Game of the Month - November 2019

I’ve mainly been playing The Outer Worlds. It bogged down a bit in the mid-game, in which you can gather a slew of side quests that all happen on the same planet. My least favorite part of the game is all the loading. Even on an XBox One X, the load times are pretty long, and you can encounter a lot of them just working on one quest. I also wish they’d had the time/budget/ambition to make a more fleshed out and cohesive loot system. I stopped bothering with consumables about two hours in, and discovered the limits of weapon variety shortly thereafter.

Having said all that, I’m headed toward the endgame, and I’m still interested in completing the companion quests and side quests, so obviously there’s something here that I like.

Second place in terms of active engagement (but the runaway winner in terms of hour count) is the Perfect Team mode in OOTP 20. That one sort of plays itself, as it simulates every 30 minutes between 8am and midnight. I’ve just been watching the results and upgrading my team as I earn enough points. I lucked into probably the best pitcher in the game from an early random pack, and he’s helped earn enough currency to finance steady incremental improvement without a real-world investment. I should really get into the meat of the actual baseball sim outside this mode, but the sheer breadth is a little intimidating.