Game of the Month - May 2020

What has been your primary game this past month? It could have been a recent title, a new discovery, or something from your backlog. Or perhaps an old favorite you returned to years later? Honorable mentions are also welcome, these would be other games that you enjoyed this past month, but not the one you spent the most time enjoying.

For May my game of the month is:

Slime Rancher , relaxing and fun with a heart touching story. Glad I revisited my backlog for this.

Honorable mentions:

• CONTROL - Started playing this again (in the quarry now) with the DLSS 2.0 patch, and its even more visually stunning than before.
  • Northgard - Some relaxing Viking RTS. So many DLC clans to try.
  • Deep Rock Galactic - 1.0 arrived , lots of fun , and pick axe cosmetics!
  • RAGE 2 - Finished up the main story, now playing the Rise of the Ghosts DLC.

What game defined May 2020 for you? What was your Game of the Month?

Oh my god, is it that time already?

I can say with 100% certainty that the game I played and enjoyed more than any other this month is none other than:

Age of Wonders Planetfall (Xbox One)
It had an expansion drop this month, and to prepare I started eating and breathing the game because I have impulse control problems when it comes to donuts the Age of Wonders series. And ever since the expansion came out, it’s the only game I’ve played on console ever since.

I did play a few other games this month, but none of them nearly as much as Age of Wonders. With any luck, and after I upgrade my wife’s gaming machine, next month should see me talking about Deep Rock Galactic; a game we’ve only just dipped our toes into and have loved what we’ve seen thus far.

Anno 1800 by a wide margin. What a fantastic iteration of one of my favorite series, I’m so glad this is what they did after 2205!

My game of the month was probably Maneater. It was totally a trifle, not going to rock anybody’s world or change anybody’s life but I had a huge time swimming around attacking the local wildlife and, you know, people who dared enter my waters. Also had fun with Gears Tactics and Minecraft Dungeons, a couple other light games that I probably wouldn’t have bought but were fun enough to tinker with through Game Pass.

This month I played and enjoyed action spook-fest Control, and peaceful city-builder Before We Leave.

But my Game of the Month is Oasis, since this is one of my favorite microstrategy games ever made and on a lark I tried to see if I could download it again from where I bought it (Amazon digital – last time I tried, their system was borked) and it worked! Wish it was more widely available!

Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight
Star Valor
Black Mesa

Once again Bloody Rally Show takes the prize, followed by Deep Rock Galactic as it’s as amazing solo as it is co-op.

Old World: can’t stop playing it, so refreshing to play Civ again with an actual AI

Planetfall: pulled back in by the update, thank god diplomacy works now

This will never stop making me do a weird mental double take.

Yeah, true enough. Hard when you play something enough not to go short hand on it.

As another example, I’ve never called this one by anything other than Gladius from the get go because the name frankly is well beyond TOO long: Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War

The first Watchdogs for me. Surprisingly enjoyable. I thought there was going to be one ubiseries I’d be spared, but no, they got me there too, just took a few years and a free copy :)

God Eater 3, without a doubt. I loved God Eater Resurrection, but God Eater 2 wasn’t as good for me. God Eater 3 reminds me a lot more of Resurrection than God Eater 2, with some added QoL and some cool new features. Best God Eater game for sure, and a really enjoyable “Monster-Hunter-like”.

Honorable mentions go to SnowRunner, Monster Train, Killer Instinct and X4: Foundations.

Finished up and had a thoroughly enjoyable time with Gears Tactics, with only a momentary burst of frustration when they upped it to 3 side missions each time in the final act.

Plenty of weekend mornings were spent chugging up and down in Train Simulator, which remains a relaxing joy for me.

Got back into Yakuza 0, which game-play wise is not necessarily my thing (fighting plus rather non-interactive story), but I love the story and the characters, and it’s probably the funniest game I have ever played.

Spare moments where I didn’t know what else to play were spent with You Must Build A Boat, I think I’m on the final “quest” of the first run, didn’t quite get over the line last night.

Pathfinder Kingmaker. Passed 800 hours and wrapped up most of the non-insane achievements. Currently trying out a Fauchard Biting Tripper Build.

Finished Doom (2016) and Evil Within 2. I spent a ridiculous number of hours in House Flipper - I mean an embarrassing number of hours. End of May was preoccupied with the newest Animal Crossing.

So house flipper was fun? Did you have the yard/garden expansion for it?

Yes, and I picked up the newest expansion as well for the extra furniture and stuff.

If you like making things perfect, it will be right up your alley. I buy things and immediately sell them again because the colour is wrong. I build walls, paint them, then tear then down because I wanted one block space extra in the adjoining room. I spend literally hours just making the front gardens beautiful. You have to cut the grass with each new purchase and it takes the longest time just to do that. Some of it is just mindless cleaning.

If you decide to play, you definitely want the garden expansion though, it adds a lot to the game… uh… experience. Its not for everyone, but if you like that sort of thing, you should really like it.

(I spent at least half my time in Rift playing around in dimensions. This majorly sucked me in too.)

Definitely Snow Runner for me. I’ve just about managed to wean myself off it now so I do one or two contracts a day rather than sinking all my spare time into it.

Runner up would be Gears Tactics, which I enjoy a lot in the moment to moment but the shallowness of the strategic layer and the repetitiveness of the missions has taken the shine off.

Divine Divinity

Many people say that those upstarts at Larian are on to something and that this series will develop into something very special.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire. I got really tired of playing this game. I’m glad it’s over. Turn based mode was okay. The game just feels watered down and kind of tedious, IMO.

Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children. I just started at the end of May and haven’t played a whole lot of it. I am just now finally getting a grip on masteries and abilities, although there are a lot of text and stats to parse in the ability descriptions.

Banner Saga 2. The human losses while traveling between locations have no impact on the game AFAIK, so I feel cheated. I don’t really enjoy the combat either. I stopped playing after only a few battles.

Hard West. I barely started this. I need to read the manual before continuing, as I wasn’t able to figure out what to do on the overland map. The order in which you take over locations on the map seems to matter a lot, but I’m not sure how yet.

That’s it for May I think. If I were to select a #1 it would be Troubleshooter. The others kind of disappointed me.