Game Music 3: A Sound of Thunderdome

Apart from In The Blood, every wildcard has won so far. The winner of GM2 was Outcast (3.59) beating out the likes of Nex Machina (4.56) and Sword & Sworcery (4.18) so I wasn’t expecting Tales from Off-Peak City to go through on the strength of its score alone.

The phenomenon is interesting though. I suspect it’s folk warming to tracks more on repeat listens. Some music can put up a fight and take a bit more effort to appreciate. This is why I try to give each track several spins just in case there’s some magic there that’s not apparent on a first or second listen. Some tracks never click though! The wildcard system allows that to happen more.

This is what I choose to believe @Hansey ;-)

Also, shoutout to @Jack_Howitzer. I see you still, voting like a champ!

Right folks, it’s time for the next two pairs!

Group 11

Featuring nominations from @Thraeg and… uh, Thraeg. I bet Thraeg wins this one. And loses.

Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Iain Ghlinn Cuaich

One Step From Eden - Neverending Song (Violette’s Theme)

• Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Iain Ghlinn Cuaich
  • One Step From Eden - Neverending Song (Violette’s Theme)

0 voters

Group 12

@Hansey and @SadleyBradley are up!

Shatter - Kinetic Harvest

Paradise Killer - GO!GO!STYLE

• Shatter - Kinetic Harvest
  • Paradise Killer - GO!GO!STYLE

0 voters

GAH! Talk about two champion-level tunes that are great for totally different reasons!

Haha, perfection!

I totally agree. To be fair, both groups are troubling me right now…

FUCK “GO!GO!STYLE” vs. “Kinetic Harvest” is going to break my heart. BRB creating an alt to vote for both.

Heh. I somehow missed the Thunderdomes of yore, but it’s a lot of fun. Have discovered some great new music, so big thanks to all who have organized and run this thing, hopefully there are many more in the future.

Beautiful themes or not, blood will be spilled with these next two groups. Let slip the dogs of war!

Group 13:
@Nightgaunt and @Hansey face off!

Spiritfarer - Spiritfarer

Machinarium - The Bottom

• Spiritfarer - Spiritfarer
  • Machinarium - The Bottom

0 voters

Group 14:
@geggis and @starflightdream throw their fighters into the ring

Samarost 3 - Main Theme

Massive Chalice - The People’s View

• Samarost 3 - Main Theme
  • Massive Chalice - The People’s View

0 voters

I think it’s safe to say that at this stage in the 'dome I take no pleasure in voting against these tracks!

Edit: and as much as I love the Samorost 3 main theme, The People’s View is just sublime.

It is for sure getting to be real tough voting! I guess that means the system is working as intended, hehe.

In prequel voice: this is where the fun begins.

Was just looking at the numbers and meant to say: @Thraeg I’m curious to know which one of your nominations you prefer from Group 11! :-)

I can’t pick a favorite. Was going to abstain, but since it’s about to close I put one in for Iainn Ghlinn Cuaich to get the numbers closer to one another.

Group 11 and 12 are over with One Step From Eden staying one step ahead of Bard’s Tale, and Kinetic Harvest shattering GO!GO!STYLE’s shot at paradise.

The next pair are the final two in this round, then it’s on to the quarter-finals…

Group 15

Featuring nominations from @anonymgeist and @Soren_Hoglund:

Disco Elysium - Whirling in Rags (8am)

Metal Gear Solid 3 - Snake Eater

• Disco Elysium - Whirling in Rags (8am)
  • Metal Gear Solid 3 - Snake Eater

0 voters

Group 16

@krayzkrok and me rip and roll:

Doom Eternal - The Only Thing They Fear Is You

Katamari Damacy - Lonely Rolling Star

• Doom Eternal - The Only Thing They Fear Is You
  • Katamari Damacy - Lonely Rolling Star

0 voters

I know it’s incredibly derivative and has lines about eating frogs, but I am charmed every time by Snake Eater. Group 15 has become incredibly tough and I didn’t expect it to be.

It was definitely really hard choosing between Whirling in Rags and Snake Eater for me, because they’re both excellent, but after giving them both further listens, I had to give it to Snake Eater. (Though early voting results so far seem to indicate that it’s an uphill battle.)

Also, it’s not a song about XBox motion controls. @geggis . ;)

Oh my god, haha. I’ve never owned an Xbox, a Kinect or even used one so I’ve no idea how that got in there! Worse: I’ve been copy and pasting so… it could be in other places. Uh oh!

Edit: oh hang on, no I definitely typed that! :-)

The results are in for Group’s 13 and 14, and the winner is Tomas Dvorak! His themes for both Machinarium and Samarost 3 triumph over stiff competition from Spiritfarer and Massive Chalice respectively.

Here we go! Round 3, the quarter finals, are here already! :o The gloves are well and truly off now, and blood will be spilled. As always, check progress here.

Group 17:
@Soren_Hoglund and @anonymgeist

Dusk - Bleeding Out

Disco Elysium - La Revacholiere

• Dusk - Bleeding Out
  • Disco Elysium - La Revacholiere

0 voters

Group 18:
@Thraeg and @Hansey

One Step From Eden - Neverending Song (Violette’s Theme)

Shatter - Kinetic Harvest

• One Step From Eden - Neverending Song (Violette’s Theme)
  • Shatter - Kinetic Harvest

0 voters

Yay!

The results for Group 15 and 16 are in and Whirling In Rags and The Only Thing They Fear Is You go through! Where Doom (2016) fell in the first Game Music Thunderdome, Doom Eternal prevails!

A fresh hell awaits. Behold:

Group 19

Back in the 'dome are nominations from @Hansey and me:

Machinarium - The Bottom

Samorost 3 - Main Theme

• Machinarium - The Bottom
  • Samorost 3 - Main Theme

0 voters

Group 20

…and @anonymgeist and @krayzkrok:

Disco Elysium - Whirling in Rags (8am)

Doom Eternal - The Only Thing They Fear Is You

• Disco Elysium - Whirling in Rags (8am)
  • Doom Eternal - The Only Thing They Fear Is You

0 voters