Game Music 2: Beyond Thunderdome

Group M

@anonymgeist: Red Dead Redemption - Far Away (By Jose Gonzalez)

0 voters

https://www.icompositions.com/music/uploads/531/48193TIME_FCUK_-_the_soundtrack_pt_1.png
@Left_Empty: TIME FCUK - Isolated Showers (Composed by Justin Karpel)

0 voters

@ForgeForsaken: Outlaws - Outlaws ()
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evXZbJhEl_A

0 voters

@Shimarenda: Deus Ex - UNATCO Headquarters (original version) ()

0 voters

Group L Results

• Final Fantasy VI: 3.87
  • Mass Effect: 3.27
  • Metal Gear Rising: 3.19
  • Final Fantasy XIV: 3.14

I can’t tell if I love or am slightly driven mad by the TIME FCUK song, thus settling for a 3. What a quirkly little ditty!

Is the song from RDR the one that plays when you finally get to Mexico? When I played the game originally for some weird reason I didn’t jump on the waiting horse right away and as a result the song didn’t play. I kept hearing about how the song was perfect for the moment and I was like “what song?”

Anyway, I rather like it. Of course, I rather LOVE the Morricone-esque Outlaws theme. Also the Deus Ex track. The other one I found interesting but also enervating, so 3 it was.

I was so underwhelmed by the RDR song when it happened in that game, especially when the perfect band (Murder By Death) was right there with about 100 different better western songs. Like their Morricone tribute.

I mean, this would have been great (or at least an acoustic cover)

God I love Murder by Death.

Ok I am done. (at least someone at Bungie likes them as much as I do, as they used one of their songs in the Destiny 2 trailer)

Ooo, I am probably going to go see them in October. Haven’t been to one of their shows in like a decade; I’m pumped :-D

I saw they are in Madison in October, I will have to go then. It has probably been like 6 years since the last time I saw them live. Very good live, though during one show I had very strong eye contact from Adam Turla, during most of the set, which felt odd. But being 6’5" in a 100 person venue, I kind of stick out. I remember giving him the silent head nod of approval, and he smiled.

Boy, I felt like Time Fcuk was the stand-out in that bunch, and I guess that makes me a freak. It really sets a tone, and gets you off your guard. If you’ve played the game, that’s very fitting.

Jose Gonzales’ song is real good, but doesn’t change much (which I’m finding is a thing I’m always looking for). And Outlaws is a fine style imitation. Deus Ex is… inoffensive.

This was a better round!

I find Jose Gonzalez very monotonous, musically and vocally, and while the RDR song didn’t move me much on that, I liked the acoustic rhythm and tone of the piece. I can imagine it working well in-game. Two tracks from Westerns in the same round though!

I enjoyed the Outlaws track a lot more, even if it’s not exactly a fresh sound. Morricone smashed it though (I love his Cinema Paradiso theme too).

TIME FCUK reminds me so much of The Beta Band, which is an unusual and awesome thing. That tense melody is a grower.

The Deus Ex track I vaguely remember but it’s very atmospheric, evocative and understated. My kind of thing. Michiel van den Bos has done some great music (Unreal and Age of Wonders 3 too).

Here’s a Western-sounding song I like. FWIW. Saw these guys live a few years ago and they killed. Peculiar video, though.

Please note that the Thunderdome will have a hiatus next week as I’m going to be on vacation. It’ll return on July 16.

Group N

@SadleyBradley: Nier: Automata - Memories of Dust (Medium and Dynamic) (Composed by Keiichi Okabe and Keigo Hoashi.)

0 voters

@Soren_Hoglund: Silent Hill 2 - Theme of Laura (Composed by Akira Yamaoka)

0 voters

@soondifferent: Mass Effect 3 - An End, Once and For All (Composed by Sam Hulick)

0 voters

@Papageno: Elite Dangerous - Frameshift Suite: First Movement ()

0 voters

I liked the Deus Ex track a lot, but I’m a sucker for that late '90s UMX sound.

Man this is a tough one to drop one of my all time favourite soundtracks in.

I am incapable of putting any track from the Nier: Automata lower than a four, and the Elite: Dangerous track is a perfectly fine atmospheric track.

The loser is Mass Effect 3, not because it’s bad, but because I feel it’s adulterating he themes Clint Mansell laid down in Leaving Earth to much greater effect.

But then I basically don’t understand any Mass Effect Choices in this thing. How has there been more than one pick from Mass Effect 1&2, but neither Spectre] Induction nor Suicide Mission have been nominated yet?

I have Theme of Laura on mp3. Ive never even played Silent Hill but somehow I found that and Promise and they made it on to my playlist and ended up a couple of my favourite instrumentals.

I nominated the End Run, which is essentially the same thing as Suicide Mission. Though to me, An End Once and For All is essentially the same thing as Leaving Earth, just with a lower ratio of blaring < giant space object > noise.

Group N Results:

• NieR: Automata - 3.74
  • Silent Hill 2 - 3.62
  • Elite: Dangerous - 3.42
  • Mass Effect 3 - 3.15

Group O:

@SadleyBradley: Super Mario Odyssey - Steam Gardens (Repeats after 1:51 mark. Composed by Mahito Yokota, Koji Kondo, Shiho Fujii, Naoto Kubo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HEEuCeclSM

0 voters

@krayzkrok: Overload - Plus Ultra (Composed by Jerry Berlongieri)

0 voters

@Shimarenda: Evil Genius - Menu 1 (By James Harrigan)

0 voters

@Thraeg: Tower of Heaven - Indignant Divinity ()

0 voters

Whoops, good call that I forgot to post the group M results, @shimarenda. Here they are.

Group M Results:

• Deus Ex - 3.89
  • Outlaws - 3.39
  • Red Dead Redemption - 3.0
  • Time FCUK - 2.79

Oh man, I really dig that Tower of Heaven track. Glad it was there; I was kinda not-super-digging that whole group until that point :(

While I liked the Deus Ex HR track, I can’t believe it beat the Outlaws one. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

BTW regarding the current group, we’re not seriously expected to listen to all 30 minutes of the Mario track, right?