Game Music 3: A Sound of Thunderdome

Oh shit, I’d not thought about that! Hahaha, perfect!

Group F results are in!

1. Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Iain Ghlinn Cuaich: 4.13
2. Paradise Killer - GO! GO! STYLE: 3.67
3. Astro’s Playroom - I’m Your GPU (GPU Jungle): 3.43
4. Dynasty Warriors 8 - Thousand Suns: 3.2

I’m contractually obligated to rate any Mick Gordon track a 5, even if it’s to the detriment of my own pick.

Samarost 3 vs Doom Eternal might be the hardest choice I’ve had so far.

Well it’s not a choice at this phase really, rate them the same

This was another really strong group!

The thing with the Samorost 3 theme is that it plays on the starting screen so it’s not something most folk hear fully because… well, you click and you start playing and the adventure begins. So unlike the rest of the soundtrack which gets a proper hearing as you play, the main theme is this big surprise when you listen to the soundtrack directly. Like… okay, where the hell did this come from? From that big, almost wooden sounding orbiting percussion and thrum that opens the track to the unexpected synthetic brass section that draws the piece to a close. It’s such a huge but intricate sound for Floex and, despite how much I’ve heard it, still a thrilling listen.

2AM is pure Animal Crossing vibes for me and I just love that tone and feel. It’s cosy and bittersweet.

Bloody hell, Project Wingman doesn’t mess about does it? Easily one of the most epic orchestral pieces in the 'dome so far. I can imagine this been pretty damn exhilarating in-game.

Hoho, Doom Eternal. That electronic section at 02:00 sounds like a floppy drive trying to impress a chainsaw and I love it. The Only Thing They Fear feels a few minutes too long for me but that percussive rip and tear chant section is a sweet payoff. I hate that some of my favourite bits on the Doom Eternal soundtrack last about 1 minute. Take 4:26 of this (echoes of Vega Core), and specifically the bit that comes in at 4:55, about 30 seconds before it fades out. I want to ride to that bass. I really should get back to Doom Eternal for nightmare and the DLC.

Group G comes to a close and the results are as follows:

1. Disco Elysium - Whirling in Rags (8am): 4.13
2. Katamari Damacy - Lonely Rolling Star: 3.88
3. Pathfinder Kingmaker - Main Theme: 3.44
4. Donkey Kong Country - Gangplank Galleon: 3.31

But as one group closes, another opens…

Group I features nominations from me, @Soren_Hoglund, @anonymgeist and @forgeforsaken.

Cryptark - 1u-7R Kaffaljidhmah 3U-1qa

0 voters

Warhammer 40000: Mechanicus - Millennial Rage

0 voters

Disco Elysium - La Revacholiere

0 voters

Ghost of Tsushima - Jin Sakai

0 voters

I do not believe I nominated one of these, but I can’t wait to hear them all!

Is something messed up as I posted the Tsushima song

Oops, clerical error! Correcting!

Edit: Me being at the beginning of the last two groups made me look at the wrong one (ie. the previous one)! All sorted now, I think.

Should have just said April Fools

Let me know if anyone has issues using that Bandcamp player. I don’t think we’ve had one so far.

It worked just fine for me. (On PC, using the Vivaldi browser, if that helps.)

WAAAAAAAH, goodbye Katamari!

Haha, yes. I’m holding on to it being the highest scoring loss so it might make it as a wild card!

I have corrected my Doom Eternal score and… now it’s drawing with Samorost! :-O

Gnome vs. Doomguy, LET’S GOOOOO.

Has Doom guy met his match… in a gnome?

Yes, it had to happen eventually. We have… a tie!

1= Samarost 3 - Main Theme - 4.07
1= Doom Eternal - The Only Thing They Fear Is a Gnome - 4.07
3. Project Wingman - Kings - 3.33
4. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 2.00 AM - 3.27

Well, I will have to consult the Tome of Thunderdome or something to figure out how to resolve this one!

(my preferred option would be for them both to go through, and then just bring in the highest scoring runner up to even the numbers).

While we figure out the epic Doom / Samarost confrontation, here’s Group J to distract you and end the week! Who will win? Only @Soren_Hoglund, @SadleyBradley, @ArmandoPenblade, @Thraeg… and you… can decide!

Snake Eater - Metal Gear Solid 3

Rating

0 voters

Steamworld Dig 2 - El Machino

Rating

0 voters

Total Annihilation - Brutal Battle

Rating

0 voters

One Step From Eden - Neverending Song (Violette’s Theme)

Rating

0 voters

Look I’m not saying I like "Neverending Song (Violette’s Theme) more than my amazing Jeremy Soule track, but I also won’t be completely crushed if/when it wins the round :)

I can’t decide if Snake Eater is really as awesome a song as I think it is, or if it’s just because my husband and I have played through all the Metal Gear games so it has the personal context for me. I mean, it’s a great song, it’s clearly going for that James Bond film intro style, but I’m not sure you can really appreciate the “someday you’ll feed on a tree frog” line to its fullest extent unless you’ve played MGS3.

(Regardless, it got high marks from me, hehe.)