Game of the Month - November 2018

What has been your primary game this past month? It could have been a recent title, a new discovery, or something from your backlog. Or perhaps an old favorite you returned to years later?

For November I spent my time continuing to enjoy Red Dead Redemption 2 (I feel I am nearing the end of chapter 4) and while I was hesitant to get it after the lackluster beta, I got it anyway… Battlefield 5 (I am leveled up to rank 16 if I recall correctly) .

Between those two games this past month I think I’ve had at least half a dozen what time is it? (looks @ clock , it’s qt3) I have to go to bed!!! experiences.

The abundance of great games this fall has been totally overwhelming!

Honorable mentions for Warhammer 40k: Mechanicus , Hitman 2 (2018) , and back with a vengeance Antihero (nearing 600 wins) .

What game defined November 2018 for you? What was your Game of the Month?

Gems of War, really sunk some time in to this one

I have really only played one game this month. I forget what it was though.

Forza Horizon 3. Nothing else came close.

Probably Rise of the Tomb Raider, I don’t tend to play a huge amount of AAA icon hoovering games but this series really hits the spot for me.

Also wrapped up Life is Strange: Before the Storm, felt it dipped in the middle but finished strongly, and the bonus chapter, ooooooooof.

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, it’s so good.

I should have been playing Crosscode, but I didn’t… I got sidetracked into some weird DOS flight sim trip. I have no idea why.
It started with Knights of the Sky, a simple WW1 flying game with a terrific campaign. I kept going down the Microprose road with F-19 Stealth Fighter, a game somewhat limited but very thrilling. I took a detour by Master of Orion, to which I’ll come back in the near-future, and then Railroad Tycoon, to which I’ll come back in the near-future, and almost jumped onboard the Gunship 2000, but I got hickjacked and I finally ended in EF 2000 v2.0’s arms.
That game is already good, but in conjunction with the reading I have been doing since starting to play Knights of the Sky, and @BrianRubin’s amazing recommendation to grab the strategy guide, this has turned into something else. You know that feedback loop where you read a book about a part of history, then play a game about that part, then read the book some more… Well this is happening here, excepting it’s in a cockpit, and looping is constant on more than a couple of levels (ho ho ho). Not only am I having a terrific experience, but a lot of stuff that didn’t make sense in simulations when I was young are now gaining concrete form. This is quickly turning into one of the best gaming experiences of my life. I’ll probably succumb to buying a not-expensive-enough joystick again…

I also started playing Field of Glory II, a game with a perfect format (battles don’t last over 40 minutes) and very nice presentation and dynamics. I am hoping to join its multiplayer fray next month.

But EF 2000 it is.

For Honor on the Xbox. Really enjoying this after getting it from games with gold earlier this year

Love it. Love.

Probably UT99.

Has-been Heroes (still!)

Also spooled up Dungeon Siege 2 for grins since I missed it the first time around. It has aged reasonably well and can play on modern systems with some ini tweaking.

And took some time with Guild of Dungeoneering. It was charming but wore off after the first couple levels.

As I’ve become an old fart I find myself with less patience for completing games. Which is weird because for the longest time I’d look at the backlog and say, “oh yeah, retirement is going to be fun”.

Early on Fallout: New California, later Pathfinder Kingmaker.

Curiously enough, Grim Dawn. I have tons of games (old and new) to play, but I had a Grim Dawn itch in November, and it was the one thing I really wanted to play. So there. ;)

Grim Dawn as well for me. Also been playing the Hitman 2016 levels in Hitman 2.

Been enjoying Let’s Go Pikachu a whole lot, but I think my favorite game this month is Battlefield V. Sure, it has plenty of bugs and limited content, but damn is it a fun game. I think the basic movement and gunplay have never been better in a BF game, and the new squad mechanics actually work (for the most part).

Deity Empires… Masters of Magic, made deeper, but no prettier

Well it’s Factorio innit.

For me it’s Rocket League and Assassins Creed Origins, also a healthy mention to Hitman GOTY edition.

Since 26th October I haven’t seen any movies, read any books or seen any TV because all my free time is spent wild westing in Red Dead Redemption 2. I am in chapter 6 now and expect to finish it sometime later this year. It is a masterpiece for sure.

Quadrilateral Cowboy and loving Through the Ages still.