Game Music 4: Thunderdome Eternal

Definitely. Some of us have been doing this since Thraeg started it a few years back and a big part of the fun/horror (ha!) for me is seeing what does well and what tanks, and trying to pull together a bunch of nominations that I love but think will also have the legs (and whether context is necessary to enjoy the piece or not, which isn’t so easy to work out!). It can be very surprising!

Haha, yeah I totally get you. When you’re at this stage seemingly tiny things can swing it!

Okay, so The Raven - Main Theme has secured bronze, and looking at the voters it appears all of the recent regulars are in so we need someone to end the 'dome eternal. I wasn’t expecting 12 voters, let alone a tie! This might be a first.

@Left_Empty and @ArmandoPenblade (who both kindly allowed me to ping them in the event of any ties), if either of you are up to it, the first to call Dark Souls 2 - Majula or Return of the Obra Dinn - Main Theme, determines the victor of this tournament. No pressure or anything :-) Give them a good listen and choose carefully…

I honestly can’t pick, as I don’t enjoy any of them at all: I’m a big “arrangements over melody” proponent, so I don’t feel my vote would make sense in this instance.

Negative, early morning cafeine-less ramblings. Don't read if you enjoy those games' soundtrack.

I played both games.

I always found the soundtrack of the Dark Souls to be one of the weakest point of the games: it’s predictable, bombastic exactly where you’d expect it to be. Sometimes it does something a bit funny. Funny but bombastic still. Sakuraba is one of the composers I like the less, I’d be hard pressed to mention a soundtrack of his which I enjoyed.

Obra Dinn’s soundtrack overall was a… puzzle. In some instances it made sense, but mostly it felt like a timing clue. The midi arrangements of it didn’t help.

The Dark Souls 2 selected track I “remember” as being just sort of a moody piece, which is quite unusual in that game. But the piano-only approach is not for me at all, and the visuals of the area (those vast cliffs and that seascape!) were so much more important to me. So I wouldn’t be voting for the track, but for the visuals, which feels wrong in the Thunderdome.

The Obra Dinn track I didn’t even remember being in the game, and was just hoping for it to end.

I’m not casting my vote on Dark Souls 2 as I’d be only voting against Obra Dinn. And I never vote against.
I’m not casting my vote on Obra Dinn as I’d be voting for a game over the other. And that’d not be fair.

Good luck guys ;D

Haha, thanks and that sounds fair! :-)

@SadleyBradley can you do the honours and decide between Majula and Return of the Obra Dinn?

I’ll give it another day or so and, if it’s still tied, then I’ll determine the victor by their scores from the group rounds.

Yes!

I had opted out of Thunderdome voting this time around because a couple of life events prevented me from giving the full dome my full attention. Those life reasons, since they aren’t germane to the Thunderdome itself, are spoilered below in case anyone really needs to know.

Two life events

I’ve appreciated the discussion that took place over the last day or so because it illustrates something I really love about Thunderdome. How does Majula, sparse as it is, even make it this far? Why did this other track not make it out of the group round? Why didn’t everyone like that track?

Art in general resonates differently with different people. It’s why two people can look at a painting or read a book and appreciate different things. But more than that, our appreciation also differs based on our unique lived perspectives. One person can appreciate the craft in a movie because they have lived a life that resulted in them being a person who appreciates craft. Another person can watch the same movie and appreciate it because one of the characters reminds them of a beloved family member. Sometimes, my enjoyment of a given track depends entirely on my state of mind on a single day. Different perspectives, different appreciation, equally valid.

In the Thunderdome, I think this sometimes gets overlooked in favor of the competitive aspect. After all, we are lining up our best, most-meaningful songs, hand-picked to beat the others. When they end up resonating differently with someone else (or everyone else, sometimes), it can be confusing.
Painful even. This is Thunderdome. It giveth and taketh. But rather than take that as a hard truth, I take it as a thing of beauty. Only in the Thunderdome can Majula and Obra Dinn beat out so many others to arrive here.

That said, for me, it’s Majula.

Majula is safe, a hub, and a place of rest in Dark Souls 2. You’ll see it a hundred time or more in a playthrough. As someone who played the game, those things obviously weigh in its favor. But for me specifically, it reflects a place in time as well. That tiny period between your schooling (whichever level that is) and true adulthood. When you have the free time of a student on break, without any of the same responsibilities, but before you have things like a “career” or a “family” or “tax burdens”. A lot of games were consumed during that time for me, Dark Souls 2 among them. So while the music does immediately conjure images of the safe area, with all of those associated feelings, it also conjures the feeling of sitting on my bed, controller in hand, with a couple of days off ahead of me. It conjures the feeling of going into a tough game blind, learning it at the same time as the rest of the world.

Does this make the Obra Dinn theme worse, or lesser in any way? Of course not. It’s a fantastic song, from a fantastic game. When someone asks for a detective game, that’s the first one that gets recommended. But listening to it doesn’t evoke the same stuff within me. And this is the Thunderdome, where sometimes a round needs to be decided by someone whose stuff is the deciding factor.

Or, what I meant to say is THUNDERDOME!

\…/ -_- \…/

Well, I couldn’t have hoped for a more generous and thoughtful post to round out this Game Music Thunderdome! Thanks @SadleyBradley, and congratulations on the twins! They look so cute!

So there you have it folks:

1. Dark Souls 2 - Majula
2. Return of the Obra Dinn - Main Theme
3. The Raven - Main Theme

Congrats @Soren_Hoglund, and congrats @Jack_Howitzer for snagging second and third place, just like @Hansey did last time! The Challonge bracket and results can be viewed here. Full spreadsheet can be viewed here.

Looking over the nominations, these were some of my highlights that didn’t score quite so highly:

• Quake - Hall Of Souls: This could very well be my favourite nomination in this Thunderdome. I’m playing Quake again after its recent 25 year anniversary and the soundtrack is sooo good.
  • Guilty Gear Xrd - Revelator - Freesia: Totally unexpectedly love this song. My girlfriend asked what kind of game it was from ‘A fighting game? Wat?’ What a great surprise.

I think among the higher scorers, Gitaroo Man - The Legendary Theme was one of my faves.

Anyway! Thanks everyone for taking part as always. I’m thinking the next Thunderdome will be all about the retro music to mix things up a bit. In the meantime though, it’s time for a break!

Edit: oh, and yes, ahem:

THUNDERDOME!
\…/ -_- \…/

Congrats to @Soren_Hoglund and @Jack_Howitzer ! There were some really tough choices to make near the end there. And thanks again to @geggis and @krayzkrok for organizing and maintaining the Thunderdome!

WELL, SadleyBradley sure made the tie worthwhile!

I almost came in here today to say that if we’re still tied, I will switch my vote to Obra Dinn, considering that I’ve been humming it constantly for the last three days. But I’m much happier with this resolution.

Thanks for organizing, @geggis and @krayzkrok! Looking forward to the next one! \…/ -_- \…/

This did cross my mind too, but only three days? :-) Easily the biggest ear worm in the Thunderdome for me! If it wasn’t the main theme, it was the bells section…

Great finish! Thanks again to @geggis for running it and @krayzkrok for advising!

Thanks for setting up and running this @geggis and @krayzkrok, that was a lot of fun, plus I have some more new music to add to my collection :D

Looking forward to the next one

Not the bump you wanted or expected, yet!

Last night, while trying to sleep, my brain decided to summon this piece of music up. Thanks brain.

My girlfriend and I started watching the Cuphead show recently and it reminded me to post about these pieces of music. First up, Funfair Fever, from the game:

I love this piece but I had no idea it was (heavily) inspired by Tom Brier’s wonderful ‘Redneck Rag’:

Tom Brier’s story is incredibly tragic so I’ll let you folks look into that yourselves, but he was a hugely talented pianist who’s done many renditions of famous ragtime Mario themes (among others), often sight-read without ever having heard them before.

Such a great piece and from the comments it appears the band went on to add that to their repertoire!

This is one of my all-time favourite Mario tunes too, and played so beautifully here: