Game Music 4: Thunderdome Eternal

Group E’s results are in, concluding the first week. It was close at the top!

1. Gitaroo Man - The Legendary Theme: 3.64
2. Zoids - Main theme: 3.62
3. The Last of Us - The Path (A New Beginning): 3.23
4. Yakuza 0 - Baka Mitai: 2.85

A new week, a new group!

Group F

Featuring nominations from @krayzkrok, @Starflightdream, @Jack_Howitzer and @Hansey:

Mechwarrior 2 - Iron Piston

0 voters

Hyper Light Drifter - Titan

0 voters

The Raven - The Raven Main Theme

0 voters

Final Fantasy X - The Sight of Spira
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTptg9nedlM

0 voters

I’m actively annoyed at being put in a position where I have to give a positive rating to something associated with Final Fantasy X.

My experience of the Final Fantasy games is limited to VI, VII, VIII and a bit of IX and after that I never really returned to JRPGs. I will say though that some of the music I’ve heard from X and others, here in the 'dome and elsewhere, have been fantastic. That’s one of the things I love about the Game Music Thunderdome: even if you don’t like the game, you can still love the music. Take ‘The Song of the Dragonborn’, love the piece, hate that game! :-D

Weirdly, this is one of my least favorite bits from my favorite Final Fantasy.

Wait, which one has Blitzball or whatever it’s called? Am I thinking of IX? It’s not a series I play, but it’s a series that a lot of friends have played around me.

X has the Blitzball! I was so bad at it. I made my friend Womeldorf play it for me to get the mega weapon you could unlock by winning the tournament.

To each their own. :) I remember seeing cinematics (so many cinematics) when I’d cross through the living room to get a bit and my roommate was playing. They were, out of context anyway, kinda painful.

I mean, definitely kinda painful, but the worldbuilding was super solid, the dumb love story sucked me in in the end, and the combat was sort of Peak FF for me: the highest level of revision of the original turn-based approach before things started getting Especially Weird in in 12 and onward. The Sphere Grid was love, the Sphere Grid was life.

Group G is upon us!

Featuring nominations from @Starflightdream, @SadleyBradley, @Gordon_Cameron and me:

Quake - Hall Of Souls
https://youtu.be/gkktyOA06NQ

0 voters

Disco Elysium - Precinct 41 Major Crime Unit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrDUYKGzQ8I

0 voters

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Dalentarth

0 voters

The Norwood Suite - Blue Moose Man

0 voters

@Gordon_Cameron There’s no mistaking Kirkhope’s sound.

…Or Cosmo D’s for that matter!

Yeah, I really like his use of flutes in that track. (Or maybe piccolos?)

“Cosmo D” means something different to me!

I’m Cozmo D from outer space
I’m here to rock the human race
Gonna do it right 'cause I can’t do it wrong
That’s why the whole world is singing this song
Jam on it…

Yeah, I’ve got several tracks from his Mario + Rabbids score on my list and I can hear similarities in the arrangements–which is no bad thing!

Haha, yeah I always have to check with those instruments too. He’s certainly got a knack with them though. I love the bassoon in this track (and the other wind instruments!)

I’m intrigued… The embedded video won’t work in my country so will go hunting on YouTube for his stuff.

…Sounds good so far.

Jam On It is a stone-cold classic!

Hip hop is a blind spot for me so duly noted!

I was kind of hoping this Disco Elysium track would go up with the one I selected, since they’re variations on the same material. Would’ve been interesting to see how they stacked up head-to-head!

Love the Trent Reznor Quake track. Creepy as hell.

I listen to it when I’m in the mood to go slowly insane for a brief vacation.

It’s amazing to think that we watched Pixar’s Soul last night and the same Trent Reznor (with Atticus Ross) composed the soundtrack for that. The Hall of Souls is fantastic though. Definitely one of my favourites so far (that I’ve not heard before), alongside The Legendary Theme.

Okay, we’ve got some results and a new round!

Group F

1. The Raven - The Raven Main Theme: 3.83
  2. Hyper Light Drifter - Titan: 3.58
  3. Mechwarrior 2 - Iron Piston: 3.25
  4. Final Fantasy X - The Sight of Spira: 3.25

Group H

Featuring nominations from @anonymgeist, @vinraith, @Gordon_Cameron and @Nightgaunt.

Gods Will Be Watching - The Face of Genocide

0 voters

Anno 1800 - Main Theme

0 voters

Outcast - Talanzaar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwwrnvyvly4

0 voters

Star Control II - Hyperspace Theme

0 voters