Game of Thrones (HBO)

As long as he keeps supporting Meow Wolf I don’t care what he writes.

Probably the best ad on tonight.

I have to admit, it really shocked me. I’ve been watching these light-hearted Bud-Knight dilly dilly ads for a year a half now, and to see the Bud Knight killed brutally like that was pretty unexpected and disgusting. The fact that it turned out to be a Game of Thrones ad was just perfect.

It’s in my Top 3. The NFL 100 commercial was fan-frickin’-tastic and fun.

The Game of Thrones commercial was just sheer disbelief at first. It’s a joyful and fun commercial that suddenly turns dark as hell. So, just another Game of Thrones episode!

The articles on the commercial are coming out, and it’s a lot of fun.

The Bud Light commercials were originally inspired by Game of Thrones, and so when the opportunity to “join forces” came around, Bud Light signed up. Now that the commercial has aired, the Bud Light folks sound a bit squeemish about how much creative control HBO had.

The commercial itself was directed by David Nutter, who directed the Red Wedding episode. And Benioff and Weiss were involved.

I mean, I agree completely, the Bud Knight had to die.

Dilly dilly…

All I know is that the next Bud Light commercial better have the Bud Knight waking up like Jon Snow.

It was even better coming after the previous Bud Light commercial carrying on about how their competitors use corn syrup in the brewing process. Seriously, why should I give a shit about that? Requiescat in pace, Bud Knight.

Seems like Martin needs a bit less Executive Time on Twitter.

I’ve been through Meow Wolf. Not sure that is going to make sense to a lot of folks.

These are some nice posters; HBO has released versions for each major character.

Rewatched the entire series over the past month to get ready for this finally ending. Everything was actually better the second time around, as I guess my expectations were a bit lower and my book knowledge has faded a bit more. Then I hit season 7, episode 6 last night and all the horribleness came rushing back. Don’t even want to watch the final episode now, as the bitter taste of awfulness will likely consume me.

What a horrible, shitty episode S7E6 is. Wow.

I honestly don’t even remember what happened, it’s been so long.

I thought that was an awesome episode. It’s the one where… right?

The Dirty Dozen fight a battle in the middle of a frozen lake and the dragon is killed by the Night King?

Why do you not like that episode?

I guess it’s the same episode but from my viewpoint it’s more:

Dirty Dozen make completely unnecessary and contrived journey north of the Wall to retrieve a wight for some ridiculous reason, kill a walker which somehow conveniently ends all the the wights attacking except one, then get trapped in the middle of a pond. Gendry is then sent to run back to Castle Black, whereupon a raven is sent off to Dany on the other side of the world, who then changes clothes and takes off with her dragons to come rescue our heroes at the exact second they’re about be overwhelmed. Nevermind how the walkers just stood there waiting indefinitely until the right time to attack. Nor how he could have just picked them off with his awesome spear throwing accuracy.
Or the fact that they would have been completely fucked by literally thousands of wights attacking at once, yet somehow they hold out because the wights luckily only attack one at a time.

But that’s not even the best part. Dany arrives in the nick of time, starts roasting all the wights while ignoring the walker command unit just standing there, watching their army burn. She lands and rescues the heroes, except for Jon, who inexplicably feels the need to keep fighting off the lone stragglers. Meanwhile, the Night King decides enough is enough, grabs his ice spear, looks at Dany and all the heroes on the dragon literally RIGHT IN FRONT of him, turns to the right, and hurls it at the flying dragon in order to show off his most excellent throwing skill, killing it and sending it to the bottom of the pond.

Not to outdone by the ridiculousness, Jon then falls in the pond, somehow claws his own way out even though he’d be a human popsicle immediately, and is rescued by his uncle after Dany heads out. Benjen then tells Jon, sorry, no time for me to ride off with you, then stands there and sadly watches Jon ride off on his own. I stopped watching at that point but I think Jon fucks his aunt after that, and they get ready for whatever happens in episode 7.

I won’t go into theories in-depth, but there are feasible theories about why Jon does what he does, doesn’t get on the dragon of another rider and that the night king was actually waiting for the dragon to show up thus the reasons the wights waited.

Then again GoT is a series that loves theories and has had hundreds proven incorrect in the past.

Sounds like they’re just trying to explain stuff that makes no real sense.

I don’t see why the Night King would ever expect three dragons to show up (how would he even know they exist?) and rescue this particular group of men. But even if he was waiting, why not attack the dragons immediately with his ice spears instead of waiting for most of his army to be completely destroyed? The whole battle was just an excuse to show them toasting wights, which looked very cool but made no real sense.

One thing they have done a really poor job with once they finished following the books is travel time. When they were following the books, it was never an issue, since it’s not an issue in the books, but in Season 7 in particular, geography and travel times just become something the writers hand-wave away. I can tolerate some of that, but I agree that timing and waiting last minute heroics in this particular episode really made it hard to ignore these issues.

I humbly respect your opinion but…
eyes gleam with fanboi-ism
You’re wrong… WRONG!
foams at the mouth

Nah, I understand what you mean. Game of Thrones has always walked a fine line between the grounded, realistic political scheming and high fantasy and that episode definitely leaned hard into the high fantasy area. I’m quite happy to suspend my disbelief though and I just get caught up in the drama of it all regardless of the logic.