Game of the Month - October 2017

Well this month it seems Book of Demons has been my most enjoyed game. I picked it up recently and love the way you can customize the level play length. Also enjoying trying out the ironman mode to get on my friends high score boards.

Not a hugely gamey month for me, first time in a while that I didn’t finish something. I’ll go with Divinity OS2 which I found a new lease of life with once I put the difficulty on explorer and I could start beating battles on first try instead of playing them for an hour over and over again.

It’s a toss up between SuperHot and Valley - enjoyed both of them and played them back to back.

Played a bunch of shorter games this past month, which were all enjoyable: Spirits of Xanadu, The Magic Circle, CAT Interstellar, Fibrillation, Near Death… I think I enjoy my time gaming more if the games I play can be finished in less than six hours.

Guess I have to go with Alien: Isolation, even though it’s three years old, since I started and completed it during the month of October. I always meant to go back to it after I stalled out maybe halfway through on release, but crazy as it sounds I had kind of intense reaction to the game. So I kind of thought of it as therapy, though it didn’t take long before all the videogamey AI reared its head and things went from kind of cool and spooky to fairly annoying. I talked in the game thread in detail, but I’ll just say in summary that I loved the world they built but I’m not sure the whole thing came together as an Alien experience for me.

Runner up would be The Walking Dead: A New Frontier, which I also played through last month, wrapping up last night. I liked it better than most, or at least better than reviews would have led me to believe I would. I thought it was pretty solid, if not as good as the first season then at least equal to the second.

Once again, Warframe is high on the list.

I’ve also been playing a lot of MekHQ/Megamek for the AAR I’m doing, and I’ve played through most of the content available in two tycoon games, Rise of Industry and Airport CEO. I’m more excited for the latter, but the former looks further along.

I think the GotM thread needs an intro next time, @lordkosc. Is it the best game released last month? The best game you played last month? The game you played most last month? I’m never quite sure how I’m supposed to reply. C’mon, man. These are official thread informational staples you’ve got to provide! :)

It has always been the game you enjoyed the most the previous month. :)

I guess I felt it has been implied as I’ve been doing the thread since April of 2012 and before that Aristophan was the starter of threads.

He always did an intro like this: What’s been your primary game this past month? It could be a recent title, a new discovery, or something from your backlog. It could be an old favorite or a new flame. What game defined (month here)?

I will try harder next month! :p

Never assume everyone has been here since April of 2012!

Will do! I updated my OP with a new intro. :)

Also the oldest post for GotM I could find was from January 2009. So its been going on for quite a while!

I wonder what ever happened to Aristophan.

I guess mine would be Guild Wars 2… although I don’t feel like I play it as much as I just run around in it.
If I had to pick a very precise game though, it would be my previous game of Twilight Struggle against Zinczuk, which was one of the most eventful I experienced.

The “blocking” exploit, discovered in the beta and which hasn’t been fixed as far as I know since then, is what killed the game for me. Winning using it doesn’t feel satisfying, yet it is such an effective tactic. If the easiest way to win is the least enjoyable one, I can’t trust myself to not exploit it and thus have a bad time at the game - weak that way I am!

Totally with Rob on this: the basic game is very enjoyable, and the contrast is stark with the lackluster base running mechanic, which is both infuriating and boring to watch. I understand the physical version is very… physical on that occasion, and something needs to be done about the computer translation.

Antihero blocking is still in the game, and is still effective on certain maps. :)

The developer did add the option to exit from the back of the guild house, so only the boat map can really be blocked well.

I finished Mass Effect 3, this ending a three month long space adventure.
So many feels. What a great trilogy.

I think it’s time to start convincing Chappers to begin with the first game again!

I’m in!

Clash Royale defines every month for me since it’s the only thing I seem to be able to find time for consistently. That said, this month’s most played videogame beyond that was either Yakuza Kiwami that I binged through about six hours of one Saturday or Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle that I also found enough time to beat a bunch of missions in before the end of the month.

I played some Metroid: Samus Returns, the beta for Star Wars: Battlefront IIwhich I quite liked, finished Kamiko on the Switch, and every month I play a lot of Pinball Arcade. This month’s newest table, Ghostbusters Premium is superb and I enjoyed trying out Fathom which I had never played before. I sniffed out Quake Champions for about an hour which was awesome, took a couple runs at Enter the Gungeon and on October 31 I finally got to play the amazing Super Mario Odyssey for about two hours or so.

Make me pick one and it’s Yakuza Kiwami because I probably played it the longest and I’m looking forward to more when the PS4 frees up for me again.

Had two weeks free, hammered away at my X1 backlog. Down to 10 games!

Really enjoyed Battlefield Hardline, Dead Rising 2 Case Zero, Mirror’s Edge Catalyst, Roundabout, Slime Rancher and Titanfall 2. Hard to pick a favorite from all those :) Slime Rancher wins the highest time played, over 24 hours.

All about Destiny 2.

I haven’t played Slime Rancher since it hit 1.0, I really need to find time to go back! Does the story have a proper ending?

Divinity Original Sin 2 for me, without a doubt. Only in Act 2 but still having a good time with my all-conjurer party. I even played some multiplayer DOS2!!!

Is it because Slime Rancher is a really good time, or is it because it’s a time sink by its nature?