Game of the Month - March 2020

Animal Crossing: New Horizons and Half-Life: Alyx

Probably Pathfinder Kingmaker.

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne was my most played (again), but my game of the month award this time goes to Slay the Spire. I finally beat the game with the Silent, unlocked the Watcher, and then beat the game again with the Watcher. I’m really enjoying it now.

My game of the month was Mutazione (on iOS). I started it at the launch of Apple Arcade and liked it a lot, but the quarantine gave me the excuse to finish it. There are a few things I wish it did differently (like more robust gardening mechanics) but it was a nice story-based game that wasn’t what I expected. Most of the characters are mutants living on a fantastical island, but their stories are quite personal and mundane–love affairs, babies on the way, unspoken feelings, etc. Great music and art.

I’ve also been playing a lot of Townsmen, which I think might be the best classic-style city-builder on iOS. It has mechanics for microtransactions, but you really don’t need to pay, unless the game makes you really impatient, which I thinkmeans you’re not cut out for city-builders. Waiting is half the fun!

It’s been an insanely busy month, trying to convert long-taught classes into new and stupid formats. When I’ve had a little gaming time, I’ve been dabbling in 40K: Gladius, Nine Parchments, Stellaris, and Factorio, but haven’t cracked double digits in any of them this month.

Doom Eternal. I had my issues with it but a monster of an FPS!

Fantasy General II and Lord of the Rings Adventure Card Game for me. Both are pure gaming comfort food, but they’re been hitting the spot when I haven’t had the mental energy to focus on something more demanding.