Game Music 3: A Sound of Thunderdome

I mean, I didn’t listen to the lyrics at all (I never really pay attention to lyrics), but I adore cheesy James Bond opening tracks and similarly loved the Snake Eater copycat, even though I’ve never Geared a Metal before. I think it holds up!

Okay, I didn’t imagine that. Thank you.

That song appealed to me way more than I expected. I don’t have any connection to MGS, and I don’t really like Bond movies and all their accoutrements, but the song clearly knows what it wants to be, it has a great vocal performance and awesome bombastic horns.

Haha, no, you didn’t. I laugh out loud every time I hear that line in the song.

The “cheesy Bond song” works really well for the earlier Metal Gear games because there’s an awful lot of cheesy writing in those games. Which is a great deal of their appeal, imo. MGS5 had a much more serious tone, and maybe that’s part of why they recast Snake with Kiefer Sutherland instead of David Hayter… Hayter will always be “cheesy Snake”, hehe.

Can confirm, as someone whose only significant Metal Gear experience is Revengeance.

Group I’s results are in!

1. Disco Elysium - La Revacholiere: 4
2. Ghost of Tsushima - Jin Sakai: 3.6
3. Cryptark - 1u-7R Kaffaljidhmah 3U-1qa: 3.47
4. Warhammer 40000: Mechanicus - Millennial Rage: 3.4

Bit late with some thoughts on the music!

I really like that Mechanicus track, it reminds me of Zimmer, Glass and nervous_testpilot (Frozen Synapse, Cortex). Given its a turn-based tactics game, that sounds like a pretty cool and appropriate mix! I’ve wishlisted the game too, looks like my bag.

The Disco Elysium track is lovely but I don’t think it quite stands as high as the wonderful Whirling in Rags. It does further encourage me to play the game and hear the full soundtrack in-situ however!

Yeah, I’m the same and agree. It totally nails the Bond aesthetic, and the arrangement/production is there, but… it’s on the cheesy side for me, haha.

Seriously, @ArmandoPenblade how does TA have such an outrageously bombastic orchestral score? My girlfriend was like ‘This has to be a cinematic fantasy action game’ and I’m like ‘it’s a crusty 90s sci-fi war game’. I never got into TA (as an Age of Mythology guy, Kingdoms always looked more interesting to me, but I heard it was pants) but the OST sounds like a treat. I seem to recall it being featured in previous thunderdomes.

The SteamWorld Dig 2 tune is a really nice chill latin groove. That bassline too.

And finally, yeah, Violette’s Theme is easily my favourite in this group @Thraeg. It’s so energetic and the string sting is so damn catchy. I’m familiar with the game name, but not what the game actually is. Either way, a very cool tune that I’ve restarted several times after it ended. So good.

The entirety of the OST pretty much lodges itself in the center of an over excited symphony orchestra and refuses to let them leave until they’ve committed 30 solid minutes of pulse pounding nonsense to the tapes. There’s a moment where you think it might have calmed down and gone to a new speed, but you quickly realize that it’s just that the rest of the instruments have momentarily quieted to let the hunting bugle ring clearly through, that it might let slip the dogs of war.

Well it seems we were unable to decide!

Group J results…

1 = Snake Eater - Metal Gear Solid 3 - 3.85
1 = One Step From Eden - Neverending Song (Violette’s Theme) - 3.85
3. Total Annihilation - Brutal Battle - 3.36
4. Steamworld Dig 2 - El Machino - 3.08

Another tie, and so soon after the last one! But they’ll both go forwards. Let the Thunderdome decide their fate.

The next group is on Monday.

There’s no shortage of reasons to play Disco Elysium, but the music is pretty high on that list. As good as it is on its own (and it is very, very good!) it works so much better in the context of the game.

Sorry for the delay! This will be the final week of the group round.

Group K features nominations from @Otagan, @anonymgeist, @Thraeg and @Nightgaunt:

Project Wingman - Presidia

0 voters

Outer Wilds - End Times

0 voters

Streets of Rage 4 - Funky HQ

0 voters

Ape Out - Adrift

0 voters

This was one of the trickier rounds to rate!

Outer Wilds’ soundtrack is really special and I have a strong emotional connection with it because of the game, perhaps none more than End Times! That piece sneaking into the audio mix is anxiety-inducing in-game, and outside of it, it’s still a melancholic and foreboding piece, but not necessarily one I’d listen to on its own like some of the other tracks. It reminds me of the soundscape at the end of Kid A as part of Motion Picture Soundtrack (‘I will see you in the next life’). The likeness is fitting.

With Ape Out, it’s a very interesting listen but is that because I know it’s sequenced by the player/ape’s actions in the game? It’s technically a live performance, which is awesome! Either way it’s such an incredibly cool and kinetic sound design and perfect alongside the Saul Bass inspired visuals.

Funky HQ lives up to its name! That was a fun listen. I liked Presidia but even after a few listens I felt it washing over me. Those bassline fills kept catching my ear though and the duduk sneaking in there was a tease.

Group L prepares to qualify, courtesy of @Soren_Hoglund, @Gordon_Cameron, myself and @Nightgaunt.

You’re Not Here - Silent Hill 3

Rating

0 voters

Times of Lore - Title Music

Rating

0 voters

Doom Eternal - Prayer of the Diminished

Rating

0 voters

Murder By Numbers - SCOUT’s on the Case

Rating

0 voters

There a timestamp on Times of Lore?

Ah yes thanks, I missed it in the original post. Fixed now (I hope). (should be 0 to 7m 42s)

Hooo, SCOUT’s on the Case is giving me big-time nostalgic feel-good sunshine vibes like some of Sega/Sonic’s tunes. Can’t. Stop. Listening. Easy 5.

I think we can all remember that ‘whoa’ moment when the Doom Eternal voice choir first kicks in.

The Times of Lore piece seems like it’s going for an acoustic then later electric guitar sound, but the synthetic chip sound makes it a lot more interesting to my ears! I wasn’t so wild about this though overall.

While the vocals didn’t do much for me, I did like the grungy 90s rock sound of the Silent Hill 3 song. The Silent Hill series is a big blind spot for me.

That Doom Eternal track is freaking me out.

Spotify should have Akira Yamaoka’s soundtracks for Silent Hill 2-4, and they all fucking shred.

Group K’s results are in!

1. Streets of Rage 4 - Funky HQ: 3.77
2. Project Wingman - Presidia: 3.38
3. Outer Wilds - End Times: 3.31
4. Ape Out - Adrift: 3.15

Group M stars @CraigM (naturally), @Soren_Hoglund, @Starflightdream and @ArmandoPenblade:

Legend of Zelda - Main Theme

0 voters

Bleeding Out - Dusk

0 voters

Chrono Trigger - Main Theme

0 voters

Hades - In the Blood

0 voters

Jesus, talk about stacked. Classic Nintendo theme, golden era Square, and Ashley Barret and Supergiant. Even the Dusk is surprisingly solid. I think I’d take any one of these songs over 80% of the entries so far.

The volume is very, very low on the Chrono Trigger track, but generally, yeah, this is a hell of a round. I worry for my beloved “In the Blood”