Game of the Month - October 2011

Orcs Must Die is the first game ive purchased in ages. Have already spent quite a few hours on it/

Thanks for starting the thread. My life has been way too busy lately.

(This parenthetical comment is for Crysis on the PS3. I hadn’t played it on the PC, and I thoroughly enjoyed this single player shooter. If it wasn’t for this next game, it would easily be my game of the month.)

I AM THE GODDAMN BATMAN!

A few reasons I love Batman: Arkham City

Opening up the map for the first time and realizing I could go anywhere in this city.
An in-game reason to give me hints on where the Riddler hid all his trophies.
An in-game reason to keep playing after the credits as both the Batman and Catwoman.
As Catwoman, diving at an enemy 30 feet away and taking him down.
The feeling - every once in a while - that the combat is clicking perfectly.
Is it bad that I’m thinking of getting the Nightwing DLC, even though I haven’t even touched the challenge maps yet?

FIFA 12 (PS3) - but not as much as I would have thought
Minecraft SMP (PC) with Industrial-, Build- and Weaponscraft - a lot more than I would have thought.

Another vote for Orcs Must Die.

I have almost 50 hours logged into Dark Souls and my interest has not waned in the slightest.

I bought Battlefield 3, played it once, then went back to Dark Souls.

Orcs Must Die probably ate the most of my gaming time, but only because it’s the first game my son has had any interest in playing co-op with me. This game doesn’t have a co-op mode, so we just take turns playing and kibbitz each other.

I’ve been playing Magic the Gathering: Duals of the Planeswalkeres on the PC. WORST.INTERFACE.EVER! OMFG, the UI in this is horrible. After playing MtgO for a while the DotPW UI seems almost a showstopper for me. Would be a great game with a good UI.

Nothing but Dark Souls: easily one of my favourite games ever.

That part’s a pisser. You think you’re done with mission and then BWOOP there you are in another area as big as the first.

I liked that area, actually, because I finished Warehouse 1 and went exploring and found this other warehouse, and knocked out everyone inside it, and then went back and did the actual mission goals one after another in like thirty seconds :-)

I’m going to one-up the “old Bioware game” trend and say that I’ve been playing Jade Empire, which was the only game of theirs I never finished. I’m going to push to the end this time.

The work they put into realizing the world is the main draw to this game. The combat is pretty bad. I had to drop it down to easy because I found it so unresponsive. Of course on easy, it’s pretty trivial, but I suppose I’m playing this game more for the story and the world than the challenge.

I also wish there were more RPG gameplay. You level up your stats and your skills, but there isn’t really any meaningful choice or customization going on - you need to keep your stats pretty much balanced all the way through. You learn new fighting techniques as you progress, but they are mostly the same as each other. There’s barely any loot chase at all - just gems to give you minor ability powerups.

The most disappointing thing about Jade Empire is the game it could have been. I would really love for Bioware to revisit this world.

Space Marine has taken a lot of my time this month, as I finally start to get into the multiplayer. That’s the only thing I can remember having spent appreciable time on, besides the usual Arsenal of Democracy on weekends.

cant seem to get rid of my tankoholicism.

All of that is cool, it’s just the first time you hop aboard the extraction chopper thinking you’re headed back to home, you end up being dropped off for another mission (essentially) with no intermission.

Hey, I’m also playing that! I went on a Bioware binge last month, playing through DA:O:Awakening and all the DLC finally, replaying Mass Effect as a Renegade. Now I’m in the middle of Jade Empire, a game I never finished before, or really even got out of the starting area. As sinnick says, combat is not very good, and the RPG elements are too streamlined for my liking, but I don’t find it terrible. It still has that Bioware worldbuilding going for it.

Otherwise, I’m still playing a ton of Space Pirates and Zombies. Love that game.

Disgaea 4 and Dark Souls.

Still digging Gears of War 3 (and all its modes), which means I’ve had less time to play Forza 4. It also meant I could easily avoid Battlefield 3, especially after that horrible beta (on the 360).