Game of Thrones (HBO)

Projecting? No. What Sam did is human. He didn’t even listen to her. This is a normal conversation, like if a wife and husband were at a table and he’s not listening to her at all. The problem is, Sam is over there to learn stuff. He basically shoved cotton in his ears and stopped listening, stopped learning, so he could pout about the old guys ignoring him. That’s a fault on Sam. That’s a weakness. It might make it seem more real, but this is a series that often punishes faults and mistakes… severely sometimes/often.

I think at the least. Perhaps more than that? Remember, when Dany sailed for Westeros at the end of last season she said she needed to be free to make an alliance by marriage and it is A Song of Ice and Fire after all.

You are just explaining why he hasn’s listened (being too tired) not why he should have listened. It would infinitely far better suit Littlefinger or Varys to pick up info like that. Sam, much less so. And I am almost sure that Bran knows even that and that he is the one to tell Jon, so the only reason why the scene exists is to tell us that there is a proof out there for the marriage, and it will surely come into play later, as was already said.

Are you/were you married (yes/no)

After a long, shitty day of work, followed by an hour of traffic, sometimes the last things you want to hear are the little man/woman running their mouths

“… And, the mailman came over and told me that he’d fuck me until I couldn’t walk…”
“Sigh. Uh-huh”

Speaking of Varys, I thought the conversation between Tyrion and Varys to be pretty off-putting. I mean, to dismiss the violence of war, when they have both been front and center at the front of the cart as it steamrolled everywhere else, seemed like the things we hear from the asswipes on Capitol Hill. It’s war. She did the right thing by giving them both a choice, and showing the actions of that choice, which they saw and could have guessed anyway.

That it turned Tyrion’s stomach while seeing that really, really rubbed me the wrong way. And to further it, that he whined about it to Varys who also partook of hand wringing was just plain stupid. It was a game-changing moment for Tyrion, as though he wishes he had picked the other side at this point. Then do it.

In fact throw the both of them on the battlefield and let them feel the heat a little more. It’s the schemers that think everything can be solved through political maneuvering, while amassing armies of conscripted soldiers to defend them, that speaks volumes about just how out-of-touch they are about a war.

Or maybe our dynamic duo has made the age-old discovery that “…its glory is all moonshine…”

War is hell, indeed.

I’m not saying Sam being human is wrong. I am simply saying he messed up. Him not paying attention is not a positive and it’s not something we often see from Sam who has always paid attention to detail.

I’m good with it. The atrocities of the Targaryens when they took over Westeros is something people only read about for a long time. It’s like our understanding of how Ghengis Khan waged war. Highly successful, but we would balk at rolling our enemies up in carpets and trampling them to death, or literally salting the earth after conquering a city. Keep in mind that Aerys is the “Mad King” to most people because of how he acted towards the end. Couple that with the sheer destructive force of the dragon and it’s pretty easy to understand why Tyrion and Varys are thinking about how to rein Dany in a little.

Tyrion’s been in battle. 3 times, IIRC. He’s not at all effective but he’s been there and seen it first hand, shared the danger with the soldiers. Can’t say the same for Varys.

Which is what bugged me more. I mean, bombing ships full of those who will drown = okay. But dragonfires, whoa, that’s too real.

I know right? It’s like napalm versus mustard gas.

It was Tyrion’s people that were being roasted. People he probably knew. Lannister soldiers.

The Tarly’s fate he probably didn’t feel it as much, but from a PR perspective it’s terrible, burning people is what gave the Mad King his name. Sure, burning your enemies sends a message, but it’s a double edged sword.

As for John Snow being the proper King, heh, not until he has 3 Dragons he isn’t, doesn’t matter what a piece of paper says. Not that I think it will matter, he and Dany either end up living together or one or both die.

Absolutely a fair point, coinciding with his speaking out loud to Jaime.

I think it’s more than that. Dragons (and dragonfire in particular) is the only vestige of magic left in the world, for most. It’s a difference in kind and not just degree. It is something that would be akin to only one nation/ruler in the entirety of our world having nuclear weapons. The show has shown entire keeps melted to the ground with dragonfire. Sure, wildfire can do a huge amount of damage in Westeros, but it is difficult to make, difficult to transport, difficult to use. Dragons just show up literally out of the blue sky and wipe out entire houses. Wildfire is not magic.

Sure, you might be just as dead if they burned you with wildfire or at the stake, but imagine if that ruler used that singular power as a terror weapon, and not just a way to make two guys dead.

Oh, I agree. See my post above.

My big complaint about last night isn’t Sam and Gilly, or Tyrion and Varys, or even the ad-hoc Dirty Dozen. The big plotline from last night that I find absolutely moronic is the Arya/Sansa/Littlefinger war of witlessness. Both girls should know that Littlefinger is a scheming shit, and the idea that Arya and Sansa are about to be at each others’ throats over a message Sansa sent when she was a literal prisoner of Cersei’s is weak as hell. Arya is acting like a damn idiot. She’s mad because Sansa is doing her best to hold the Northern lords together while Jon galavants off to wherever? Also, she didn’t notice Littlefinger doing exactly what she did for the past couple of scenes? Arya shouldn’t be this dumb.

I hope this whole sister frenemy story is more nuanced in the books, or the whole thing turns out to be a secret plot by the sisters to manipulate Littlefinger, because what we’re seeing now is stupid.

BTW, remind me what Zombie Gregor Clegane’s official name is now? Ser [something] Strong, right?

Ser Robert Strong

Watching Tyrion walk through the ashes of the Lannister army felt like watching people walk through the aftermath of Hiroshima. It just had that nuclear winter look to it. The Dothraki’s alone would have gotten the job done, but the Dragons were just an extra f-you.

I think Tyrion got the sense Dany will just burn the whole thing to the ground.