Game of Thrones (HBO) for those who have read Game of Thrones, etc

Spoiler Alert: He’s not going to finish the books.

Am I the only one who thinks this show would have been much improved had Matt Berry been cast as Euron Greyjoy?

So I assume the revelation at the end of this season indicates that the Aegon in the books really must be the mummer’s dragon, and is likely a Blackfyre. He may not even know it, but others do I’m sure, and are willing to use him as their prop. The true “Aegon” is to be Jon.

Can you explain the bold terms? I’m not familiar.

The Blackfyres were an offshoot of the Targaryens that tried to seize power in Westeros a few times. They were founded by a bastard son of one of the kings that was legitimized on that king’s deathbed; they felt they had a good claim. They later formed the Golden Company (of which Aegon is a member).

The Mummer’s Dragon was a weird prophecy\thingamajib that Quaithe said to Dany when she was in Mereen, I think. She warned her about several people; a kraken (presumed Victarion), the perfumed seneschal (some think Varys, others think that dude she’s marrying\married), and the mummer’s dragon (which would mean “false” or “acting” dragon). In the books, we’ve seen … Quentyn (sp?) claim he had a little bit of Targaryen blood, and Aegon (who sports the appearance of a Targaryen) in Book 5 (hence the title, to some degree).

Some thought Quentyn (fuck I should look up how to spell his name) was the mummer’s dragon, but I’m pretty sure now that it’s False Aegon.

Since Aegon is a member of the Golden Company, it’s possible that there are still some Blackfyres hanging about in that troop; or at least, they’d know where some were, so Varys and perhaps Jon LastnamestartswithaC conspired to find a baby Blackfyre who had the Targ appearance to pull their “Aegon’s alive, check it out” ruse.

Assuming that Winds of Winter will be finished, do you think GRRM will ever get to a time jump in the series?

I just don’t see how that would be possible. A time jump doesn’t feel jarring when you’re reading a book, only if the various stories that you’re following all allow for a relatively static time period.

I could see a time jump for Arya being possible in Braavos, for instance, because she started training with the Many-faced God disciples. But we couldn’t do a time jump because so many of the other characters being followed don’t allow for a time jump. You couldn’t do a time jump for Jon’s story up at the wall, for instance. Things are NOT static up there. You could maybe do a time jump for Bran, because he’s now where he needs to be to train. But then how do you square that with other parts of the story that are not static?

Now that I think of it, I can’t even remember where I read that GRRM was planning a time-jump at some point.

GRRM talked about a 5-year gap after book 3 quite a bit. He struggled with it writing book 4, going so far as writing a 250-page-ish prologue explaining what everyone did during those 5 years. But it just didn’t work and he abandoned it.

There won’t be a time gap at this point.

Quentyn was the sun’s son. fAegon is definitely the mummer’s dragon. One interesting theory I’ve seen thrown around is that Quaithe is Shierra Seastar, another Blackfyre bastard and the woman, and half-sister, that Bloodraven loved. But I think there’s precious little textual support for that notion and it would be a bit repetitive to have what would feel like every Targ/BF from recent history turning up as active players in current events.