Game of the Month - December 2018

I had some time off and got deeper into Guild Wars 2 than I had in quite a while: I caught up with the Living Story episodes for literally the first time since they started making them; got the two collection mounts (griffon and roller beetle); finished a Legendary weapon (Twilight) that I had been picking up parts for over the course of, again, literally years; and spent enough time with a new class (Necromancer) that I feel like I actually know how to play it, rather than just grabbing an internet build and pressing some buttons in order. In addition to a lot of lesser goals achieved: they do a really good job of tossing out bite-sized tasks that actually feel like progress.

My Gloomhaven group is also about to hit a year of adventuring, and the weekends fell as such that we got in three play sessions in December, so that continued to be fun. It feels like we’re about 60% done the campaign and in a very strong place on the power curve, and we’ve revisited a few scenarios that we failed miserably to much better success.

I also played a lot of Artifact, partly as a time-killer I could play on my laptop while my wife had the TV, but partly also because I really like the interplay of design mechanics and DotA concepts. I think it’s ultimately an expansion or two too shallow right now, and the false start may have critically hurt its long term hope, but it’s been worth the money and time despite its flaws.

Distant Worlds Universe - can’t wait for the sequel.

I really enjoyed the Tropico 5 campaign. The way they re-used your saved games was pretty cool.

Also spent a lot of time with Konami Pixel Puzzles (thanks @Left_Empty for sharing it months ago) and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy CC.

VR shout out to Until Dawn Rush of Blood, which was a surprising hit with my non-gaming parents in their 70s.