Game of the Month - March 2023

I was sure my game of the month would be Ash of Gods: Redemption, a visual novel/tactics game very, very much in the style of The Banner Saga ;)

https://i.imgur.com/Bei19sM.jpg

It has some flaws (translation to English veers between excellent and rough; it takes no prisoners in regard to delivering you a ‘good ending’; sometimes the results of your choices are pretty arbitrary) but it’s basically the three Banner Saga games rolled into one, where you control three separate protagonists/teams with wildly different fighting styles. The tactics system is nice and crunchy, and allows you to field a lesser number of heroes in exchange for more turns, thus making them more powerful and allowing different playstyles. Huge amount of lore (to the point where it’s sometimes confusing) and a great map. Very ambitious and very worth having a look at in the event it is in your backlog.

So Ash of Gods: Redemption was it, until Last Epoch, the ARPG came along.

I’ve been playing fairly obsessively; part of that is definitely a requirement for some lighter gaming, but I love what they have done with this game. Lots and lots of levelling up and choices to make, which is what it’s all about really, right? Almost done with it now; I’m trying out a few online builds but I don’t find it as engaging when I’m following a guide (and when I’ve already run through the campaign six or seven times).