Game of the Month - April 2021

Had a good time with Trials of Fire, although once I finally beat the Red Dragon I stopped playing for a bit. Other than that, I’ve been enjoying OMSI 2 an awful lot, my current transport sim of choice after several months of Train Sim.

Lets see, what did I play this month?

Mostly Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild I have… thoughts. Complicated ones. But overall I have been playing it obsessively, recognizing the design and world creation and how intricate and deliberate everything is, while also noting how there are certain things that mean it will never be my favorite entry in the series, and how I miss some elements of the older games, particularly the ones from Ocarina through Twilight Princess.

Especially the music. That’s always been one of the strongest bits in the series, and it is entirely forgettable here.

Generation Zero. Played a lot of coop with my brother. We technically “finished” it because we saw credits roll but there’s still a lot more game. Really amazing game in coop, maybe an all-time favorite.

I felt the same about BotW. Glad to know I wasn’t the only one.

Definitely Octopath Traveler (Game Pass). It’s practically everything I look for in an RPG: Structured world, fixed classes, minimal grinding, clear and simple systems, beautiful presentation. I’ve been deep into it all month.

Living Skyrim 3. Its a modpack that greatly improves everything. I could not really recommend playing Skyrim vanilla any more.

And that was one of the few things I liked about Breath of the Wild! At least the spacious and ambient ‘overworld’ pieces. Very restrained and minimal.

Two hunting games for me: Monster Hunter Rise with my console chums, and Hunt: Showdown with my brother.

Really enjoyed Observation. Intriguing sci-fi but quite a fiddly game. I also had a great time with Carrion, minus the confusing navigation and depositing biomass shenanigans.

Avengers and Injustice 2 both had excellent story campaigns.

Deliver us the Moon. Great experience with a solid story. A trophy warning - collectibles aren’t saved when you die before a checkpoint. 55/56 argh. Found them all myself though without a guide! :)

I also played a lot of Dreams and Dead by Daylight while staying home all month.

Gato Roboto gets a mention too, but I gave up at the final boss.

Bloodborne - again after a long hiatus due to spiders. Online community is still going. I am at the final boss, but still got the DLC.

I wonder if Elden Ring will be able to top this…

That sounds… really ominous.

That looks pretty slick, but my system sadly spontaneously combusted just reading the page, much less installing all 224GB of mods and attempting to get past a load screen. Sigh.

Yeah, that was pretty much my own reaction too. ;)