Game Music 4: Thunderdome Eternal

It really is fantastic. There are so many songs to choose from, and everyone has their favorites. The AC subreddit regularly has threads that involve people claiming their favorite song and good natured arguing over which one is “best”. (Apart from K.K. Groove, I’m a fan of K.K. Ska, K.K. Cruisin, and K.K. House.)

There was a post once from a guy who cosplayed as K.K. Slider for some con, and he had a guitar and everything. He said that people would come up and ask him to play different songs, and he knew a lot of them, so he would. I would have loved to have seen that!

That sounds brilliant.

Yeah, Cruisin’ and Ska are great! And I’m not going to lie: KK Dirge makes me laugh because it’s so heavy and out of place in Animal Crossing. I should give some of KK’s other stuff a listen. Stale Cupcakes is so lovely. Never heard it before! I had no idea about the live vs. airchecks as well. Very cool.

In most cases I prefer the aircheck version (which is good, since that’s the version that plays on your music players) but some songs are definitely better live. I spent ages in NL and NH collecting all the KK songs. It’s easier in NH since you can request any song you want at the weekly concert and that’s the song he gives you a bootleg for, so as long as you know which you’re missing, it’s easy to get them all… just time consuming, hehe. There’s also a random one every day to buy from the Nook Shopping terminal in game.

Edit: Yeah, Stale cupcakes is lovely. I have that one playing in one of the side rooms in my house that has a flower / garden theme, with low lighting. It fits very well.

I love the entire AI War soundtrack, but this one’s special. The swell around the 2 minute mark, in particular, makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Again, pick a track any track, but that main title is killer:

Love the music in this game, and it’s such a great intro. Every time I hear it I want to start playing again.

Nice! I haven’t played AI War in years so it’ll be interesting to see if I remember this one!

Don’t forget you can have a fourth track, which will keep the group stage numbers nice and tidy.

K, I’ll give it some more thought. :)

Honestly, every thunderdome I’m wishing for more slots because it’s so difficult to narrow it down to four! :-)

Fair - I was thinking recent/obscure stuff only but somehow no one’s done this yet?!

I mean, you walk out of the tavern for the first time as a party and get hit in the face with that. I remember just sitting there in shock for a minute the first time I played.

I did Kuldahar a couple of domes back.

I saw that (I searched the database by game). It’s just a hell of a soundtrack overall.

Okay! I think I’m settled on these…

Um Jammer Lammy - Got To Move!

I never got to play the game, but I heard this years ago and fell in love. The chorus, the interplay between the guitar and Michelle Burks’ effervescent vocals–it’s just so infectious and feel good.

R4: Ridge Racer Type 4 - Naked Glow

Fusing jazz, rock, funk, techno, D&B, breakbeat, jungle, house and more, and home to some of the best basslines in gaming, the Namco Sound Team created such a cool racing game soundtrack that still sounds so fresh. I didn’t want to go for the familiar Urban Fragments intro music, but narrowing my choice down to one track from the rest was really tough. In the end I went for Naked Glow; it’s grounded in funk with a silky smooth bassline, killer bass solo, and a blissful but slightly kitschy climax–perfect for the final lap.

The Norwood Suite - Blue Moose Man

If you’ve played The Norwood Suite there’s no forgetting the scene where this plays. A dreamy groove to lose yourself in and peak Cosmo D. Or should that be off-peak?

Rogue Trip: Vacation 2012 - ‘SO CAL’

It’s not very often you hear some brass heavy third-wave ska in videogames! The game kicks off with a live version of The Mighty Mighty Bosstones’ Rascal King, which is brilliant, but this is all original and I love it. SAX LET’S GOOOOO!

I think I’m just about tapped out on original game soundtracks I remember and like that haven’t already been posted in the three previous Domes, so I’m likely just an observer this time, and yet…

THUNDER DOME! THUNDER DOME!

Well you’re always more than welcome to vote, cheer and trash talk Armando! :-)

Why would anyone want to trash talk Armando? So mean. :(

Oh man, I love Um Jammer Lammy! That game was amazing - as was Parappa the Rapper, Lammy’s predecessor. Now you’ve gone and made me think of loads of other songs I might have nominated. ;)

My husband and I sing “crack crack crack the egg into the bowl” whenever I’m making something that involves eggs. ;)

Do you really want my blippity bloopity chiptunes to have that much more of a chance of winning? Man up, I say!

Oh no, this is why commas matter! :-(

I meant:

The main issue is that since I don’t actually play videogames, I don’t really know anymore music for everyone else to be indifferent to :-D

Haha, no worries, I knew what you meant… was just giving you a hard time. ;)

Well, other people have complained about having a hard time narrowing down to four choices, so the obvious solution is to hold an auction for your unused nomination slots!