Game of the Month - June 2011

[Ack - I apologize for the lateness of this thread. No excuses - I simply forgot.]

What’s been your primary game this past month? It could be a recent title, a new discovery, or something from your backlog. It could be an old favorite or a new flame. What game defined June 2011?

It was backlog month for me. I finished up LA Noire and I came back to Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood and finished that up as well. I even dabbled a bit in WoW after staying away for several weeks. However, my primary focus was Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom. It was a very good action adventure - not first class, but quite serviceable. The combat was mashy, but I enjoyed the exploration and puzzle solving and there was a good interaction with the Majin - a big guardian who was key to defeating your enemies and solving puzzles. The voice acting was awful, except for the Majin, and after playing LA Noire, I am forever spoiled by facial animation. I’m looking forward to The Last Guardian, which I’m hoping will take the concept of monster and boy and simply do wonderful things.

June for me was all about Hitman" Blood Money. Pc version.

Last month was all about LA Noire , inFamous 2 and Ar Tonelico 3 .

Really enjoyed infamous 2 and ar tonelico 3, but la noire somehow fell short. Several times (~3) there was an amazing surge toward the end of a desk but it always ended in utter disappointment.

Thanks for the comments regarding Majin. That was one of the games I was considering playing (and thus removing it from my backlog) for a while now.

O.o Thread is late!

Hmm… Settlers 7 , and I finished the Telltale: Back to the Future games.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, played it more than every other game I played in this month combined and even though I burned through over 100 characters (90% of them crap), it’s still some wicked fun.

tanks. many tanks. with a sprinkling of la noire and ass’ creed bro’hood.

I finally played and completed The Witcher on Hard.
I wanted to do this for ages. As everyone else says: Excellent game! Go play it and stop bitching about the nude cards!
Other HUGE game was / is Just Cause which I’m close to 50% now after like 40 hours of playing.
Bet this will be one of my games for July as well.
The achievements are so tempting so I will continue to raise hell on Panau! :p

June was a month of mostly mediocre shooters for me:

1. Duke Nukem Forever (6/10, had fun first 5 hours, guilty pleasure kind of)
  2. CoD Modern Warfare 2 (7/10, horrible scriptfest with no interactivity or variety, but awesome setpieces and rollercoaster feel still made it fun)
  3. Quantum of Solace (4/10, only 4 hours long thank god, it was just…bad)
  4. Bioshock 2 - Minerva’s Den (8/10, now that was a great DLC, just how it is supposed to be done. Very nice, personal story, not often seen in games, and fun bioshocky gameplay)

So I guess game of month was Minerva’s Den.

Dungeon Raid, yet again.

Terraria, by far. I’m pretty much done with it now though, unless they keep adding a ton more stuff.

Shit I forgot , Minerva’s Den also!

New Vegas I guess. Lots and lots to like, and I think that’s more from Obsidian putting effort into quests rather than the Fallout setting, the specifics of which don’t do anything much for me. VATS manages to be absolutely awesome, despite being an absolutely arbitrary approach to things. Move the camera! Move it again! Zoom! Blur! Fantastic. I want Skyrim to do this with crossbows. And companions. In fact it makes companions so much fun a third studio should do a party RPG with the engine. Bioware!

June was about Minecraft, and from the backlog The Witcher and Bioshock 2.

Exactly this, for me.

It was pretty much The Withcher for me, though I did start a game of Morrowind last week.

Homeworld and Avadon are what dominated June for me. On second thought, Call of Pripyat probably took up most of my time. Managed to bring everyone to Pripyat alive this time, now for the final push. Had a great time with Bulletstorm, but I’ve only put a few hours into it so far. The skillshot system is pretty addicting. Hope they take it further if they make a sequel. I want skillshot combos.

On a space binge again thanks to Homeworld. Been playing through Homeworld: Cataclysm a bit, then I resumed Freelancer which I hadn’t played in months. I reinstalled X3: Terran Conflict and tried to remember how to play. I also installed Nexus: The Jupiter Incident and did a couple of hours of that, interesting game so far and quite different from the norm. I’ve been eyeing up the 1C Space pack on Steam as I have yet to play Star Wolves. I have Space Rangers 2 but never put much time into it. Also eyeing Darkstar One for $2.49. Not sure if the 360 version is superior.

Definitely World of Tanks for me. I’ve played a huge amount since it came out in April. Close to unlocking the T-54 :-)

Shores of Hazeron. Started playing again after a couple month break. Even with all the bugs and lag this is a great game.

Batman: Arkham Asylum. It won my poll on what I should play next, and despite forcing me to almost quit twice, a night of sleep served to subconsciously consolidate the necessary reflexes. When I beat it on hard, I felt like a man. A Batman.

It was a terrible month for PC gaming. Maybe a post-E3 depression cycle where everything out now looks like crap. At least Steven from Soldak got me on a space kick so it was Sword of the Stars for me.

With boardgames it was slow as well with just a few games of San Juan.

But the real GotM was Pool since I put a table in my basement.