Game of Thrones (HBO) for those who have read Game of Thrones, etc

Pffffffffft. We’ll see.

Also fuck Discord for no easy strikethrough markdown?

You could always use the old-fashi^H^H^H^H^H classic method.

Remember this farmer, they come up again in S7E1.

We will never see GRRM finish this series. I don’t think he is capable of finishing it off. He will either die before he finishes it or he will simply abandon it. Of course he will never tell us if he chooses the latter but I think by 2025 we will be able to figure that out.

Season 4 Ep 4: So it’s interesting the way the show still hasn’t caught up to the events in Book 3, and yet is setting up and showing events from Book 4 and Book 5 in other areas.

I liked the scene in Bravos between Davos, Stanis and the people from the bank of Bravos. In the books, Cersei kind of flips off the Iron Bank of Bravos in Book 4, and by the end of Book 5 we still don’t know if that will end up having any consequences (although it is implied that they will come), so this scene was kind of nice in that it setup the Bank as an entity in the story that will be important later, perhaps, by making it important now for Stannis.

Season 4 Episode 6: So the trial of Tyrion Lannister. I was very curious how they would handle Shae in the TV series’ trial, since she’s so different from Shae from the books. I thought it was done really well! The whole trial was just brilliant. It was different from the book but had the most important dramatic beats, and some added ones for good measure. I loved it so much, I couldn’t resist watching partially into the next episode.

I’m dying of curiousity on what they’re going to show in the conversation between Jaime and Tyrion after the trial by combat when Jaime comes to free him. Will he make the same confession about Tyrion’s first wife? The confession that leads Tyrion to kill his father? That conversation about his first wife WAS in the TV series in the first season. But will TV audiences even remember it from that far back? I’d think they wouldn’t remember. In which case, I’d think they’ll change it to something else. But what else could be so incendiary that it would lead Tyrion to murder his father?

I guess I’ll find out soon enough.

Meanwhile, they continue to change Arya’s adventures completely from the books. At this point, I don’t remember what was in the books anymore since it’s diverged quite a bit. I do remember she didn’t get Needle back at the tavern in the books like she did here. I’ve given up on her side of the story ever being as satisfying as the books, even though she’s my favorite of the Starks in the book.

And on the Wall, Jon Snow continues to be there and the wall still isn’t being attacked from behind. His pursuers seem to have forgotten about him or chosen not to follow him to the wall like in the books. I do wonder if they’re going to change that part of the story or if that attack from behind is still coming. I know that unlike in the books, they haven’t shown the huge set of wooden stairs leading up the wall, which was the secret to that victory in the books. So maybe they’ll change that battle in the series.

This is probably wise.

I loved that the scene between Obyren and Tyrion was pretty much word for word from the book. And absolutely wonderfully acted by Dinklebot. I’m impressed. I didn’t know he had it in him.

I loved the second last episode of Season 4. The whole episode was about the battle on the Wall. They combined the attack from the South and the North into one battle, which I have to admit, was a pretty smart bit of script-writing, and it made tactical sense too.

The Season 4 finale was very good. Brienne on her adventures from Book 4 met Aria from her adventures in Book 3! Temporal time warp! And Brienne was the one that brought down The Hound! Oh how delicious. I actually enjoyed that. The final scene between The Hound and Arya was almost word for word from the book, and very well done.

The fighting scene from Book 5 in the Northern frozen areas against the Undead was much more easy to follow than in the book. So Bran is now already where he was near the end of Book 5. King’s Landing’s events are now caught up to the end of Book 3.

Interesting that they completely eliminated Tyrion’s first wife from the story. Now he was mad at his father for condemning him to death for a murder he didn’t commit. Which makes sense I guess. It’s not as cool as what was in the books, but I guess this means that in the TV series we’ll never find out what happened to Tyrion’s first wife. I’m 90% sure GRRM will turn her up sometime in the books if ever writes the end of the series.

The female dwarf wasn’t at Joffrey’s wedding either, so she’s not going to be in the events of Book 5 for Tyrion’s adventures across the narrow sea.

And I noticed Mance doesn’t have a baby. So they combined babies in the TV series, so there’s not going to be any switching of babies going on.

Only one season to go to catch up to the books, I think. Then it’s all new stuff! I can’t wait. Coming up in Book 4, Cersei’s walk of shame from the Church to the Castle was one of the best written chapters in the whole series. I really hope they do it justice in the TV series.

Yeah, you’re in for a treat. There’s a reason that one particular bit of imagery became a meme.

After watching the Season 5 premier, I realized there’s one way in which Book 3’s events haven’t all come to pass yet. Jon Snow is still not the head of the Night’s Watch. That whole election thing where Sam arranges a victory for Jon, that is still to come. And Littlefinger still hasn’t taken Sansa to where he came from. He seemed to be taking her somewhere in this episode, without telling her where, so that popped into my mind.

So, Season 5, Ep 2: Wow, the changes from the books, there are so many in this episode, and I’ve only seen 10 minutes!

Brienne not only found Arya, she found Sansa too! Holy shit! And then Jaime is going to go on a mission to Dorne to get Marcella with Bronne? What is going on? My head is spinning.

It only gets worse. Not that deviating from the texts automatically means bad stuff, but season 5 is a flaming pile of dog shit IMO.

Oh man. And now Sansa is going to be married to Ramsey Bolton? I guess in this version of the story, they’re not very good at keeping the whereabouts of the Stark girls a secrete anyway, so why bother with a fake Arya to marry.

Season 5 is the worst in the series, no doubt about it.

Except Hardhome! I can’t leave that season with a poor taste in my mouth because of Hardhome.

Do we?

You know, one thing that makes up for the wild fan fiction that Season 5 has become, is the music. The music has been stellar in this season so far. Like the scene in which Daenarys stands in front of everyone and announces the punishment for the former slave who cut down the Son of the Harpy before he could stand for a fair trial. The scene was so well done in general, and just dripping with tension, but the music also really helped with that. It was just beautiful.

And last night, in the episode where both Gray Worm and Ser Barristor Selmy were severely injured and/or dead in a Son of Harpy ambush, the music again was superb. They really stepped up their game this season in terms of the audio.

EDIT: On a different note, it looks like they completely eliminated the portion of Tyrion’s adventure where he meets up with the mercenaries who have another hidden Targarean heir who they want to restore to the Throne.

You know, I can’t say that I don’t like this change. I always thought it was strange that GRRM introduced a new hidden heir like that out of nowhere.