Game of Thrones (HBO)

Oh also, that library was amazing…how many days will Sam be lost in there before Gilly takes the boy and leaves?

And the dismissal of the Sand Snakes - thank you!!

Jeez, that stuff before the Frey/Lannister gathering was effed up.

All I know is the Sansa that fed her enemy to dogs and kept an army in her pocket while her brother was facing impossible odds and possibly going to die was not the the girl Ned Stark helped raised. She got a lot more Littlefinger and Ramsay in her now and… I’m thinking she has a chance to turn, well what most would call bad.

Oh also, that library was amazing…how many days will Sam be lost in there before Gilly takes the boy and leaves?

And the dismissal of the Sand Snakes - thank you!!

That was an amazing library they showed… like visually worthwhile when it could have been so stale.

Why is everyone so hung up on the timeline? I can’t seem to find an image of it, but there’s a foreword in one (maybe all?) of the books that explains that due to the vast distances and numbers of characters involved that time is not always linear. One scene might be in one place and time, and then the next scene is days or weeks earlier or later. How many seasons do you want to waste on boring filler so they can synchronize everyone’s timeline? Really?

Couple of q’s I need clarifying:

1. why would Cersei kill the old guy in robes that looks like Santa Claus (Master Pycelle?)? Was he responsible for the Sparrows taking over the City?

2. Why are kids killing Santa Claus? Is Santa a pedophile?

1. The old lady in robes meets with the Black Haired Dorn lady who killed Julian Bashir. Looks like they now have an alliance. But what forces do they have other than Dorn forces? The other sides have massive armies. Are they going to try to take the Iron Throne? Or just take out the Lannisters?

2. How can the Eunich be in Dorn one minute talking to Julian Bashir’s killer and then end up on Emilia Clark’s ship the next? Can he teleport? Won’t people notice that he is gone for extended periods of time?

3. What did the Eunich offer the Dorn people and the Old Lady in Robes when they revealed him at the end?

1. The Fat Guy in the Library. Why was that scene such a big deal? Ok… so there is a big library. Is he going to win the war for Jon Stark by obtaining a PhD? wtf?

Comment regarding the library: I couldn’t help but think how obsolete libraries are these days. All those book could fit into a single Amiga 500.

Thanks

Jon isn’t fireproof. He burned his sword hand fighting the wight in season 1, remember?

Heh, Facebook comment I read this morning: “I was hoping Jon would be Robert and Lyanna’s love child. That way he’d be heir to the throne.”

Varys went off to find allies in Westeros for Dany. I’m going to predict/assume that the Tyrells are now going to be a willing landing point for Dany’s fleet, serving as her base of operations for the retaking of the 7 Kingdoms.

Not sure why there is all this doubt about Pycell being killed. He was always on her bad side, even before the Small Council shut her out. After the Small Council essentially pissed all over her, I wasn’t the least bit surprised that she would have him killed. An alternative may be that Cersei didn’t have him killed, but the shunned maester (I forget his name) took the initiative to kill him so that he could become the new maester. He specifically said something like “it isn’t personal, but in order for the new to take hold, the new must be destroyed”.

I don’t think Arya stole any of the faces. They distinctly show her carving the Waif’s face to be mounted in the hall of faces. My assumption was that she knows how to take faces now and use them for her own ends. That wench may very well have been legit during the feast, with Arya later killing her and taking her face for infiltration purposes.

It is the will of the seven gods that nobody is allowed to leave a room once a trial has started!

I have not watched yet this episode, but this one is easy. Pycelle is just a Lannister piece, he exist and is supposed to agree with Cersei and help anything Cersei or the Lannister need. He is supposed to no have personal agenda, only further the lannister agenda. But then he helped the small council refuse to accept cersei. So in a way, he is a traitor and a enemy. Two reasons to kill him.

That would be a weird heel turn for a character that previously refused to kill an innocent actor.

Notice that was the same wench giving Jaimie the eye? She was scoping a target of opportunity.

Terrific episode, and the end to my favorite season of the show so far. Key points for me:

• Arya’s bit was terrific, and it caught me by surprise. Who’s next?
  • Lady Mormont steals every scene she’s in
  • Sansa gave Littlefinger an odd look during the ‘King in the North’ chants. I’m not sure she’s wholly happy with the result
  • Thank goodness we finally saw the Tower of Joy scene. We all knew it was coming, but it’s a great plot twist
  • Lady Olenna telling the Sand Snakes to STFU was the only scene in Dorne that anyone wanted to see. Diana Rigg has incredible presence
  • Dany is finally on the way
  • Tommen, ‘King’s Landing’

The best part was the opening sequence. The music alone was chilling, and Lena Headey is great. I loved every bit of her performance, especially “He should be with his father. And his sister. And his brother,” her mouth full of ashes. Part of it is because I like the actress, but part of me will be rooting for the mad queen next season.

THose are not the Great Houses though, they swear fealty to one of the Great Houses. In the North the Great House is Stark. Most of the Great Houses were Kings of their regions when the Targaryens invaded, and united the Seven Kingdoms.

I would imagine that the Great Houses would still have plenty of people to elevate, just not direct lines. A few inter-house wars or assassinations and minor houses backing a cousin or uncle in a Great House will resolve the issue eventually.

1. Pycelle was a Lannister stooge who betrayed them when he felt the power shifting.

2. I think the kids are whats left of Varys’s little birds? Either that or Qyburn (the exiled Maester) is trying to create something similiar, and evidently more sinister.

3. The TYrells are a Great House and had minor participation in the war, so they are still mostly intact militarily/financially. As is Dorne. If they Ally with Dany she will steamroll through the 7 kingdoms unless something interferes… Something cold and dead.

4. Time is a funny thing in TV shows.

5. The winning-side. The Ace-in-the-hole. The true ruling house returning to a kingdom that has no king.

Edited to change the fact that the Tyrells did participate in the War of the Five Kings.

Littlefinger told Sansa that everything he does is about achieving his vision of sitting on the Iron Throne (right, he said Iron Throne, not just at Winterfell?) with her at his side. So I think that look was acknowledging that she knows that that whole scene was orchestrated by him with the larger goal in mind.

What role she wants to play in making that happen is to be determined. So far it seems like she’s just wanted to get back home. She hasn’t seen the White Walkers and probably only understands abstractly what their threat is.

Brief answers:

1-2. Cersei hated Pycelle. He was a foul old lech, and he opposed her politically. The children were Vary’s ‘sparrows,’ or at least they were. Now, the tiny spy network is being run by the maester Cersei brought in to replace Pycelle. He also made Zombie Gregor.

1. The “Old Lady” is Olenna, the senior surviving member of the Tyrell family. They’re the wealthiest house, and their military appears to rival that of the Lannisters. She was also the mastemind behind Joffrey’s death. Olenna is a bad enemy to have, especially now that she’s lost everything she cares about

2. Time is not one-for-one in this show. Given the broad scope of the plot in both space and time, you perhaps have to forgive a lack of precision in what is concurrent, sequential or somewhat displaced. D&D don’t bother with “two months later” placards between scenes, but you can pretty much fill them in yourself as needed, if you’re inclined to give the show a break.

3. We don’t know what Varys offered anyone. His mission was to make allies in Westeros. He’s clearly put some things in place, then returned (he said, as he was leaving that if he didn’t return, that would mean he failed). We’ll find out later

4. The fat guy in the library is Sam (do you really not know who any of the characters are, or are you just expressing disdain?). Most of the land does not believe the walkers are real, much less how to kill them. Sam has seen them and actually killed one. He’s been sent south to research how to fight the coming horde. The last time this happened was generations ago, so nobody alive remembers. So, yes, he may “win the war for Jon Stark.”

I had not thought of that. I interpreted that scene as Littlefinger losing, and Sansa wavering on what to do. But you’re probably right, and I think I like your version better.

I don’t think she will become an Evil character, as in a villain on the show. But I think she will be a force to be reckoned with the the Great Game. A schemer manipulator along the lines of what we see in the “Southern Houses.”