Game of the Half Year

I like this idea but someone (or Robert himself) should re-start this thread and include more options than just three PC games. What about GalCiv2 (I’ve yet to play but I’m increasing becoming tempted).

On the console side, GRAW should be considered. Or how about Final Fantasy XII?

I’d still vote for Oblivion overall. Just well done. I hope that the game doesn’t feel “tired” by the time people do start selecting GOTY titles.

Oblivion, with my apologies to Rise of Legends (sorry about your netcode) and Galciv 2 (I’d vote for you if you were on the list, honest).

Spellforce 2?

Monster Hunter Freedom

Smallest, but richest.

I vote for WoW. HAHA! Just kidding.

I’ve spent more time in Oblivion than any other non-MMO in, I dunno, 6-8 years or so. Totally game of the half-year (assuming something better doesn’t come out in the next 3 weeks).

Oh, and I was just curious about what Gamerankings has to say about it:

1. MGS3 - Subsistence - PS2
  2. Oblivion - 360
  3. Oblivion - PC
  4. GRAW - 360
  5. New Super Mario Bros - DS
  6. Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition - PS2
  7. HL2 Episode One - PC
  8. Burnout Revenge - 360
  9. Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS2
  10. Winning Eleven 9 - PS2

Well, Avernum 4 is better than Oblivion, but I suppose that since the Mac version hit last year that doesn’t count …

… so I need more choices …

Oblivion, just based on the time I spent on it.

I haven’t played Oblivion yet,so my front runner in the having a blast playing is SpellForce 2,overall really enjoying this one.

Hitman.

Though Oblivion is darn close.

Darn you, Sharp! Now it wouldn’t make any sense to post my annual, “Anticipating your Favorite Games of the Year” thread! Hmph! Oh well, I’ll guess I’ll put the games I would have chosen for that in here, top 10 form, because just one is not enough.

1. Mother 3 - Beautiful animation, the best soundtrack around, an extremely unorthodox series of scenarios and heroes, excellent oldschool RPG gameplay, the most acute and sharpest writing I’ve seen in ages and to top it all off the battle system is a mini-rhythm game? Yes please! Seriously though, this is the most accomplished, skillfully made game of the year so far and it was more than worth the 10-year wait.

2. New Super Mario Bros. - Tons and tons of clever levels, enemies, secrets in that classic simple Mario way that’s easy to get used to and difficult to master. Yep, it’s all here in yet another platformer for the ages. Mario never gets old as long as they keep it this damn brilliant. The snowball stage? The infinite 1up spider-bouncing stage? The cool-ass ghost house designs? The creativity never seems to dry up in this series. It’s so far beyond other platformers its not wonder it outsells them all consistently.

3. Final Fantasy XII - Deep, flexible, incredibly huge and detailed. It’s not just everything a Final Fantasy should be, it’s also a bona fide Matsuno-signed signature Quest-like production. Ivalice has never been so lively or so emotionally and colorfully rendered. What a fantastic, fantastic, FANTASTIC game!

4. Contact - Everything from the stats to the combat to the crazy plot and the great visual style make this an innovative action RPG that goes right along with Grasshopper’s modus operandi of making games that aren’t exactly status quo. The Wi-Fi connection bonus is genius. Best breaking of the fourth wall ever, as well.

5. Okami - Everyone knows this has brilliant visuals, but I don’t think anyone will be expecting such a long, lovingly polished, broad and rewardingly, generously huge game. It’s the Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando of Zelda-like adventure games.

6. Shinobido Imashime/Takumi - Ha ha, I cheated because the Takumi expansion was released this year. In any event, this has the coolest action game wrapper I’ve ever seen. The political and sim-y type aspects is not just fresh, it genuinely suggests new areas action games can go from here. And Takumi just has tons and tons of value, as if the original game wasn’t already huge enough. Also, Karasu is one of hell of a cool character.

7. Children of Mana - An extremely replayable and enjoyable dungeon hack that has all the polish and execution you’d need to keep going eternally. I know some may disappointed that it’s not traditional Mana, but I like how Square isn’t making the expected, traditional followups. It was also rather surprising how high-quality the presentation was. Well, wait a minute, a Square game gorgeous and lovely sounding? Yeah, never mind, that’s not much of a surprise. The gem system is an elegant and lovely way to add customization, tinkering and depth without getting as damn complex and overwhelming as recent systems have tried for.

8. Monster Hunter 2 (dos) - Mmmm, year’s most addictive game. I’m constantly trying to get the coolest looking armor set or waiting for just the right seasonal attributes, or…there’s just almost too much to do. Yet another lovely expansion of all the ideas in the original Monster Hunter. Capcom really has turned this series into a real big-time contender.

9. The Right Brain Master! Refreshing Answers! Museum of Mistakes - Awesome puzzler. Yeah, it sounds too simple to be true, but like all good puzzle games, its the nuances and niggles they add to the basic format that make it into an addictive, endless pleasure. Probably the game I’ve picked up and played the most this entire year. For those that don’t know, its a game where you circle the difference on the bottom screen from the picture on the top. Too simple you say? Wait until you see the devious additional rules Namco plugs in…

10. Ar Tonelico - What’s that? A tower-exploring, aria-singing, body-guarding, girl-mind-hacking, techno celtic warble music 2D turn-based unique RPG involved a floating island culture? Psshaw! Too many of those lately. Seriously though, this game makes me hope Gust’s poor streak is over for good. It’s a good sign that that may be true.

Good times. Good times. I’m not sure what will trip these up for the rest of the year, but I’m guessing Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria is the only game that has a real chance at the top from now on, though if Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker or Swords turns out this year then those may take it too. Also looking forward to Persona 3, Ape Escape: Million Monkeys, King of Fighters XI, Grand Fantasm, Seiken Densetsu IV, Kamiwaza, Locoroco, Super Paper Mario, Twilight Princess and God Hand.

-Kitsune

No game yet has impressed me at all. To be fair, the only one I bought was GalCiv II… I’m holding off on Oblivion until it’s patched and modded to goodness, and (along with FEAR) until I upgrade my computer. Maybe I’m getting old and jaded. Alternately, maybe this semester really wasn’t very hot.

I had to vote for Oblivion. I’ve not spent this much time on a game in so long I couldn’t even name the last one. The fact that I’m still playing it says the rest.

Oblivion is patched and modded for goodness. I find no bugs in the game, and the mods I use make it fantastic.

Half-Life 2 Episode One. It advanced FPS AI to accomodate Alyx, and made me care about a character in a way I’ve never felt outside certain RPGs.

Best of all, it felt like a fresh FPS experience.

I completely agree, HL2: EP1 rocks, but it’s hard for me to vote for a 5 hour game over a 150 hour game like Oblivion. Luckily Robert didn’t make it an option, so my decision was easy. :)

Yeah, I did that just for you!

TOAW III

I see your TOAW III and raise you one COTA.

Have you already listed those mods in one of the Oblivion Mods threads?