Game Music 3: A Sound of Thunderdome

Gotta get In The Blood on to the elimination round so it can be paired against Good Riddance and tear my heart apart trying to choose.

It is a shame, Chrono Trigger has a fantastic score and main theme, I just don’t know audio wise that is the best representation of that.

Yeah, low volume and all the sound effects from the attract mode mixed in isn’t ideal. For anyone curious, here’s another version

Thanks for that; it definitely helped!

For what it’s worth, I like the version with the audio glitches; it’s what I first encountered, way back when, and is part of the music. It adds a kind of percussive texture in voices that are not out of place amongst the other instruments. You also get the longer intro.

That said, the volume on the YT version is way too quiet, especially alongside the other tracks.

I consider it among the best video game soundtrack compositions ever; it has such a memorable theme with a fantastic build, leading in to a melody line that repeats against expectation. Like, you a get a phrase that’s good, whereas an average composer would have probably modified it slightly in the following bars here the thing is conspicuously repeated. But it’s not laziness; the bridge shows that it was done purposefully with its payoff, holding a different relationship to the main section than if it had been permutated. In the following section the main voices capitulate, showing that it is indeed a masterwork.

I love that Dusk track.

Yeah, this is a really strong round and the Dusk track has been growing on me with each listen.

Group L’s results are in!

1. Times of Lore - Title Music: 3.64
2. Murder By Numbers - SCOUT’s on the Case: 3.58
3. Doom Eternal - Prayer of the Diminished: 3.42
4. Silent Hill 3 - You’re Not Here: 3.33

Booo! SCOUT’s out!

Group N features @Thraeg, @ArmandoPenblade, @Starflightdream and @CraigM

Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Across the Seven Realms

0 voters

Tales of Legendia - The Meeting Place is the Fountain Plaza

0 voters

Massive Chalice - The People’s View

0 voters

Metroid Prime - Talon Overworld

0 voters

And @ArmandoPenblade, I misread your nomination and now I’m disappointed that it’s not The Meeting Place is the Fountain Pizza.

I’m pleasantly surprised Times of Lore squeaked it out. I love it, of course, but it’s often hard going for chiptunes.

I’m saving that for thunderdome 4, bud!

Ohh, the Massive Chalice piece is gorgeous. It reminds me of Jessica Curry’s work. Some beautiful stirring movements in those strings.

I really enjoyed the light, cheeriness of the Tales of Legendia tune. Sounds like music for a bustling regal town. The Bard’s Tale song was pleasant but Iain Ghlinn Cuaich is a tough act to follow!

Much like Outer Wilds, the Metroid Prime soundtrack is also hardwired to my cherished experience of the game so it’s hard to tell how much others would enjoy it standalone! I love how this starts off quite ambient and uneasy as you first set foot on to an alien, rainy, verdant Tallon Overworld and into a freakin’ first-person Metroid, then the triumphant Brinstar theme slowly emerges in those washy choral sounds. I wasn’t to know how good the game was really going to be, but… what a start.

Oof, think this is gonna be the first Thunderdome I don’t even make it out of Groups in! Not even Darren Korb and Ashley Barrett are gonna be able to save me, looks like. Alas :)

I may be in the same boat, depends on how my last track does which should be in today’s final group.

Remember, there will be wildcards!

And the winner of this close-fought round is…

1. Legend of Zelda - Main Theme - 4.0
2. Hades - In the Blood - 3.85
3. Dusk - Bleeding Out - 3.71
4. Chrono Trigger - Main Theme - 2.93

The final Group, O, closes the group rounds for the Thunderdome! Taking us out with quite possibly a bang, is @Nightgaunt, @forgeforsaken, @fdsaion and @geggis.

Spiritfarer - Spiritfarer

Rating

0 voters

Huntdown - Heatseakers Level 2

Rating

0 voters

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire - Deadfire

Rating

0 voters

Tales from Off-Peak City Vol. 1 - To All the Gamblers

Rating

0 voters

Either I really like all of these or I’m an old softie.

Spiritfarer was my 2020 Game of the Year hands down and I can’t believe I didn’t think to nominate any music from it, so I’m glad @Nightgaunt did. Never in my life have I had such an emotional response to a game as this one, and the music was a large part of it. I probably spent at least 20 percent of my play time blubbering like an idiot, and just hearing the track made me well up again. I would give this a 6 if I could. ;)

The Spiritfarer theme is lovely–as if the game didn’t remind me of Spirited Away enough already! The dreamy shimmering intro is lush.

I really need to get back to Huntdown. I played it on and off with a friend over Parsec, which wasn’t ideal, but we had a blast. However, my friend had a newborn so his time online reduced even further. I think between the action and us talking while playing, I missed just how cool the soundtrack is. Is this the first synthwave-y track in the 'dome? We’ve had quite a few go far in the past so that’s surprising. Anyway, I love how much drive this has and how it shifts from that kind of, I dunno, Satriani-esque(?) guitar to the pulsing synths. It gets better with each listen too. Credit to the YouTuber for appreciating and lingering on the incredible pixel art. What a great backdrop, of which there are many in Huntdown.

I think of all the ‘traditional fantasy’ pieces, the Pillars 2 theme does the least for me! Listened to it a few times and even went back to the Pathfinder and Divinity 2 pieces to refresh my mind.

To All The Gamblers is the last track on the OST but it’s just a periphery piece of music you hear at the end of a canal (just to the right of the face on the thumbnail), and you’re never required to walk down that far, let alone stand there and listen to the whole thing.