Game of the Month - January 2018

It is fun. It has been streamlined (compared to the Trails in the Sky games), but it feels like it’s better balanced now, with a greater reliance on crafts (which I think is for the better) instead of mana-based arts. As far as JRPG turn-based combat systems go, it is really fun to play and experiment with.

My game of the month had to have been Prey, which a friend generously sent me for Christmas. I thought it was decent, having read there were some pacing issues, and while I was enjoying myself, by the last third or so I just… wanted… it… to… finish… already! And while I had an inkling of what was really going on as per the post-credits scene, it wasn’t until after I saw it that I immediately wanted to replay it but focusing more on picking up the various non-human abilities.

Runner-up is Destiny 2, which I’m still playing because an hour of pew-pew after work helps me unwind, and while the grind is very real, it also provides me some small, quantifiable moments of progress. Never having played the original, it’s nice how the strikes provide more opportunities for the various familiar voice actors to get more lines/jokes in, after the campaign seems to have neglected them for much of the game.