Game of the Month - January 2011

I’ve been completely addicted to indie strategy-fest Creeper World. It’s not new, but it was recently on sale (GamersGate, I think) and since I loved the demo, I got the whole thing.

I want to like Dawn of War. I actually DO like Creeper World. I think most RTSes have just gotten too complicated for me.

DC Universe Online without a doubt. It’s been so addictive that I’ve ignored Fallout: New Vegas, Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood and Dead Space 2 to play it almost exclusively.

I’ve only played DCUO the last two weeks and will probably continue to do so the next weeks…

Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga, which is still unfinished at 31 hours. Special mention to Atom Zombie Smasher which ate up all my gaming time last week.

Two Worlds 2, which I initially was very pleased with, but it peters out.

Also, finally playing the original Little Big Planet with the wife (sounds like a euphemism). Of course, since I’m OCD, I end up having to also get 100% of the prizes and the awards for not dying in any levels, so I’ve been playing it quite a bit. I hate being antagonized by the trophies that aren’t within my direct control to obtain, bah.

Since Dragon Age 2 is on the way, I finally hauled out and beat Dragon Age - Awakening . Loved it. It feels a bit truncated compared to the main game, but it has all the tactical richness, variety of foes and complicated choices of the original game, along with some engaging new companions and plenty of banter. And awesome new powers. And a pretty nifty plot. And Ser Pounce-a-lot. I do hope Dragon Age 2 keeps all the things that made the first one great. It just is not looking that way.

Once I finished that, I picked Nier back up. The more I play it, the more I think it was robbed. The areas are gorgeous, the bosses impressive, the writing and translation excellent, and the combat’s satisfying. The soundtrack is incredible. And the game goes much farther afield than I’d expected - text adventure, anyone?

Borderlands, which I’ve wrapped up; the ending was … amusing. I was planning to go back to the DLC, but kinda lost the shooty need and moved over to finish Batman: Arkham Asylum over two intense days. Toss up which would be game of the month, but I think Borderlands wins for atmosphere.

Atom Zombie Smasher. Hardly played anything else at all.

I finished Fallout 3 GOTY on January 8. Since then I’ve tried to finish up Oblivion. And through it all is still World of Warcraft.

It’s been a Mass Effect month. Went back and finished the first game after about 6 months of playing it on and off (wasn’t too fond of it) so I can start ME 2 which I got for xmas. Started that last week and loving it.

Started up Fable 2 again, for the 3rd time. It’s a charming game but for some reason it just doesn’t hook me. Guess I need to play it a bit more.

And after getting frustrated on a boss battle in FF XIII (no matter what strategy or group I use I ALMOST win… but don’t!) I started playing FF XII again and almost done with it. FF’s greatest hour (gameplay wise).

Just about the only thing I’ve been playing is ME2. The PS3 version with the DLC packed in there too. It’s pretty smeggin’ huge. I’m on my second playthrough now. Between ME2 and Dragon Age I think I’m becoming a Bioware fanboy.

Also doing some odd grindy stuff (polishing off some traits and doing the occasional Skirmish) in LoTRO on my Landroval main.

Mostly Din’s Curse again (god that game is addictive), with a smattering of Just Cause 2, Freespace 2 and SWAT 4.

I’ve been playing a lot of Starcraft 2. I started playing team games with friends, and have now started playing 1v1 games in Bronze league. It’s amazing how a good matchmaking system can help make up for all the terrible design decisions of the game. I’m also amazed by how painfully bad the dialogue is in single-player; it killed all interest I had in advancing the campaign.

I also played a lot of EVE Online earlier this month, but my new job means that I haven’t recently had time to do more than log in and change some skills. Still, when I had time it was a lot of fun participating in the Fountain campaign.

Mass Effect. Really enjoying this one a lot. I was afraid that the Dragon Age-effect of playing a game through a series of corridors would put me off again, but they really did a good job this time of trying to make the game more than just the series of corridors. Looking at the beautiful vistas beyond the corridors really helps, as do the Mako missions. Exploring alien worlds is pretty awesome.

Just like everyone else, my main beef with the game is the inventory system and the elevators. Though at some points the speed of the elevators seem to indicate self-parody. The elevators kind of make me wish that I had a handheld for the first time. I’ve never known when I would play handhelds. I can’t use them while driving to work, or getting ready for work, or at work. I didn’t ever want to use them at home before, since I’d rather play games on the big screen or on the computer. But playing a little handheld game every time Shepard gets in an elevator? That sounds like a great idea to me right about now. Too bad I wouldn’t be able to play that handheld while cleaning my inventory though.

Baldur’s Gate 2. That’s all I’m sayin’.

Two words: Angry Birds.

A lot of Din’s Curse and the Diablo 2 Median XL mod, both of which I discovered early in the month. I’ve also returned to Minecraft after a few months away from it, mostly because of how much the mod scene has grown. However, I’m almost again to the point where I’ve had enough of it.

Whassat?

DCUO but I can only take it in small doses.

Dragon Knight II which has turned me off a bit once it entered the second half.

Call of Duty:Black Ops. I don’t kid myself into thinking I’m good at any of these games, but damn if I don’t have fun trying.

Dead Space 2

As someone who loves both sci-fi (syfy?) horror films and survival horror games, it doesn’t get much better than this for me. The game mixed the amazingly detailed atmosphere from number one with even smoother movement and shooting controls to present a roller coaster ride through space I’ll take again and again.