@SadleyBradley: Chrono Cross - Time’s Scar (or Scar of Time) (Composed by Yasunori Mitsuda.)

0 voters

@NuclearWinter: Nier: Automata - A Beautiful Song ()

0 voters

Group F Results:

• Remember Me: 3.95
  • Crazy Comets: 3.76
  • Ys: 3.6
  • Shadowrun: 3.47

I enjoyed the Transistor track, but I think Chrono Cross and Nier: Automata have a slight edge for me. Time’s Scar has a lovely slow build, and A Beautiful Song has lyrics I can’t understand. Either way, I find them easier to appreciate over repeated listenings.

Metroid is in that awkward place where, if I had fond memories of the game, I’d probably like it. I’m a terrible person, though, and I’ve never played any Metroid game, let this one. I’m afraid it comes off as a little repetitive to me, but not necessarily bad.

God that Chrono Cross is one of my personal faves, and that entire Nier soundtrack is a fave.

The success of the CC track has me hopeful for the prospects of my Tales of Legendia track in a couple of weeks :)

I think I was the opposite. The Chrono Cross and Nier: Automata was good, but the Transistor track was great and the singer was very, very good.

The ChronoCross track was my fave, and that Metroid one I guess has nostalgia value for some but it’s nothing special as far as I’m concerned.

Group I:

@Vesper: Hollow Knight - Greenpath ()

0 voters

@Soren_Hoglund: Metal Gear Solid - The Best Is Yet To Come (composed by Rika Muranaka, vocals by Aoife Ní Fhearraigh)

0 voters

@ForgeForsaken: I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MBIES 1N IT!!! - Title Track (Ska Studios XNA game. The whole 13:37 is one song.)

0 voters

@Shimarenda: Blackwell Convergence - Rosa’s Theme (There’s a version of this in every game but the second. This version by Thomas Regin is my favorite.)

0 voters

Never played Hollow Knight, but holy god that track is amazing.

D:

You know what to do then.

It’s good, is it?

Yeah, definitely Transistor and Chrono Cross for me last round. Great to hear Ashley Barrett let rip in contrast to her delicacy on the Bastion soundtrack and I love that drum and bass beat accompanying it all. Chrono Cross really surprised me and is so vital and well paced.

I’m a huge Metroid fan but… I’ve never played the original so the Brinstar theme in all its 1986 NES glory holds little nostalgia for me. I am familiar with the theme though from other Nintendo/Metroid games, my preferred version/iteration being Tallon Overworld from Prime. Either way, I enjoyed this even if I don’t think it quite holds its own in the 'dome.

I really like the Nier: Tomato soundtrack and even with the experience of the game and the context of the song under my belt I’ve never been that keen on A Beautiful Song, particularly compared to other tracks off the OST, some of which fell in the last 'dome.

Only track that really grabbed me of the last 8 was I Made a Gaem with Zombies In It. Blackwell Convergence was pretty cool, too.

For me the Hollow Knight and MGS ones were the standouts, the Blackwell Convergence one was in the middle and the other one was meh (the Guns and Roses’ style voice almost made me stop listening entirely and give it a 2, but some of the rest of the song made me raise the score to 3).

I could easily nominate another dozen songs from that soundtrack that haven’t been picked yet. I was torn on which to go with, but perhaps incorrectly thought that A Beautiful Song had a better chance of doing well in the 'dome.

Hey, FUS RO DAH beat out Baba Yetu and Still Alive. All bets are off in the 'Dome.