Game of Thrones (HBO)

The battle of the bastards was well done, very well done.

Ehhhhh, it was visually great, but tactically dumb. They had set up Jon to try and pull a Cannae since he had the inferior force, but then they did the dumbest possible thing. ‘Hey that plan we had that could actually work? Screw that, Leeroy Jenkins motherfuckers!’

It bothered me.

And that’s not the type of choreography I was talking about.

Why? They’ve never made Jon out to be a strategic genius, whereas Bolton is, and a master manipulator to boot. Jon is a man who leads from the front and is respected because he does what he feels is right. That got him killed once and would have done so again, but for luck. Starks die left and right, but they always engender loyalty, not to the individual Stark (who’s usually dead), but to the line. It’s a direct contrast to the Lannisters, who are much better thinkers, but don’t engender loyalty.

In the context of the battle, Bolton’s superior strategic mind would have won him the day, but for the external intervention. Bolton came to the battle ready to disrupt Jon’s plans.

If they had set it up so that Jon wouldn’t have lost (on his own) despite the strategic stupidity, that’s something to be bothered about. The way it played out isn’t a reason to be bothered, though, unless you’re expected perfect characters.

Trailer 2

Daaaaaaaaaamnnnnnnnnnn

Hmmm… the Lone wolf dies but the pack survives? Jon Snow going down for good this time?

Trailer is awesome by the way.

Or becomes an undead girlfriend.

Lovely trailer, and a blazing sword huh… maybe not faked this time.

Man … please don’t be Sansa as the only stark. I’m not a huge fan.

Also, someone knife Littlefinger in the back on episode one, please. I’m so tired of that creepy bastard.

I expect we’ll get a full dose of the Arya Stark Magical Murdering Tour. If anything she’s the lone wolf.

Sansa doesn’t necessarily have to be talking about anyone specifically, just making the “together we stand, divided we fall” by analogy.

I want to see her reunited with Nymeria and that huge wolf pack.

Me too. Actually, in general, I want to just see more wolves. I really hate the we can have dragons or we can have wolves because of cost approach.

Yeah it really sucks how little the wolves have been featured. They pretty much only get screen time when they are getting killed. Where the fuck is Ghost?

That is one of my bigger irritations with the show, honestly. They had strong symbolic value and have largely been absent. Aside from Ghost have we seen more than 10 minutes total of them since season 1?

I’d level the same criticism at the books at this point.

That’s probably one of the spinoffs HBO is planning right now. All wolves, all the time.

I was thinking the same thing. The wolves kinda disappear from the books as well.

The wolves get tied more and more to the Stark kids’ warging skills in teh books. Jon and Arya both connect quite a bit (relative to their # of PoV chapters), and GRRM has said Nymeria and that massive wolf pack is a Chekhov’s gun waiting to go off. I have a theory for Arya’s final fate that I think book 5’s prologue heavily foreshadowed, but that’s best written in the series thread.