Game Music 2: Beyond Thunderdome

Love the Massive Chalice piece, very evocative and atmospheric. A great start to the round!

I’ve not played Ghouls ‘n’ Ghosts but I liked that stage 1 track quite a bit despite its olde cabinet sound.

Man, I have not heard Solo Sortie for a looong time so not sure how much is nostalgia but I love its passages from that intro, the brass, bass and guitar driven main tune before it softens with those strings/synths and breaks into the fast attack section, bass solo, brass blast out and piano groove (I’m sure my TV speaker couldn’t handle the bassline so it sounds new to me). Excellent stuff and thanks for submitting it @NuclearWinter.

The Shadow Watch piece didn’t do much for me overall but I did like the guitar work and percussion. It ended a lot more abruptly than expected!

Ah, just caught this! That explains it.

Hours late but I’d try convincing you by saying that Rulers View, like other evocative ambient/minimal/textural pieces, don’t necessarily need to go anywhere specifically. I think this one does have a destination though which is a bonus to me: the Clint Mansell/Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross piano section near the end. I love the way it emerges out of that gorgeous wash.

I think the MASSIVE CHALICE soundtrack does something quite unique and very interesting on the first playthrough of the game, at least in my own experience: what is the motif of the soundtrack is introduced very dramatically over the mostly silent initial tutorial battle with which the game starts abruptly. Then you get, amongst the “gorgeous wash”, the almost painful reminescences of that battle.
I love this game, and I sure hope nobody turned off the music playing it!

Really cool round this time around. T is one of the best.

Hmm, one of the channels on FOFT (sharp synth with the main melody) comes through really poorly on my headphones. I’ve had this issue before but not when I tested the track pre-nomination. Wonder if it’s a hardware or software issue. Meh. As I hear it now, the accompaniment tracks are totally overwhelming everything else. I hope not everyone has that experience.

I ran into this before with some of the other chiptune tracks. Though I already voted on it, I’ll check it out this evening via speakers (and a different audio card.)

Yes the recursive bip bip in the back is quite predominating the whole soundtrack in my opinion.

IMHO all of group T is strong. I had to purposefully vote each one as I heard it and not try to pick a favorite.

Yeah, it’s not meant to sound that way. Sorry =/ Don’t happen to have a spare Amiga lying around, do ya?

FWIW I’m now listening to it on my Android phone and the stereo mix is much better. It sounds like the accompaniment is panned hard left and the melody hard right. Maybe some sound chips can’t process it right.

Well anybody interested can get the file there and play it in their favorite tracker: ftp://ftp.modland.com/pub/modules/Ben%20Daglish/Ben%20Daglish/foft%20title.bd

FOFT is a game I completely forgot about, one from the Starglider/Epic/Mercenary era i guess… Batman video couldnt be played (geoblock perhaps im on a VPN) but i found it anyway, and was worth a higher score.

Few notes on mine. The Jets n Guns soundtrack comes with the game, and spent plenty of time on my mp3 players. The game itself was a bit tricky, i dont think i got beyond level 5 or 6 but its great if you like Machinae Supremacy’s sound but don’t like the lead singers vocals.

HW2 is really improved by knowing its the bit where you are dealing with ancient alien AI artifacts and spacecraft, it certainly conveys an excellent atmosphere in game.

Man, I’m really digging that FOFT track.

Great group.

That’s a good explanation. Thanks!

Like others, I found group T to be a strong set all around. Wearing my headphones jauntily askew seems to have handled FOFT’s audio issue adequately well, but maybe I’ll try listening to it on my phone later just in case.

Well, FOFT tanked. I’m going to salve my ego by assuming that most of the people voting heard it with the ‘wrong’ mix due to technical problems.

If it’s any consolation, I really liked it!

Didn’t need to know any of that to find it really good.

It was scoring so high, still, twelve hours ago! This means the blipblop haters share the same time zone. We must persist: we will locate them.

blipblop haters gonna hate blipblop

Group U

@Nightgaunt: Shadow Watch - Baikonur Action (Composed by Bill Brown)

0 voters

@Thraeg: Wonderful 101 - Jergingha: Planet Destruction Form ()

0 voters

@Vesper: Marble Madness - Level 2 ()

0 voters

@Papageno: Nex Machina - Dark Shivers ()

0 voters

Group T Results:

• Jets 'n Guns - 4.06
  • Homeworld 2 - 3.82
  • Arkham City - 3.82
  • FOFT - 3.47