Game Music 2: Beyond Thunderdome

Word of warning, my nominee up there from Nex Machina goes on into the next track.* It does have a definitive ending before that, though.

*I guess it just does that automatically when the track is part of a playlist.

It was one of my favourite tracks in the tournament and I’m sad to see it go. I hadn’t heard it before, so thanks for submitting it!

Yeah, never had heard that FOFT track either, and I loved it. I gave it a 5

Awww you guys

Pleased to see Machinae Supremacy earn over 4.

If you like JnG tune then this is my set of faves from the band, a bunch of c64 covers.

Sidology I, II and III

On group S.

Marble madness is a lovely Tron-esque soundtrack, as quirky as the game itself was at the time. And this reminds me, I must try and get the original Tron OST at some time, it was hard to find when I last tried.

Nex Machina got a 5 as its my fave track on that ost/album, which remains a firm fave on my playlists

I knew Marble Madness wouldn’t win when I nominated it, but I do love the soundtrack. Brings back so many memories of playing it in giant arcades.

O, villainy! When I left it at Entirely Too Late O’clock, Marble Madness was sitting at a comfortable 3.8. And now? Ruin!

I think it’s my favorite from this round, but I enjoyed all of group U.

Marble Madness pushes some strong nostalgia buttons for me, although I sucked at the game itself. Why I don’t have nightmares about that stupid marble falling into the void over and over again is one for the psychologists.

I’ve not played it but I like that little loop a lot. It’s got an unusual kind of strident sound to it.

Dark Shivers is definitely one of my favourite synthwave tracks so far in the 'dome. I enjoyed it more than the previous Nex Machina tune… Fire Caverns was it? Nominated by krok? Keen to hear the Furi tune again now.

I love The Wonderful 101 and the soundtrack really oils the action despite a good chunk of it not being especially memorable – it suits the moment-to-moment play. I don’t recall this piece but I still enjoyed it in isolation. It’s Tables Turn for me all the way.

Shadow Watch didn’t do much for me again but I’d not looked at the game before and it looks pretty cool, like a precursor to Invisible Inc. perhaps?

Group V

This is the end of the group stage.

@anonymgeist: Dear Esther - Twenty One (By Jessica Curry)

0 voters

@PlayingWithKnives: Rez - Fear The Mind Killer (by Adam Freeland )

0 voters

@Left_Empty: Mass Effect 2 - Samara (Composed by Jimmy Hinson)

0 voters

@enidigm: Phantasy Star 2 - Title Screen (by unk)

0 voters

I loved Atari’s golden era games, especially the engine/sound chip and art style of their quirky, non violent games like 720, Toobin, Paperboy and Marble Madness

That backwards effect in Phantasy Star 2 is pretty cool.

Wow, strong group all around. Loved the Middle-Eastern influences in the ME 2 track and the ostinato in the Dear Esther track. I wasn’t feeling the Rez track at first but it grew on me and so did the Phantasy Star one. 5s for all from me.

I used to play the last level of Rez over and over just to listen to that song because it was the early 2000s and not everything was available on the internet yet.

just for infô if memory serves right, the fantastic Phantasy Star2 soundtrack is not from unknown, but from Toshihiko Uwabo, going by the nickname ‘Bo’ usually.
His composition works isnt the largest, but his contributions to the programmation of Megadrive games are countless. But boy, is PS2 his masterpiece.

The original Japanese tracks featured a super noisy and annoying drum beats, that was thankfully ‘fixed’ in the Western release.

Yes, you can definitely think of that way, or as a condensed version of X-Com.

I think I must be enamored of the soundtrack because I love the game so much. Well, okay, I also love the bombastic soundtrack to the movie The Rock, too, so I also have a soft spot for over-important action movie tunes.

That Dear Esther track just got me to actually play the game finally!

Like I said last time, provoking @geggis’ outrage, I’m just too used to listening to REZ with the fake interaction of the beats and melody you produce in the game. On its own, the track just feels empty or even mundane to me, its most unique feature — the weird and very distinctive echoes of the player’s inputs with his avatar maxed — being lost.

That Dear Esther piece is just so beautiful. I didn’t care much for the game but its atmosphere owes a lot to Jessica Curry’s soundtrack which still haunts me and conjures up images of that forlorn Hebridean island.

The thing that I prefer about Fear over Adam Freeland’s ‘Mind Killer’ is the steady build and break into Marlena Shaw’s awesome California Soul strings followed by that crunchy erratic electro fuzz. Killer indeed. It’s my favourite piece from Rez although I’m most familiar with the 10 minute game rip! I was never that wild about Rez though beyond its synaesthetics and a recent go with Rez Infinite with PlayStation VR didn’t convince me otherwise.

Samara’s definitely one of the better Mass Effect tracks I’ve heard since Vigil – I feel like we’ve had loads now. I like its driven electronic and percussive eastern sound.

Wow, I didn’t expect to enjoy the synthetic sound of Phantasy Star 2 so much. What a cute little tune.