Game of Thrones (HBO)

Removing picture for possible spoiler, sorry.

Wait, why is Tyrion there? :)

So is Viserion the legendary Ice Dragon now? Or is that going to show up in the series finale as some kind of Deus Ex Machina?

I have suspicions, but I didn’t read books very carefully. Should I delete?

No, I’m just kidding. There is a theory about Tyrion being a secret Targaryen, and many fans believe in that, but I am not buying it, for now. That’s why I’ve said that. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

haha ok. I’m not entirely sure it’s real or not. There isn’t anywhere the overwhelming number of clues there are as for Jon Snow. The only one I can remember for Tyrion is around season 5/6 when he goes see the chained dragons and doesn’t get eaten. You could say it was just showing his bravery and curiosity, but it could also be a clue and a wink.

The episode director, Alan Taylor, admits the timing in the episode was fudged a bit.

“We were aware that timing was getting a little hazy,” Taylor told Variety. “We’ve got Gendry running back, ravens flying a certain distance, dragons having to fly back a certain distance…In terms of the emotional experience, [Jon and company] sort of spent one dark night on the island in terms of storytelling moments. We tried to hedge it a little bit with the eternal twilight up there north of The Wall. I think there was some effort to fudge the timeline a little bit by not declaring exactly how long we were there. I think that worked for some people, for other people it didn’t. They seemed to be very concerned about how fast a raven can fly but there’s a thing called plausible impossibilities, which is what you try to achieve, rather than impossible plausibilities. So I think we were straining plausibility a little bit, but I hope the story’s momentum carries over some of that stuff.”

USA Today of all places brings up an excellent point:

The last stand of the Magnificent Seven (Six) happened close enough to the Wall that Gendry was able to run back. Gendry could not have run for days, so we’re talking about a distance a man could run, through winter conditions, in a single day.

Forget all the other stuff about ravens and dragons and finding the same spot…and focus just on the distance Gendry ran. When everyone else arrives back at Eastwatch by dragon uber, they KNOW the Night King and his army are LESS THAN ONE DAY’S DISTANCE from the Wall. Now granted, the undead don’t run, but they also don’t eat, sleep or crap, so they could plod the same distance Gendry ran in twice the time it took him at most. So then when Jon shows up on BenJen’s horse, they characters at Eastwatch know the Night King is only 24 hours or so from reaching the Wall.

So why the fuck would you load everyone on a ship and head to King’s Landing? Why would you undertake a journey of DAYS, a journey that could end with everyone involved dead or imprisoned, when you KNEW the Night King was going to assault the Wall literally at any moment? The characters don’t know that he’s stopped to go find giant chains and resurrect the dragon. To them he is only a few miles away with his entire army.

The decision makes zero sense. Even if they can sail to King’s Landing in a couple of days, then talk to Cersei and somehow convince her to support the cause, they then have to consolidate forces and march armies all the way to the Wall, which would take weeks. Meanwhile, the Night King is just going to politely wait on the other side of the Wall?

Plot. Hole.

Because the undead can’t breach the Wall. That’s the whole point of the Wall. They don’t know about the dracolich.

I think the finale is going to be the wights melting the wall with dragonfire.

The undead army moves REALLY slowly! Plot hole solved.

Night King is just Bran trolling everyone for the lols. It explains why he takes so long between spear shots. He knows he wins in the end.

This image
shows the path the Night King (red line) has traveled versus Jon’s travels (green line) since Hardhome.

Obviously, there’s something more than just distance traveled involved.

[quote=“Wallapuctus, post:8898, topic:48713, full:true”]
Because the undead can’t breach the Wall. That’s the whole point of the Wall. [/quote]

If that’s what everyone believes then why bother with anything Jon Snow is doing? If they believe the wall is an impenetrable barrier, then the Night’s Watch should be all they need to defend it. All this dragonglass and dragons and more men stuff is pointless. Westeros doesn’t need anything North of the Wall, so seal up the gateways and thumb your noses at the Night King for all eternity.

Even if Jon thinks the wall will hold the Night King back for a time, he wouldn’t leave Eastwatch, he’d want to be in charge of the defense. They are out of time, the decision they’re making is stupid given the information they possess.

I’m pretty sure the undead run. Don’t they charge after the group, forcing them onto the ice? And in the season 1 prolog, they run after the trio. And they run after Bran, Hodor, and company.

And for that matter, it should doubly be game over now that the Night King has a dragon. We’ve seen how fast Dany can get around the world on one, we’ve seen the damage a single dragon could do to the Lannister army. Now imagine a dragon that could shrug off those ballista shots, with a similarly invulnerable “pilot” and no compunctions about collateral damage to the kingdom. The Night King and that one dragon should have burninated half of Westeros in the time it took me to write this paragraph.

There is also magic in the Wall that prevents the dead from passing through it. That’s why Coldhands couldn’t go in with Sam.

As an aside, Martin had to be trolling us with Samwel as a play on Samwise, right?

I meant they don’t run when simply moving from place to place, so Gendry would have covered the distance faster than the Night King’s army will.

Jon is half-dead at the moment. He can charge nothing.

Regarding the wight dragon and how unstoppable it is, I suspect the solution could be Bran Stark, pardon, Three-eyed raven. The Night King greatest weapon could turn out to be his greatest weakness. Just my theory.

Well, the Night king is Bran though, so…

Ok I’ve seen this crop up a few times, but what the hell is this coming from. I don’t follow the theory, R+L=J is pretty straightforward in comparison