Game of Thrones (HBO)

Because the one weakness Tyrion has always shown is a wee bit too much confidence in his own cleverness.

They made that pretty clear. He was there on a last-ditch mission to negotiate a truce after Jon Snow blew it up by not swearing to Cersei. Tyrion thought he sincerely convinced Cersei to accept a truce because he deduced that she was pregnant, and therefore would do it to protect her unborn child.

Was Cersei smart enough to place her hand on her belly at that moment to prod Tyrion into thinking he’d been clever when he was really being led into her trap? Maybe. She was certainly clever enough to have Euron put on a show of leaving when he was really directed to go get the Golden Company.

I’ll argue the counter to this: Dany had a thing for bad-boys, which is why she fell for Daario. But last season (or Book 5 if you prefer) was much about her realizing that such feelings and her attraction to him were not the way to go if she wanted to be Queen. She specifically left Daario in Meereen because she knew that he would not be a partner who would… further her career, if you will.

Jon Snow, on the other hand, must be a pleasant surprise for her. She expected to have to wed someone barely viable (from an attraction perspective) for a political alliance; possibly someone she didn’t even respect. Jon’s refusal to bend to her wishes for halfway noble reasons, his obvious dedication to his people, and the fact that he’s ALSO young and hot and controls half the continent are pretty much winning the political hook-up lottery for her.

And she saw that he had taken a knife in the heart for his cause. That fact impressed her enormously.

I liked this article on the possible endings of the series.

I still think that if the books ever do get finished, there’s a possibility of a subversive ending, even though that’s not where the TV show is going.

Eh, the article’s making a meal out of nothing. Surely it’s not that hard to have a “bittersweet” ending - Jon + Dany are together as per standard trope, yes, but Dany could die in childbirth (which I think is what’s likely to happen as it fulfils the prophecy that she’ll be childless in a typically sneakily prophetic way). Or you could have a “good” ending with the Whitewalkers defeated, and Tyrion more or less in control of the kingdom in one way or another (so it’s kind of good for the people of Westeros), but lots of the main characters we love die. Or you could have the Whitewalkers winning in Westeros but our main heroes escaping to Essos and surviving/vowing to fight another day.

Numerous ways of both serving and subverting the typical tropes at the same time.

I hope the ending is at least somewhat happy so I can watch the series. I own the Blu Ray versions of GoT for seasons 1-4 and have not even cracked season 2. It simply is too grim for me to continue to watch. There are so many good characters and they all get killed in horrible ways while evil is allowed to linger and then thrive. I simply do not want to get invested in characters only to see them all die. There is enough of that in real life for me to not want that in my TV shows. I am very interested in the series though. So I will wait another year to see how it ends. If the ending is not exceptionally horribly depressing then I will watch the series straight through.

Should probaly stop if characters dying matters that much. There’s a core group that will last but a GoT main theme is about its “rotating cast” shall we say. This is a brutal and blunt world where when bad things happen there isn’t some crazy coinsedence to save people all the time like some generic network show.

I guess what I am saying is that I need some hope. Thus I will wait to see if the series has a bleak, miserable ending. If so I will sell my Blu Ray sets unopened. If it is not totally dreadful then I will open them up and eagerly watch them.

I have read about book release after the tv show catches up, right now it seem like it’s already past that point but no info on the book at all. Anyone knows something about a possible release date? I kind of prefer the book version, didnt like the last season at all. I dont know if it’s just me , but I believe the series are a lot like Final Fantasy series, I played this game a lot, farmed a lot of ff14 gil and items and items.

Basically the last info was “maaaaybe a 2018 release”, so yeah, we’re stuck with the unsatisfying TV show resolutions for quite a while.

It turns out that not even Stannis really knew what was going on in Westeros.

AKA, actor really overthinks it, nobody cares if you’ve gone full method and actually embody the character as long as the performance is believable.

Final season is now 2019.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/12/07/sophie-turner-confirms-game-of-thrones-season-8-wont-air-until-2019/#7c4445038034

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I could have sworn we already knew this, didn’t we? I think someone posted something about that when the last season ended, that the next one would be in 2019?

Season 7 was so atrociously bad I really can’t be bothered to care. The writing is so ham-fisted I shudder to think how the show will end the story.

Yeah the show hasn’t quite descended into the dark, ridiculous depths that The Walking Dead has but I have the same motivation for watching both shows at this point: I just want to see how it all ends.

I like individual scenes, but I agree overall that more and more I find myself watching a scene, and then trying to imagine how that scene probably will play out in the books. So I sort of find myself “unfiltering” the fan fiction nature of the series, trying to imagine “well, that scene probably resulted because GRRM said this sentence to them, and they extrapolated that in this way”. Sort of a reverse engineering to get back at the original message.

Always thought it was going to get pushed into 2019, but I’m ok with it. Finish strong.

I’m starting to rewatch Season 1 with an eye to studying the structure. The very first episode is interesting in a number of ways. Given the absolutely crazy amount of character intros and plot exposition that have to be crammed into an hour, it’s done pretty elegantly – but it’s almost entirely setup, and might have tried the patience of non-book fans when they first tuned in. (I remember watching it with a friend, actually, when it first aired; he was pretty confused and I had to keep explaining things to him since I’d read the first book.)

I’m also studying Ozark, incidentally. It seems that, like feature screenplays, hourlong TV episodes often turn on a midpoint scene. In the case of GoT S1 Ep1, the exact midpoint comes when Robert and Ned are in the crypt, and Robert asks Ned to come to King’s Landing and be his Hand. This I think can be viewed not only as the midpoint for the episode but also as the de facto “inciting incident” for the entire season, as it sets off Ned’s adventure in King’s Landing that will ultimately end in his death, the dissolution of the tenuous Baratheon peace, and the scattering of the Stark family to the four winds.

I counted no fewer than 15 major characters intro’d in this episode, some of whom won’t be unveiled as “major” until many episodes down the road:

Ned Stark
Caitlyn
Robb
Bran
Jon Snow
Robert Baratheon
Cersei
Jaime
Tyrion
Daenerys
Viserys
Khal Drogo
Jorah Mormont
Theon Greyjoy
Joffrey

There are of course also a number of minor characters, like Maester whatsisname at Winterfell, Uncle Benjin, and, umm, well probably a few others. Maybe Rickon is running around somewhere. It was a real pleasure to see Theon in the background of some scenes. I didn’t remember he’d already been in the show at that early point.

Although I confess to being somewhat disappointed that the Big Bad of Game of Thrones has always ever basically been Zombies, I’m nonetheless impressed with the long-term focus seen in this episode. The very first scene of the very first episode of the very first season establishes a threat that will still be paying off seven years later.

Also, there are only two major moments of action/violence in this episode, and they exactly bookend it: the first scene with the White Walkers, and the last scene where Jaime pushes Bran out the window. It was very smart to end with that cliffhanger (cliff-faller?), as even befuddled audiences might be likely to tune in next week, same Thrones-time, same Thrones-channel, to see if that annoying kid died or not. Plus the incest bit is intriguing.

(The episode does have a bit more action/violence – the Dothraki wedding battle, and the beheading of the Night’s Watch deserter – but these are rather peripheral. All in all, it’s a very talky episode. Which is totally fine: even in today’s world of enormous budgets I feel that most television is 90% talking heads and the medium feels in some ways more akin to radio than cinema.)

Although GoT will be a wide-ranging show sometimes showing many locations/POVs within a single episode, this first episode is relatively restrained, only showing Winterfell and Pentos. By focusing on the frosty North and the warmer Pentos, and giving substantial intros to both Jon Snow and Daenerys, the episode immediately sets up the Ice/Fire duality.