Game of Thrones (HBO)

Season 7 promo:

https://youtu.be/JxWfvtnHtS0

So I guess the play this year is the balance of power of those big three characters. I’m sure it’s going to be fantastic. It’s been so long though I really need to rewatch a few episodes in preparation.

The NY Times broke the big story today: HBO has not one, not two, not three, but four different Game of Thrones spin-offs in development.

That’s not to say that they’re going to come out with 4 different shows, but they do want to come out with something, so they’ve got teams working on separate projects to evaluate them.

It’s sort of no surprise, as GOT is basically HBO’s LOTR or Star Wars at this point. It’s a massive, worldwide franchise that they can nurture. Besides, they’ve already got an army of folks in Europe working on Game of Thrones, so there’s a lot of advantages right there, as they don’t have to spin-up from scratch.

Benioff and Weiss would get their names attached as executive producers (as they’re the creators of the TV franchise), but they’re moving on after GOT Prime goes off the air next year. They’ve sunk more than 12 years of their lives into the series (remember, there was like 5 years of development hell), they want to do different things, and they’ve already lined up projects. I imagine Corgman would get a promotion to an executive producer, him being the the keeper of the lore, and they team him up with some of HBO’s killer stable of producers to help run the show.

The GOT experts at The Ringer already have an article up about ideas for the spin-offs.

Great news. I hope all four of them make it to a show.

Eww, no.

Not a huge surprise, and the bevy of interested showrunners is nice. My only hope (and I’m pretty sure this would be happening) is an Egg & Dunk series; I can’t really think of anything else specifically I’d like to see though. Maybe something in Braavos, or the rise of the Targaryens.

— Alan

The great part of this news is how it mentions GRRM is working with the various teams of writers. That sure is great use of all his abundant spare free time he has since the series is finished and he can rest on his laurels.

Yeah, he’s definitely going to end up pulling a Robert Jordan with the main ASoIAF story.

Oh god, as long as Brandon Sanderson doesn’t finish the books. I’m an unabashed hater of everything Wheel of Time, having wasted however many hours the first 4 books took before giving up 20 years ago. It was pretty impressive they managed to find the only other author who I disliked as much to finish them.

Hey, you’re like mirror me! What did you think of that rice bowl we had for lunch?

No, Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson will.

LOL Now that was just evil.

That is indeed harsh.

Ouch. Are they still “duning” things up?

He’s not ever going to finish. He doesn’t want to at this point, in my opinion. And yep it is very similar to Jordon, who continued to write about stupid non impacting shit despite his medical prognosis once he had it.

I will watch the hell out of anything Game of Thrones related, but at this point it’s a cash cow. Ending the book series would limit options.

Shouldn’t we be happy that it’s a “cash cow” for HBO? I mean isn’t it weird that people now actually worry about HBO milking ASOIF after so many of us once thought it might not even have a chance to stay on TV past one season?
I mean I’m as cynical as the next guy but I certainly don’t have a problem with the possiblity of seeing another story in this setting. The worst that can happen is that it is a mediocre TV show but to me it’s still exciting to think how mainstream shows like GoT have become and it’s not only just fantasy stuff that’s affected by its succes. I’m sure Westworld wouldn’t exist without GoT and it’s certainly no coincidence that other books like The Expanse or The Handmaiden’s Tale are adapted for TV shows (there is even a chance to finally get a competentTV adaption of Dune).

I’m extremely happy, but let’s be honest, it’s because the series has been fantastic on HBO. Will these spinoff remain the same? That’s hard to say.

Well Jorden actually kept putting books out he just would never stop and finish it. Martin I agree seems to either not care really or maybe he’s got some crazy case of writers block. Who knows. I gave up on the books years ago and am content to just enjoy the TV series and leave it at that.

Amen, brother. It’s been fantastic. The hardest part has been convincing my other Martin-reading friends who refuse to watch the series to start watching it. (I know, I don’t understand them either.)

Your friends sound like they’d be super fun at parties. Nah, we hate everything fun and popular, let’s go listen to Leonard Cohen and talk about Nietzsche.