Game Music 4: Thunderdome Eternal

They were both tough choices for me.

Same. These four songs were all rated equally high. These were tough choices to make.

Yeah, the last few groups have been tough. I had to give Target and Dalentarth a few listens before settling on Grant Kirkhope’s particular sound. The same with Distance and The Raven. That drop at 30 seconds on Storming the Horizon is great. Ultimately the lush arrangement of The Raven’s main theme won me over in the end. I really like the subdued melancholy and distant hope of Marisa but the Legendary Theme just hits me right in the feels. It’s so triumphant.

The Norwood Suite - Blue Moose Man and Command & Conquer - Target go through

Group 7

Featuring nominations from @anonymgeist and @Gordon_Cameron.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura - Main Theme

Outcast - Talanzaar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwwrnvyvly4

• Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura - Main Theme
  • Outcast - Talanzaar

0 voters

Group 8

Featuring nominations from @Jack_Howitzer and @Nightgaunt

Return of the Obra Dinn - Main Theme

VVVVVV - Pushing Onwards

• Return of the Obra Dinn - Main Theme
  • VVVVVV - Pushing Onwards

0 voters

Whyyyyy do I have to choose between the Obra Dinn track and the VVVVVV track? WHY??

You know what? I absolutely love the Outcast soundtrack and have since the day I got the game. But there’s something about the… orientalism? of the Talanzaar theme that kinda bumps it down a notch for me now. Still a lot of cool stuff going on in that piece, but the Arcanum track is great too, so I voted for that.

In the sense that it’s no longer cool to use faux-Orientalism in Western music a la Lawrence of Arabia, or you just don’t like that sound?

I guess that faux-Orientalism doesn’t sound as good to me anymore, and that may be because it has that recent cultural baggage. But I think I also nominated Airborne Kingdom’s theme for the 'dome, so I might also be a hypocrite.

AI War: Fleet Command - Marisa and The Raven Main Theme go through!

And with that we’re into the quarter finals!

Group 9

Featuring nominations from @Starflightdream and @Soren_Hoglund.

Minecraft - Taswell

Dark Souls 2 - Majula
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8ShsHeYkeI

• Minecraft - Taswell
  • Dark Souls 2 - Majula

0 voters

Group 10

Featuring nominations from me and @krayzkrok.

The Norwood Suite - Blue Moose Man

Command & Conquer - Target

• The Norwood Suite - Blue Moose Man
  • Command & Conquer - Target

0 voters

Are the polls from yesterday not working for anyone else? I don’t see a way to vote, on either PC or mobile. Today’s work fine.

Edit: Just started working again. Not sure what changed.

I did accidentally tick the wrong day before I committed the post yesterday so went in and tweaked that afterwards. Obviously something was still off! I’ve manually opened them so they should be okay now. The update allows me to do that now instead of binning the poll and starting again, which is great.

I really like the paired back string sound of the Arcanum theme but it’s the movement in Talanzaar that elevates it for me.

That made me laugh out loud, sorry! I love the music in Airborne Kingdom :-) Coincidentally, I’ve been noodling with a really nice simple chord on my guitar for a while now and realised after starting Airborne Kingdom that the main theme uses it! (Don’t ask me the chord, this noodler has no idea.)

I’ve been holding it off but… it’s Dinn vs. V time.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, it’s the Soldiers of the Sea theme and those bells that I love in Obra Dinn but as nice as the violin stabs from the bells into the main theme are, the two key changes feel a mite clunky to my ears. Really clutching at straws here. Also, despite absolutely hammering the V soundtrack over the years, I still can’t help but groove to Pushing Onwards.

Return of the Obra Dinn goes through and Group 7 is tied. I think @Thraeg hasn’t voted on that one yet so I’ll let him call it. No rush! :-)

Oh, I’ll go with Arcanum then.

Cheers @Thraeg! So with that we’re on to Group 11 and 12. There’s still a day left on Group 9 and 10. Next week we’ll be onto the final stretch.

Group 11

Featuring nominations from @Jack_Howitzer and @vinraith (the newcomers have come far!)

The Raven - The Raven Main Theme

AI War: Fleet Command - Marisa

• The Raven - The Raven Main Theme
  • AI War: Fleet Command - Marisa

0 voters

Group 12

Featuring nominations from @anonymgeist and @Jack_Howitzer.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura - Main Theme

Return of the Obra Dinn - Main Theme

• Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura - Main Theme
  • Return of the Obra Dinn - Main Theme

0 voters

These choices are only getting harder! (I guess that means the system is working.)

This is the most fun bit!

‘Fun’!

I think Talanzaar is my favorite out of the new stuff I’ve been introduced to here, so I guess I’m Talanzaar 4 Lyfe. That said, Arcanum’s main theme is excellent, as is the Obra Dinn theme. That was a tough one.

Well, there’s a clear winner with Group 9 and that’s Dark Souls 2 - Majula. That was a tough one for me but I really like the space and tone of Majula.

Group 10 is tied and it looks like Late Music Voter Man @Gordon_Cameron is the only regular to not have voted on it yet so I’ll send the signal out. No rush, it’s the weekend.

Gordon-Late-Music-Voter-Man

That’s a tough one but I’ll go with Command & Conquer.