Game of Thrones (HBO)

I personally thought the chain was summoned. Something akin to their icy weapons, which also look magical in some summoned type of way. Otherwise there would be a HUGE forge somewhere just cranking out wight weapons for their growing army.

So if they can summon weapons, why not a chain?

I’ll be generous and give them a full day pass on the time thanks to magical dragon flight, but that leaves 3 days passing on that rock with the math working. 3 days fully exposed to the elements. I don’t see how they lived.

I feel that the show was depicting the passage of time in a literal way. That thanks to dragon flight, their proximity to the Wall, and rocket raven magic, only one night passed on the rock. It’s dumb, but I think that’s what the show was going for.

Why the obsession over dragonglass? It doesn’t do a thing against wights, only the actual Others themselves.

Why was the Hound using the hammer instead of the sword that he’s fought with his entire life? Is this really the time to add a new proficiency?

It’s hard to judge the temperature it was supposed to be, they were well bundled but I don’t remember seeing anyone eat, only drink. But based on the ice refreezing we can guess from 1-5 days depending on how cold it was.

BBQ Thoros.

We’re gonna need a lot more ranch at table 5.

The ice freezing math also fails to take into account the supernatural abilities of the Walkers to freeze things around them.

Shit, you’re right, Mark. But then again, wouldn’t they just have frozen a path along the ocean as a method of going around the wall already?

They have shown that a little. In the opening scrawl the ocean near Eastwatch is freezing over. I am giving them some leeway here on the time because the salt water takes longer to freeze and it is a larger body of water. Refreeezing a small-ish lake is pretty easy.

Same reason astronauts helmets have lights pointing into the astronauts face.

I can’t recall if that was the case in the book, but it’s pretty clear in the show that dragon glass takes down wights. Mormont killed the bear with it and then everyone, other than Snow, was using dragon glass for most of the last stand.

Reddit also believes that homing pigeons can fly 50 mph for 40 hours straight, so I wouldn’t take it too seriously. (More reasonable assumptions would be 40 mph for 16 hours before resting.)

Yeah, I can’t remember how it is in the books, but in the show at one point in the last couple of episodes they explicitly touted its efficacy against walkers and wights.

I dunno. Neither dragon glass nor Valerian steel have been shown to do too much more than “mundane” weaponry on the wights.

Walkers turn to ice and shatter when pierced by obsidian or Valerian steel - a very dramatic effect.

But those same weapons just seem to cut into wights and do the expected physical damage. They don’t immediately fall over, explode into ice, or do anything else dramatic. It seems pretty much on par with what happens when they’re hit by a normal weapon.

I’ll have to watch the bear attack again, but I’m pretty sure that Jon and a couple red-shirt Wildlings get some hits onto the bear with Longclaw and some (presumed) dragon glass weapons. I got the impression that it was brought down by a dagger through the back of the skull, not specifically by an obsidian dagger through the back of the skull.

Beric runs up and stabs it in the shoulder and it just “dies” all of a sudden. It’s savaging the crap out of Thoros up until that exact moment.

I guess I’m wrong about dragonglass. In the book it definitely doesn’t do anything special against wights though so it’s a show-only feature. Was that ever shown though (other than the bear, which may or may not have been stabbed by dragonglass)? I can’t remember a wight ever being killed with dragonglass. Did they just assume that it would kill them because Sam killed an Other with that dagger?

Other than put them down for good, which isn’t the case for regular steel. The entire team (other than Jon) switches over to stone weapons during the last stand. If it was no better than regular steel, that doesn’t make any sense.

What’s the deal with flame damage then? I didn’t see much of a point as it didn’t seem to slow down the bear or the wights.

If I had a flaming sword, I’d use it even if it didn’t do any extra damage. It’s a friggin’ flaming sword.

On a somewhat related note, I thought Thoros was going to bounce right back after taking a swig of his liquor and start doing drunken master levels of destruction. I guess not.

Fashion Thrones should be a thing.

I’m pretty sure it’s Jorah Mormont that does the bear in with a dragonglass dagger. Beric is one of the guys that drags Thoros off right after the bear is down, with Jorah still in the frame. Jorah’s clearly seen wielding the same dragonglass dagger later on during the last stand.