Game of Thrones (HBO)

who is paying for the wall???

Yeah, about that…

It’s clear after Sansa turns the tables on Littlefinger that she has had some sort of conversation with Bran, but we don’t get to see it. When did it take place?
We actually did a scene that clearly got cut, a short scene with Sansa where she knocks on Bran’s door and says, “I need your help,” or something along those lines. So basically, as far as I know, the story was that it suddenly occurred to Sansa that she had a huge CCTV department at her discretion and it might be a good idea to check with him first before she guts her own sister. So she goes to Bran, and Bran tells her everything she needs to know, and she’s like, “Oh, s—.”

This is kind of the problem with where the series has gone though.

For years, when characters did something dumb in GoT? They died. Like, they died every freaking time.

Ned Stark, totally central character… makes stupidly obvious his whole plan, because of “teh honer”. Dies.

Rob Stark, decides to fuck over they Freys by marrying some chick he loves. Dies. (Lannister was kind of just using Rob’s action as a cover, but whatev)

Baratheon is basically a turbo idiot since before the series starts… dies.

The snake spear guy beats the mountain’s ass, then gets cocky… dies.

Now though, folks (I’m looking at you, Jon Snow) do stupid crap repeatedly and survive.

Sure, not every (or even most) lapse in judgment resulted in death, but those mistakes certainly didn’t go unpunished. Here are just a few examples:

• Tyrion’s endless botched military plans had a ton of negative fallout. Cersei gained ground, white walkers had more time, Euron destroyed the rest of the Greyjoy fleet, Yara got captured. Daenerys no longer trusted his counsel.

• Jaime’s reluctance to use the crossbow weapon early on enabled the dragon to do more damage than it otherwise might have. And then, later on in the battle, he used it anyway when he probably shouldn’t have - now they tipped their hand about their weapon, and Daenerys and the rest know it exists and can try to defend against it.

• The entire misguided plan to get a wight from the north accomplished nothing, resulted in the death of Thoros so Beric is on his last life, and it gave the Night King just the tool they needed to break through the wall

• Littlefinger got too over-confident, leading to his demise

I guess I feel like the absurd plan to go north of the wall was so incredibly bad, that Jon Snow deserved to die for it, instead of getting saved by like 5 miracles in a row.

Maybe it will all be justified by finally shaking Jamie free from Cersei. Odds are he’ll be the one to put an end to her, and it took the wight to get him to leave her side.

I think it’s more in the hairdo. Somebody in one of the reviews says that in the books GRRM tells us that Viserys modelled himself on Rhaegar - that’s probably what the similarity in looks is alluding to.

Watching some of the reaction videos it’s amusing to see that a few people were like “whu?” when they momentarily thought it was Viserys.

I’ve been binging on reaction videos, quite funny sometimes. There’s something about watching other peoples’ reactions that helps you calibrate your own.

I have a different impression. People often die no matter what they do.

Cercei is not dead although she has been doing stupid things all the time. Tywin is dead due to his actions, although they are not something people would call ‘stupid’. So is Roose Bolton. So is Walder Frey. Littlefinger? He is not dead in the books but I have no doubt he will die in a similar fashion to the TV series, crying and begging.

Tyrion in love with Daenrys is stupid. They better not do it. SO stupid.

I don’t know, I think it would be pretty consistent with the characters. Tyrion tends to fall in love with pretty girls, especially those that show him affection. I’m not sure what the sex work regulations are like in Mereen or Dragonstone but he’s probably pretty lonely as well. Meanwhile, mostly every guy who comes across Daenrys falls in love with her in time. The only ones who haven’t is Grey Worm and Varys, for obvious reasons. Seems pretty reasonable to me!

The scale of the plots, cast size, and many interwoven story lines. Far more than practically any other show would ever attempt. Heck there are major characters who have had complex developments and arcs who didn’t ever meet for many seasons. It’s an amazingly large complex, dense show that is probably a nightmare to,produce yet they pull it off year after year while going ever bigger.

Also all I need to do is also,point to this thread. Name another show that gets the same attention as this one. GoT is event TV. The only show currrently on that I think can say that.

But the original plan of GRRM for the series included a love triangle between Jon, Arya and Tyrion, with a bit of incest thrown in there. What if Arya only switch role with Daenerys? That is just a speculation, but you cannot deny that it has a solid foundation.

Right, but we only give it attention because we’re hipster haterz, remember? Imagine how expansive this thread would be if any of us actually enjoyed Game of Thrones!

-Tom

wow… I don’t know who you are, but you were pretty accurate

One thing is pretty clear.

Sam and Gilly. He already knew about Prince Rhaegar’s second marriage, because he had previously copied the book. He needs an apology from many fans who have screamed at him for “not listening”. ;)

Although, the show did a poor job of making that clear, I suppose.

In the original plan those three characters were also totally different people.
Tyrion isn’t in (romantic) love with Daenerys, he is in love with his position/influence over her and what she stands for. So far he was her main advisor and her “go to”-guys (so pretty much the 2nd most powerful person on their side) but Jon obviously threatens that position. She starts to listen to him and values his opinion.
When Tyrion is outside the room he realises that things will change if Dany and Jon get into a relationship and that will have consequences on many levels, including his own position and relationship with Dany.

This seems like the most likely explanation. I also think Dany was right about Tyrion, he still has loyalties to his family. She was also right about Varys. She can’t trust either of them. That’s why the scene of them half-heartedly scheming earlier in the season was important.

@Leinad

I won’t say you are not right, because that was my initial interpretation, too, and I still believe that to be true. But:

1. that doesn’t mean there are no romantic undertones in his behavior;

2. GRRM was not ‘above’ the idea of a love triangle between his major characters.

You can say that the show hasn’t earned that moment yet, and you would probably be right, but if you are saying that (love triangle) situation doesn’t make sense, I disagree 100%.

Kudos to him if he actually predicted this, though after season 7 ended, I went back and read through the massive season 7 leak from the end of last year. Nearly all of it is 100% on the money:

Its not about it being actual its about it being earned. The part of why the first four season of GoT being great was that most of the twists and turns were very much earned (due to the actual books being the main influence). Since Tyrion has met Dany in the show, there has been barely any notice of him having a romantic longing for her, yes he admires her and even says so, but except for that long glance at the door last episode, there was never any indication.

I still like the show alot, and I get that they don’t have time and money to stretch the show. But the last season just felt very rushed and the payoff was not as good as the lead up to the Red Wedding and Hardhome episodes. There was also way too many deus ex moments this season that it almost became funny… how many times can we expect the good guys get saved at the last moment! I get it, the shows almost over, no time to waste!